Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have actually done the little job that I was going to do when the MH was new last year. I put the van up on the big ramps and have been underneath it all morning and fair bit of the afternoon using Waxoyl and another deep penetrative anti corrosion fluid. All along the box sections of the chassis of the Sprinter, I have soaked it through with a long high pressure lance to mist every part of those precious steel parts. It is funny stuff, both of the oils are lanolin based and leave the skin sticky but SMOOTH, it also stinks to high heaven on the overalls. I was going to do it when I first got it but never quite got to it until today when the sun was shining and it was reasonably warm again. I did note however that there is already corrosion on some of the alloy brackets and the motorised step is already oxidised around the exposed parts. I hate rust getting into a vehicle and early sprinters were quite bad for body rust on Panel Vans and chassis box sections. I will probably not gain any advantage as it will certainly outlast me by a very long way, but a future owner might just appreciate what I have done under there.
The one thing I was most upset about was the alloy sump which has gone corroded very quickly. I was intending to etch prime it and paint it with a two-pack but it is too late already. It is less than a year since the chassis cowl was made at Stuttgart. Most of it is protected from direct road spray owing to the Hymer body construction and the big wheel flaps under there.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Use either Halfords Alloy Wheel Cleaner (expensive) or Phosphoric Acid (cheap on line). It removes the white corrosion from aluminium alloys & leaves them like new - and ready to paint.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I usually Waxoyl the exposed part of our chassis once a year, now I just use a long handled radiator paint brush with the angled head but the first time I tried to use the pump up tin and spray and what a mess I got into, I had more of the stuff on me and the floor than on the van.

As you say they will all outlast us but somebody might appreciate our hard work and dedication.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Use either Halfords Alloy Wheel Cleaner (expensive) or Phosphoric Acid (cheap on line). It removes the white corrosion from aluminium alloys & leaves them like new - and ready to paint.
I use altrans to clean allow of surface oxidation prior to weld but the sump is too pitted to do much with only after a year of being made, it get the road salt straight up onto it off the road and the wheels. I will make a deflector to go in front of it after painting it.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I put the van up on the big ramps and have been underneath it all morning and fair bit of the afternoon using Waxoyl and another deep penetrative anti corrosion fluid.
I admire your fortitude, but, was it really necessary to crawl under the truck? I mean, being horizontal whilst working can be quite dangerous for a gentleman of your age. :( Aren't you married, or at least in a deep and meaningful relationship? I always send the wife under the truck these days, but I have to admit to using high lift ramps to get her under. And whats more, women scrub up much better then us men when covered in crap. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was thinking about doing my axle and suspension bits as the last van in less than 3 years had a bit of rust building up doesn't help living a couple of hundred yards from the sea. Can't do the chassis Al-Ko state that the galvanized chassis should not be treated with anything.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was thinking about doing my axle and suspension bits as the last van in less than 3 years had a bit of rust building up doesn't help living a couple of hundred yards from the sea. Can't do the chassis Al-Ko state that the galvanized chassis should not be treated with anything.
They just want to let it rot away, depends on the quality of the galvanising they do.. A small , boat zinc anode might take a load off the chassis if you bolted on on the bottom. slows ships rusting away in seawater. rust is electrolytic corrosion after all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back