Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
You know how they say bad luck comes in threes, well after having a really bad experience with one supplier of suspension parts, we were booked in to have an awning fitted by a company in Poole.
I went down the night before and parked in their car park over night so i was there first thing.
We had previously driven down to be measured up as brackets needed to be fabricated to match the curvature of the roof, also it was suggested that some additional roof spar braces were added to help with the long term functionality.
The day before i took out the trim, top of the shower etc and got the mechanic we work with to make some additional plates and weld in some additional strengthening brace bars.
The awning was massive 5 metre x 3 metre self supporting, we were quoted a weight of approx 65 kilo but when i tried to lift it, i would say it was more.
So my partner picked me up and we went for lunch, when we got back the awning was on. When i asked if all was OK the fitter said well you better come and take a look, here we go i hear you saying, Yes.
The awning was fully out and trying to push the plates it was attached to through the gel coat roof of my van, splitting and deforming the gel coat at the front and in the middle of the roof section.
A hardwood wedge had been pushed in at the front to try to mitigate some of the weight and twisting of the awning on the fixing plates, what would you like us to do i was asked.
Well take it off i said! the damage had been done, now i am no expert on gel coat and to be fair when i got them to take the front plate off as well, it all sprang back to shape and did not look as bad, so i thought well we can get that repaired fit the plates properly, moving them further back onto the roof and away from the side, pop it back down and they can refit it.
So i drove home with no awning and two plates out of the three left on, next day it was booked back in for a complete overhaul of the rear suspension, whilst parked in the garage up on ramps, another customer pointed me to a local company that work on motorhome bodies and it was arranged that one of their guys come out and take a look. I got the quote £2750.00 +vat, meanwhile i had taken the other two plates off as the damage around the middle plate was also quite bad.
Now! The company have been fair and their response all the way through has also been with good intent, they were a little shocked by the quote, saying they could perhaps get it done cheaper in a body shop closer to them but when i pointed out our time, expenses, fuel, child care etc, they decided against it. The mechanic said well like all of us we are insured against such mishaps whats the problem?
When i pointed this out it was agreed that they would indeed contact their insurance company and as of today we are waiting to be contacted by them.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I wouldn't extend my 4m Fiamma awning more than is necessary to get the legs out and extended - roughly 1m. The stress on the fixing points of a cantilevered awning doesn't bear thinking about.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I wouldn't extend my 4m Fiamma awning more than is necessary to get the legs out and extended - roughly 1m. The stress on the fixing points of a cantilevered awning doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm the same, get the legs down to weight bear ASAP.

I'm astounded by how far out some people will wind the awnings out unsupported.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I have a 5mtr omnistore canopy on Helga and as soon as she's out about 2 ft I release the legs,,, it is heavy at the front, I have no idea how far it would go without it being supported?

But I wouldn't want to push it!!

All the best getting yours sorted! X

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
The awning they sold me had 2 legs with separate feet. The feet alone weighed 30 kilos and the legs came in 4 parts 4 x 1 metre lengths fixed together at the middle so would have had to find space to stow these. The awning when fitted looked alot like the ones you see on the side of Auto Windscreen vans, although they said it would be much more discreet. They did say to their credit they could have offered lighter feet.
The idea seemed to be to wind the thing out fully then fit the legs.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
It was a beast, the awning company decided to walk away from the whole deal and refund our deposit once the damage had occurred. Once the roof has been repaired we may look at the fiamma F65.
Our Van weighed at the last check 4600 kilos and is rated to 5250 kilos but a 180 litre water tank is on the list to be fitted so we will lose some payload.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
If you got one of those wind out Ines like they have over ships,, it would probably have been lighter!! Lolol.

I've heard that flammas are a good brand though!! Hope the next one works well for you,, x

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
UPDATE!!!!

The insurance company has agreed to the quote we had to cover the cost of repair to the roof and is booked in for the work to be done later this month.
A good indication of whether you are dealing with a good company or a bad one is how well the company involved sorts a problem out when one occurs,
as we all know things dont always go to plan.
So in this case i am happy to name the company; Broadview Vehicle Awnings, Poole, they have been courteous, professional and understanding in wanting to get the problem sorted for us, since the issue arose.
So a big Thankyou goes to them.
The plan now is to get the work done and head South for the winter, Spain and Portugal we think, although we feel Malta calling, as the scuba diving their is good.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Nr Bristol
Funster No
MH
Was a Rohill Minibus.
Exp
2 Years
Hi GT & Dottie,
That looks pretty neat, looks a whole lot different to a normal gazebo and much cheaper than the awning. We need to see if we have the extra storage space when fully loaded as we are about to lose some storage space when we fit a bigger water tank.
Thanks for your suggestion it does tick alot of boxes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back