A campsite with no black waste disposal? (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We aren’t ones for really using campsites but is it legal to open a campsite without providing waste facilities?

Sounds to me like it’s someone who just owns a field looking for some quick money.

As you read the thread the field owner has said they will now look into waste disposal. The site may suit some of you.

94C66E1A-D7DA-4713-A2B3-6D419AB3F6F3.png

689C0D3F-65BD-4D71-AA05-E9EB0395E879.png

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It used to be quite common. Ive used farmers fields when they only had a tap. No rubbish or elsan points, you took it all home with you.

Every time I'm emptying our campsite bins, where we ask for bagged waste only and find someone has emptied the remains of a takeaway curry directly into the bin, or maybe left me a bit of an exhaust pipe, or an old flat knackered 110AH battery.

Then those who ignore the signs and dump their wet wipes into the cesspit, that clog the sewer pump, which i have to dismantle and cut the wipes from the impeller. At times like those, a no services site sounds attractive :D

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
It used to be quite common. Ive used farmers fields when they only had a tap. No rubbish or elsan points, you took it all home with you.

Every time I'm emptying our campsite bins, where we ask for bagged waste only and find someone has emptied the remains of a takeaway curry directly into the bin, or maybe left me a bit of an exhaust pipe, or a an old flat knackered 110AH battery.

Then those who ignore the signs and dump their wet wipes into the cesspit, that clog the sewer pump, which i have to dismantle and cut the wipes from the impeller. At times like that a no services site sounds attractive :D

Must be bloody frustrating as I know that would drive me round the bend.

What is it with some people.
Makes you wonder how they’ve got so far in life 😳

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Jim at least you can get a tenner for the battery :giggler: How are tents with families supposed to manage? I guess not all campers will have ports potties.

Do you need insurance to operate a field as a campsite? I might go rent some farmland from a friend 😂

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not camp-ground, I appreciate. But it was a "normal" activity in our early years of rallying. For the Marshall and a couple of Volunteers to dig an "elsan" pit Friday, and be back filling it late Sunday before leaving. You thought yourself lucky if the field owner, often a Farmer, brought his tractor / backhoe and dug it for you!. As Scouts in the 50`s we always dug our own latrines. The concept of the Portaloo "Tardis" was "light years" away. :)rofl::rofl: see what I did there). Campers, would bring a separate "toilet" Tent, (I still have ours, and the "Bucket" style "elsan") Buried under a ton of Car Parts in the shed, I think.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How are tents with families supposed to manage?

Family holiday tent units couldn't really use no service sites these days

Because we don't have a toilet or shower set up, we lose out on literally hundreds of caravanners every season. Most caravanners don't like to use their onboard facilities for some reason.

We could easily fit a small toilet and shower suite in a barn that backs right onto the cesspit. But.. I'm not a fan of caravaners who seem to be in a competition to see who can cross the grass in their 4by4 and leave and enter the site the most times in a day

But the real reason I won't fit the facilities is I don't want to be a toilet cleaner. :D

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
This is interesting. So can anyone just operate a field and call it a campsite , is insurance or a licence needed?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is interesting. So can anyone just operate a field and call it a campsite , is insurance or a licence needed?

No not a campsite. They need to be licensed by the local authority. They will specify the number of toilets per no of pitches etc. The site you refer to is probably a CL Yes they need insurance but that is all.

But it depends on the exemption provider, the likes of the caravan club or us. The caravan club are pretty strict about what the CL owner must provide. But if someone came to me with a CL in an area of outstanding beauty and wanted to have a CL with no facilities at all I would consider it. Clearly people would only stay 1 or two nights, and for motorhomes that is easy. Me and Siân in our van could go 10 days easily with no facilities at all. But then we have big tanks, and a 60l loo

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
But the real reason I won't fit the facilities is I don't want to be a toilet cleaner.
I totally Agree. One CCC site I used in the past, has a Toilet Brush Hung in the Office, with a Notice saying to the effect. USE ME. The state some ??????? leave the Loo after use is a reflection on their Filthy Habits. Bet they don`t do it at home!!. or???????.

Hey I just realised, We`ve got a TOILET Thread.:party::rofl:

Edit:- The "Black" capacity alone, on the R-V was listed as 60(US) gallons. along with a similar "grey" capability. More that once I have taken it home, after a weekend rally with 4 grand-kids aboard "full", and dumped. And some have even more "volume".

Last edited:
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
According to UK Campsites it is a CCC CL and it’s listed as having a chemical dump

Perhaps the owner isn’t sure what an Elsan point is? Elsa is only a brand name after all

As the thread goes on (fb one) it’s clear they have no facilities except a fresh water tap. So technically speaking from what I’ve read on this thread it shouldn’t be advertised as a “campsite” then.

For a moment I started seeing £££signs flashing before me, was just about to phone a friend and rent a field😂

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Me and Siân in our van could go 10 days easily with no facilities at all. But then we have big tanks, and a 60l loo
From one of the windows in my bedroom, I can look across to the campsite.

You own Jasmin Camping, and a jolly fine campsite it is at that https://jasmincamping.com/

Every morning, men (mainly) walk across to the dump area with a plastic pot of poo, like a modern chamber pot!

They then empty this ‘turd tube’ meticulously wash it out, then insert it back into a little hole in the side of their campers?

Do your lot do the same thing?

#wonderwhy?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
The thread heading will have to change, may upset the snowflakes as it has “Black waste” in it, surely whites have waste as well. :LOL:

God help us should we mention black sheep of the family or blackboards or black shoe polish or black cars or blackout curtains etc etc . . .

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We have stayed on a couple of sites in the Hebrides that do not have black waste disposal. One is a CS and the other a community owned camp site with toilet/shower block. There is a disposal point a few miles from the CS. There is also a campsite next to the CS which also does not have disposal facilities.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
£15 a night for a pitch on a field with a bin? You have to be joking! I pay £10 a night on many C&CC sites with full facilities.

This doesn't appear to be affiliated to any club - the CS mentioned in a previous post is probably the one in Cheshire with a similar name.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
As a kiddy, that was always one of my favorite grounded jobs. Cleaning the chemical waste dump - cheers eddievanbitz
That and moving the rotten fermented apples when the wasps were drunk and raking all the gravel at Cornish Farm manually even though you had a tractor that could it in half an hour.

There were nicer North Korean labour camps!!!

On the plus side, it made me think twice about getting "Grounded"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back