A Question for those who have DIY installed semi flexible panels (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
I installed 2x120w semi-flexible panels on my last motorroam. They failed after 13 months by delaminating. The suppliers replaced them with rigid panels at my request.

I fixed the semi-flexible panels using multiple beads of sikaflex running the length of the panels but with 4-6" margin all around the edges. Having let the sikaflex go off for a couple of days I then sealed the edges with a bead of sikaflex all round. I thought I was being clever by incorporating a 'straw' from a can of WD40 into the edge bead to allow air pressure to equalise (altitude, temperature).

As I'm getting past manhandling heavy panels on a roof, I'm seriously considering going semi-flexible again. I'm wondering whether I should seal the panels edges, or not.
PRO: no pressure issues, possible lower temperature
CON: water & sh1t get under (my motorroams seldom experience frost)

What's everyone else done ?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Flexible panels don’t get good reviews on here but @Minxy Girl has them and rates them I believe.... she will be along to give here opinion shortly....:)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I wouldn't use the straw. What goes in might not come out.
Flexible panels are more expensive but lighter than rigid panels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've had rigid panels on coachbuilt MHs and campers but on our last 2 PVCs I put semi-flexible ones, neither type have given us any issues at all even after many years of use. The last PVC had a 60w panel on for over 3 years without any signs of physical or output deterioration, hence my decision to go with 2 x 100w ones on our current PVC (its got an all-electric fridge) after much debate/comment/advice (delete according to your view! :D) on this forum.

The only concern I have is that, made by others too, of semi-flexi ones getting overheated as there's no proper air gap on a coachbuilt/a-class roof to prevent this, whereas the roof of our PVC has a corrugated structure so no worry about overheating.

If I could satisfy myself that putting semi-flex panels on a totally flat roof wouldn't cause any issues I might do so, otherwise I'd go with rigid raised up off the roof.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had 2 x 100w on the last van for over 4 years no problem, and the same on this van for a year so far, we are in some hot temperatures and cant fault them. (y) Bob.

20180811_095410.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back