Free Member
Sep 15, 2018
Sunny isle of axholme
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu I500
Exp
Late 2018
Picking up a new A class Malibu on Friday and misses was looking to book us into a camp site for the weekend and a few she has looked at do not allow right hand opening habitation doors is this a problem with A classes?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That would affect two thirds of UK motorhomes. I've never heard of it. I have occasionally been asked to pitch so the hab door faces away from a neighbouring pitch but even that is a rare occurrence. I've used A class motorhomes for 10+ years with no door issues. I have never been asked when booking.

Edit - wife says it's 15 years :).

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
That’s discrimination...:eek:

Absolutely ridiculous.....

How do they know what side the door is...?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We’re parked on the CC&C site at Beadnell right now. When we arrived the warden said to park which ever way I liked. The hab door is on the right hand side. We have never had a problem at any site we have been to. We have never been asked which side the hab door is on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shaun929

Shaun929

Free Member
Sep 15, 2018
Sunny isle of axholme
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu I500
Exp
Late 2018
What it says is quote’ Motorhomes/ caravans built with the door on the right hand side are not permitted’
The ones she has looked at are on pitchup.com

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
On some camp sites the pitch is kind of divided into a hard standing/gravel area and a grass area. The idea is you drive on one side, and put your awning up over the grass area. The drive-on side is sometimes designated with a white peg. Obviously you drive the MH on forwards/reversed so that the hab door opens onto the grass/awning area.

It's basically arranged so that there's a good distance between units in case of fire, and to give everyone the maximum amount of space. Some wardens are a bit abrupt if they think you know the system and are just trying it on.

Some motorhomers just give up and never go near sites like that.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Say what area your looking, someone might be able to point you in the right direction. (y).
Our last three motorhomes have had continental doors, the only time we have ever had a problem was ;) when they are full. :LOL: Bob.

Upvote 0

Justamil

Free Member
Aug 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low line Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
What it says is quote’ Motorhomes/ caravans built with the door on the right hand side are not permitted’
The ones she has looked at are on pitchup.com

The OP is correct. Just looked at pitchup.com and for the first site I picked, “Pencnwc Holiday Park” in Wales does indeed not permit continental caravans with doors on the right hand side. I agree with everyone, never seen before and I certainly won’t be using that holiday park. It is not a ‘wind up’.

Upvote 0

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Caravans I can understand to a degree, but a motorhome can driven in forwards or reversed.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The OP is correct. Just looked at pitchup.com and for the first site I picked, “Pencnwc Holiday Park” in Wales does indeed not permit continental caravans with doors on the right hand side. I agree with everyone, never seen before and I certainly won’t be using that holiday park. It is not a ‘wind up’.
I guess it is so they can turn away a certain group of caravaners with Hobby and Fendt caravans, if I really wanted to go I would just ask for confirmation.

Martin

Upvote 0

Justamil

Free Member
Aug 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low line Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Just had a thought. It does say continental caravans. I have been to another side where all caravans had to park with A frames facing the road in case of emergency and needed pulling out quickly. Perhaps the rule excludes Motorhomes but the site doesn’t make that clear?

Upvote 0

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
It says caravans, normally this is because of fire regs as it wouldn’t be able to be hitched up quickly to move in an emergency if parked the other way round.

It doesn’t normally apply to motorhomes that can be reversed out just as quick as driving out forwards.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Mate, I reckon you Mrs is just making sure you only get to go where she wants to and that any of your suggestions won't allow hab doors on the other way :D:D

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I guess it is so they can turn away a certain group of caravaners with Hobby and Fendt caravans, if I really wanted to go I would just ask for confirmation.

Martin

I think you are right having met Dave @BreweryDave :LOL:
An old friend used to come down to Spain in winter with a twin axle swift towing with a Renault van, and was turned away from sites in france ;) they said the twin axles did too much damage, ;) I wonder if they do as much damage behind a 4 x 4 or car. :LOL: Bob.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What a load of cobblers!

We have a German LHD A class and have never heard of this.

Richard.
I will be honest and say that we don't use many sites but in Scotland last year we stopped at the office and the lady said "we are not very busy so just pick a spot" later on she walked down the site and said "can you park on the right hand side so your awning can go next to you" if I park on the right of the pitch we will be getting out onto somebody else pitch I said "yes that's OK we are not busy and that space is empty" the next English caravan that came in she put next to us so we could share their awning(y) the rest of the site was still pretty empty.

Martin

Upvote 0

M J

Oct 4, 2016
Wiltshire UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2014
img_7037.jpg

From there own web site - Just park the other way round. But I would ask before booking to be polite.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hang on a minute ... let me have a look at my calendar ... :D2

Okay ... its over a week since April Fool's day so this must be 'real'! :D

I can totally understand it for a caravan so that the towing frame is facing the road, but as already mentioned I doubt it also means motorhomes too.

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
We’ve had it with c and c club sites with caravan, but only once. A pain, because we go with friends and want to face each other and share the space between (they have an awning and we don’t, so we can share space appropriate to weather!) Our new Carthago with have a right hand door do I’ll watch out for that (I’ve never been asked with the MH, though)

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Only one hab door, on the right though. Just realised I’ll have to pull into the drive forwards, too. That might be more of a faff than I’d like.

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Load of Botox. We never have a problem. We usually drive into the pitch so it makes the pitch more private for both campers. :)

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Only once and it was to do with not wanting the hab door facing the other motor home door so we offered and was accepted to reverse it in. Otherwise no and have used loads of sites:D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back