Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi i am going to have a A frame fitted to my car has anyone use towing a frames from chesterfied they do stainless frames at £849 fitted thanks

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi i am going to have a A frame fitted to my car has anyone use towing a frames from chesterfied they do stainless frames at £849 fitted thanks

Yes had one about 18 months ago on our IQ top class kit, rare you come across this standard of work can not recommend them enough a real nice guy it will take all day but there is a bus into Chesterfield. Avoid the wife she talks to much

Wetfoot001

Free Member
Apr 27, 2012
Staddiscombe
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
A few years
A frame 2 hell!!

1000 miles from home in S France & we've found a significant single point failure with electronic braked a frame towing system... The cable between servo & car brake pedal....

During hook up as per manufacturers guidelines, I pressed the test button in our Smart tow car. The servo motor actuated but brake pedal didn't move: Cable found parted or detached.

Indicator LED on MH dashboard continues to reassuringly indicate the tow car brakes are applied as accelerometer commands (even when physical connection to brake pedal no longer exists)- surely this fails to meet legal requirements?

Manufacturer advised me to pull fuses in battery tray to protect system. Up to us whether we drive or tow car home. With fuses pulled & car pedal cable u/s, I only deduced today that the (electronic) break away cable would do nothing in an emergency- worse situation than a conventional trailer?!

With all the set up problems experienced (repeat round trips with MH & car to authorised installer) & now this so far from home (=2 ruined holidays) I wish we'd gone for significantly cheaper & proven 'tractor' technology of an 'overrun ' braked system.

Moral: Don't be blinded by black box technology & impressive certificates on sellers website: read between the lines- there are significant shortcomings with this electronic braked system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there are some very simple electronic braked systems .
but it cant be that difficult to replace the cable .
mind i have driven thousands of miles with an unbraked a frame . started in the late 70,s . just nice staedy driving and think ahead. at the time that was the only a frame out there . recovered cars from all over uk and europe .

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
I got one off them to fit myself, took 14 weeks to get it to me ????????? Was first told would take 10 days, when i rang them they came up with every excuse you could think of (thats when they answered the phone) when i recived it it was crap!!!!!!!! .
It had to be modified to fit my smart car and the aframe would not line up to the car,it has now started to go rusty after a couple of months.
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE
I made the mistake of buying cheap you get what you pay for.

Wetfoot001

Free Member
Apr 27, 2012
Staddiscombe
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
A few years
Hi Vwalan,
I'm quite confident in replacing or reattaching the cable on this 6 month old system. The main problem other than the questionable reliability is the Smart Car under tray which covers 90% of the underside of the car hides the servo box to which the cable connects. The installer put the car on a commercial hydraulic ramp when he fitted and adjusted the system. Obviously we don't have access to one of these abroad. I will hopefully be able to fix the system to a more reliable standard when I get home. Just don't expect this with a system we paid nearly £2500 for six months ago!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not being familiar with the system then might be awkward .
seems like a system thats too complicated for its own good .
at that price i would want it plated in gold .
simplicity is the way.
but just drive steady . brake well in advance nice and easy.
i use an intertrade soamatic , very old big pads to rest on front bumper and chains underneath . not so good on modern cars with fibre bumpers but was fantastic in its day.
also have a harvey frost towboy ,again fantastic bit of kit . but old hat these days .
got enough recovery stuff here to start recovery again but shant be .
grandkids might ha ha .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have one of these www.rvibrake.com , there is no overrun cable , just 12v feed, inertia braking unit and remote test and monitor in motorhome.
Works well and simple to set up .
It cost just under £1000 direct from the U.S. Plus an unbraked a frame £500.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I have one of these www.rvibrake.com , there is no overrun cable , just 12v feed, inertia braking unit and remote test and monitor in motorhome.
Works well and simple to set up .
It cost just under £1000 direct from the U.S. Plus an unbraked a frame £500.
nice system . we used to use a connection from brake light switch to a relay ,that powered a solenoid ,that pulled a bowden cable ,that worked brake pedal. very easy and allowed reversing .
mind at 1500quid thats alot i only payed 1650 quid for my trailer and the old vw lt that pulled it 15 yrs ago . ha ha . now i dont need an aframe .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back