Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
..so we were on our way to catch the ferry at newhaven today and 20 miles from s’ton we lost our hab roof window!! As it took its leave it smashed the smaller plastic roof vent over the kitchen.My missus took it really badly but it was just as much my fault..we should both have checked it was wound right down. thank god it didn’t smash anyone’s windscreen behind..So we had to turn around and come home.Anyone know how pricey these are..been on to Travelworld(too busy) and Brownhills(wouldn’t answer). I really need to get this sorted,thanks people

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry to hear that. It’s easily done.

Can’t help with costing. You could try Johns Cross Motorhomes. They are Funsters. Not local to you, but reliable

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You need to have a look at what’s left and see what make and model it is then you can find a direct replacement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Too late if your home now but there's Johns cross nearish to newhaven or the old gaffer tape and plastic sheeting until you get to france

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Too late if your home now but there's Johns cross nearish to newhaven or the old gaffer tape and plastic sheeting until you get to france
Will probably be a lot cheaper in France I bought a rear light there for my last van 30% cheaper could be worth ring a few dealers.

Or for the UK try EECO, if there is enough left of the old one they will make a mould from it I think they normally take 2 weeks but if you grovel you may get one a lot quicker and they are a lot cheper than Hymer ones.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry to hear about your problem.

Many of us have driven off with a rooflight tilted. I know we have.

Last year, while in my car, I overtook a caravan whose Heki rooflight was wide open and tilted into the windstream.

I pulled alongside them and pointed to their caravan and then upwards. They looked at me, at first puzzled, then possibly decided it might be a con to get them to stop and pointedly ignored my gestures.

I’ve often wondered what happened to them.

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
So thanks for your suggestions..bit disappointed with Travelworld(wouldn’t call back) and Brownhills(service/parts wouldn’t answer!!)... but Cannock were brilliant(so far).got right on it,and with a bit of luck will get me back on the road...cheers

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We had storm debris smash our panoramic roof light (van was on our drive) which then flipped back and smashed the roof light behind than on our previous van (Chausson). The cost of replacing the 2 windows was a staggering sum, in excess of £2,000 at the dealer. The van was still under guarantee which is why it went back to the dealer. The insurance paid out and the replacement windows were a different design - much more sturdy both the plastic and the catches.

Easy done leaving a roof light open - even when you do a "pre-flight check list" but rely on visual inspection rather than checking the lock has actually been engaged.

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Yeh ..we do a “cast off” check,windows,steps,have we got both dogs?? etc etc,it was just that this time we forgot to put the handle in its niche and after a couple of hours it worked its way open just enough to catch the wind..anyway ..nobody got hurt,dont think we’ll overlook that again.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
So thanks for your suggestions..bit disappointed with Travelworld(wouldn’t call back) and Brownhills(service/parts wouldn’t answer!!)... but Cannock were brilliant(so far).got right on it,and with a bit of luck will get me back on the road...cheers
We've had only good experiences with Cannock Resprays(y).

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Happened to me in France. I just poked a closed brolly out of the hole, opened it and tied the handle down to a 5L water carrier. Worked a treat for two weeks but we didn't get any rain so could remove it when stopped. Caused some amusement too.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
The title of your thread is a little bit of an understatement. I think I might have described the day a little differently!
Good luck with repairs

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Happened to me in France. I just poked a closed brolly out of the hole, opened it and tied the handle down to a 5L water carrier. Worked a treat for two weeks but we didn't get any rain so could remove it when stopped. Caused some amusement too.
now THATS innovation ..brilliant

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Sorry to hear about your problems, it could so easily have happened to us at the start of this trip. We must have got about 70 miles before we realised what the occasional unexpected noise was! (n) We were so lucky.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have Ben using a bungee to hold down a roof light this past month as the catch is broken
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back