Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
most manufacturers offer a supplementary heater option for A class vans like a webasto,
Presumably the fiat heating struggles with the massive cab and windscreen size compared to a cab based conversion.
Do you need one or just turn on the normal truma or alde heating if needed in winter?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The normal Truma hot air heating was more than adequate for us.. A Class Hymer B644

You can also run the Truma while travelling .. .. so never cold , even in winter .

I would also advise external Silver Screens for winter camping. They prevent condensation from forming and insulate from the cold.

OP
OP
Happy1

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Thanks confirms what I thought, first a class so a bit unsure, ordered double glazing for side cab windows and the van has a truma pipe in the dash to heat,
Did you get screens from hymer? Rapido want £650!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks confirms what I thought, first a class so a bit unsure, ordered double glazing for side cab windows and the van has a truma pipe in the dash to heat,
Did you get screens from hymer? Rapido want £650!!
You may want to wait and see how it is in use. We have Alde heating and we have two radiators at the front of the dash to keep the windscreen warm, so similar to your warm air outlet I guess. So far, even in the winter, we have had very little condensation, and nothing that the Karcher window vac could not clear in 30 seconds.

We also got an external screen with our Hymer, it was part of the Arktis winter package that also included a thermal blanket for below the dash, double glazed side windows and the Alde. I think you can buy them from Hymer for about 399 Euros. They require the attachment of an L shaped aluminium channel on each side that holds them in place. Is a well made good bit of kit but we have only used it a couple of times in the 3 years we have had the Hymer. Using the Karcher is much quicker than taking it all out of its bag and putting it on and then taking it off and folding it back into the bag!

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Silverscreens for our Burstner were £299. There is a heater installed in the back that runs off the engine, so its warm when you arrive. I don’t think that was original equipment though. To be honest, we didn’t have a rear heater in our previous van (Hymer) and didn’t really need it.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I posted this on Mirning Funsters in June
I today I left home at 0600 to drive to Sheffield ( Minster Products) I’m having a Polar Screen fitted. We bought it from them just after the Peterborough show, having considered Taylor Made, Silver Screen and Polar. Reviews on the forum and responses to a thread about them convinced us that they were the best choice. They made one from Template they had for our model of Rapido A class. Unfortunately the driver side window part was a slightly different shape to our van. It had a curved corner whereas ours is square. Graham at Minster offered to arrange for its collection and to send me a new template kit and then make me another one. But Sheffield is only 3 hours away so I’m there now, they have measured up and are making it now whilst I am sitting outside vacuuming the floor, cleaning the bathroom, dusting and polishing the dashboard area. All this wimmins’ Work doesn’t take long in a Motorhome, does it? The things we like about Polar are : it fits by passing a part through the drivers side sliding window and suckers on the inside, and through the cab door on the passenger side, so no awning rails (like Taylor Made does) or rivets to fit on the outside. Also adjustable in length so it can go on top or under the windscreen wipers. The Polar is mid price between the other 2. All are about £300 +/-including Privacy Screen (net) and delivery.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Happy1 I’ve just had quotes for paragon silver screen with privacy screen for our Hymer B678DL at £399 and from Taylor made same £299(y)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I have a front screen in garage for a Burstner Elegance. I bought it about about 6 years ago and must have been in the garage for about 4 years. It's in perfect condition if anyone wants to make an offer. I think I paid £399 For it. It's a German manufacturer. Burstner must have both passenger and drivers door for it to fit

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
no need for rails or studs to be fitted.
Can you tell me does it fit over the corner of the door with a strap and a flap that goes through the passengers window with sucker pads? The reason I ask is I’ve previously had the Paragon silver screens and on our old Exsis had trouble with water getting in over the corner door strap.(y)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Can you tell me does it fit over the corner of the door with a strap and a flap that goes through the passengers window with sucker pads? The reason I ask is I’ve previously had the Paragon silver screens and on our old Exsis had trouble with water getting in over the corner door strap.(y)
Yes it has a very thin flap but absolutely no water ingress

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it's cold and we have not been using the van I turn the Truma heating on for 20min before setting off then the cab heater can maintain temperature ok.
Biggest problem we find with the cab heating if it's cold and bright sunshine we get freezing feet. Because of the hot sun coming through the screen the sensors think it's hot and turn the heating down & you have to set it to 30° to get your feet warm, 10 min later you are roasting.

Last Hymer I bought genuine Hymer silver screens only £250 from our Belgium dealer, a lot cheaper than any of the aftermarket ones & the dealer fitted the rail for them.
We hardly ever used them as the Hymers have heating outlets between the blind & screen. Didn't bother on the new van as we also have the insulated aluminium front blind. Did buy a window vac for clearing up the condensation but hardly ever needed to use it.
Probably a different matter if you do sking.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have found my Fiat heating to be pathetic in Winter. Cannot think why, the Merc was fine. We use the Truma to keep warm during Winter travels.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We have a separate front heater on our A class, as well as Alde there is a Truma traumatic E2400 for the front, gives some lovely heat out until the Alde warms up.
The vents are also between the front blind and the windscreen which are handy, it was an expensive option when the van was built.

OP
OP
Happy1

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Thanks for all replies, rapido offer a webasto supplementary Heater but I need to tick the box on the order sheet if I want one at £1300 which seems better value than £650 for silver screen, going sking definitely, first van ages ago had a heater matrix in back running off engine coolant which may be better option.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for all replies, rapido offer a webasto supplementary Heater but I need to tick the box on the order sheet if I want one at £1300 which seems better value than £650 for silver screen, going sking definitely, first van ages ago had a heater matrix in back running off engine coolant which may be better option.

650 quid for a silver screen, now that is a total rip off, you can get a bespoke one from Minster for 265, made to measure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back