A short questionnaire for anyone who has lived full time or semi full time (perhaps including long trips) as part of my M.Sc dissertation. (2 Viewers)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
With the approval of the boss man, Jim, I will (subject to my universities ethics committee approval) be posting a short questionnaire about vanlife / full time living in a mobile home / camper etc. Responses will be entirely privite. It will be part of my dissertation for my master's degree in environmental health.

I'd just like to post this in the hope of advertising the fact before hand and to ask who would be kind enough to help me in my studies?

I shall try and keep it brief and I will provide more details after university approval.

Depending on guidence from my school's accademics this may take a few weeks or months to come to fruition.

My thanks in advance to our kind and helpful community.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Best wishes to all,
Jack.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Count me in, we lived full time in our motorhome for 18months between house moves.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Generalist data is of little benefit to the individual, as with all normative averages individuals are not considered.
In my view your MSc is at risk of becoming a tick box exercise, there consider carefully the desired outcome and potential distortion of data.
From the perspective of the individual I can little or no benefit.
I look forward to your conclusions and evidence declared.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Generalist data is of little benefit to the individual, as with all normative averages individuals are not considered.
In my view your MSc is at risk of becoming a tick box exercise, there consider carefully the desired outcome and potential distortion of data.
Wow that's a heavy and deep response to the ops post, chill manšŸ˜€

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I rember a similar request when I did mine I was surprised not one person approached turned me down I am sure you will get the help you need looking forward to reading the finished article

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Havenā€™t got a clue what was just said šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Lived in the van full time for about 5 years mix of travelling and working, using the van as a mobile hotel room.
Very happy to be contacted. Good luck with your proposal.

Karen

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!

I hope not. I guess we will see in the end, when it is done.

So long as it gets me my degree.... ;)

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Lived in the van full time for about 5 years mix of travelling and working, using the van as a mobile hotel room.
Very happy to be contacted. Good luck with your proposal.

Karen

Thanks. I'll let you know when it is ready.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Err???
Ask away I'll be pleased to answer in my best plain English.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Never lived in mine so canā€™t help.

I think itā€™s great you are looking at it though. My Mentor during my MSc did her Doctorate on people that live on canal boats. It was absolutely fascinating stuff.

I know it might be a long way off but I would love a read of it once itā€™s complete if you are happy to share.

The ethics was the hardest bit of my MSc, I just did a qualitative study of social media perspectives and used interviews to gather the primary data. Even anonymised it still took me 9 drafts to get it through ethics.

Good luck and donā€™t get disheartened, they write themselves once the data is in. šŸ‘

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Never lived in mine so canā€™t help.

I think itā€™s great you are looking at it though. My Mentor during my MSc did her Doctorate on people that live on canal boats. It was absolutely fascinating stuff.

I know it might be a long way off but I would love a read of it once itā€™s complete if you are happy to share.

The ethics was the hardest bit of my MSc, I just did a qualitative study of social media perspectives and used interviews to gather the primary data. Even anonymised it still took me 9 drafts to get it through ethics.

Good luck and donā€™t get disheartened, they write themselves once the data is in. šŸ‘

Good grief, I hope it doesn't take me 8 drafts! Was yours done with the NHS? I know they are very strict and the process quite slow! My tutor wants us all to stay clear of NHS involvement, if we can help it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I will try to provide the finished document to anyone who participates or expresses an interest.

I've always fancied a canal boat too. Lovely things, wondering slowly through the countryside. Must be less stressful than driving a van about. (Even if it is a lot slower!) I keep scaring the misses with "ideas" about doing one up, like the van! They seem expensive things to keep though. Perhaps in a few years...

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
At the Uni I attended, the Emergency Preparedness were part of the Health Sciences faculty so everything ethics had to go through the health ethics committee.

All good fun once itā€™s sorted. šŸ˜†šŸ‘

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
May not be of use, but we spent 6 months in a static caravan when moving house. Given the response about canal boats, it might add width to look at all sorts of non-standard accomodation. Depends on your real focus but if it helps, we would be happy to help.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Do wot?

MSc?

Now then, if you had said McD I would have got it.

I hope you get the responses you hope for CamperJack to help you.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Hi Jack, wife and I have been living full time in our van for past 18 months, travelling UK, France and currently Spain.

Please let us know how we can assist you once you have your plans confirmed.

Good luck!

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I'm full timing depending on wether the Mrs lets me back in tomorrow night!šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Good luck with the MSc!

I'd read the canal boat one it might give you some steerage.....

I'll get my coat!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back