A Campsite Well Worth Avoiding (1 Viewer)

P

Patrick49

Deleted User
Parkland, near Kingsbridge in Devon - I was there last weekend. On arrival I was handed a list of "do's and don'ts" and believe it or not one of the rules is that there is no waste disposal facility at all on site - you are told to drive to the Recycling Centre in Kingsbridge to dispose of your waste or alternatively you can always save it up and take it away with you when you leave!! You do have a choice however, you can buy waste sacks from the campsite at £1 a time and they will dispose of them for you. Only theirs mind you, no others!!

What a bunch of hypocrites and skinflints!! This has nothing at all to do with "recycling" and everything to do with the site owners not having to pay charges for waste removal. This is a service that every other campsite I've ever been to or heard of supplies as a matter of basic decency.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
I would think in 12 months they won't have a business, never mind waste to worry about.:Sad:
Certainly won't go there.

David

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Our campsite HAS to provide Waste Bins thought all campsites have to and they are checked at our yearly inspection. Seems really strange to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Patrick49

Deleted User
I suppose that by offering to sell you their sacks at £1 a time they are "providing" a waste disposal service and thus meeting any legal obligation.

It'd be interesting to know if it is indeed a legal obligation!!

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Our campsite HAS to provide Waste Bins thought all campsites have to and they are checked at our yearly inspection. Seems really strange to me.

We too have to provide waste bins on our CS site and as above this is inspected we have just had our inspection!

Perhaps I can remove my bins now:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Although to be fair I have bins for Glass, Cans, Paper and Cardboard and Bagged Rubbish but would you believe some inconsiderate campers have in the past put loose rubbish in this bin:Angry::Angry::Angry: How hard can it be to bag up your rubbish I'm not asking for black bags ordinary shopping bags are fine!!!

Regards Pat

Last edited:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Patrick
Sounds more like a Stalag than a campsitewhat did it say on the entrance " Arbiet mach frei " :roflmto::roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We too have to provide waste bins on our CS site and as above this is inspected we have just had our inspection!

Perhaps I can remove my bins now:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Although to be fair I have bins for Glass, Cans, Paper and Cardboard and Bagged Rubbish but would you believe some inconsiderate campers have in the past put loose rubbish in this bin:Angry::Angry::Angry: How hard can it be to bag up your rubbish I'm not asking for black bags ordinary shopping bags are fine!!!

Regards Pat

thier van waste bin must stink:Eeek::Eeek:...or they waste time ,effort and water washing it out every time its emptied.

Mmmm.......maybe they recycle/re-use their carrier bags:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could always bag it up and leave it outside reception as you leave....you probably wont be going back anyway and they may just get the message:winky::thumb:

OP
OP
P

Patrick49

Deleted User
Tariff is here :

Link Removed

By the way, they don't take cards - cash or cheque only.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
You have a CS Pat?

Maybe we could have a meet there?

Hi John yes we have a CS site have done for about 19 months will be in the next C&CC book.

I had a rally here for the ARV club last September(14 units) the week after Shepton but not this year as not sure how Sue would be and what treatment she would be on (ie chemo or radiotherapy). Glad really didn't arrange one this September as the field is absolutely sodden:Sad::Sad:

Can accomodate the biggest of RV's but only one hook up (Working on providing more though) on the concrete hardstanding.

Hereford Bull was there at the rally with his new Monaco

100_0970.jpg

Concrete hardstanding
100_0873.jpg

100_0864.jpg

So maybe next year if the weather is ok

Regards Pat

C

Caravanning

Deleted User
Been to Devon tons of times and have never seen this site, perhaps good reason not to it seems.

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Campsite worth avoiding

Parkland, near Kingsbridge in Devon - I was there last weekend. On arrival I was handed a list of "do's and don'ts" and believe it or not one of the rules is that there is no waste disposal facility at all on site - you are told to drive to the Recycling Centre in Kingsbridge to dispose of your waste or alternatively you can always save it up and take it away with you when you leave!! You do have a choice however, you can buy waste sacks from the campsite at £1 a time and they will dispose of them for you. Only theirs mind you, no others!!

What a bunch of hypocrites and skinflints!! This has nothing at all to do with "recycling" and everything to do with the site owners not having to pay charges for waste removal. This is a service that every other campsite I've ever been to or heard of supplies as a matter of basic decency.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at Parkland. At least we all know now to avoid this place. Must put it on our blacklist of bad sites

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'm sorry but I don't see the problem, it looks a lovely site with a lot of facilities and really not that expensive at £16 a night. They don't charge extra for a toad either!
On their website they say - We also have a very strong view on refuse disposal; the site operates a voluntary recycling option at the present time. We are hoping this year that the local councils will be more helpful to us in providing a trade recycling facility limiting the amount of refuse that our visitors leave for landfill. which makes me think this is a council enforced issue. Sounds very much as though they have a limit on the amount of rubbish that can be collected. Sounds just like a council diktat to me:Smile:
When we're away we probably fill a rubbish sack every couple of days. I'd rather pay a quid a day than have it added onto the site fees.

Regards
Doug

hereford bull

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
HEREFORD
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YRS
hey pat you will have to touch up that photo my hairs gone greyer this year dont know whether its the price of fuel or the drive down that lane to herston.i was going to say to you on your inverter problem to push the pencil fuse in on the side of the inverter but sounds like it was a bit more technical .catch up with you again somewhere
cheers ron

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
hey pat you will have to touch up that photo my hairs gone greyer this year dont know whether its the price of fuel or the drive down that lane to herston

Hi Ron love to meet up again,went to book in to Herston for last weekend however they have upped the price to £30 a night from £25 last year for a motorhome and 2 adults!

I had to put out the rubbish yesterday and and yes another camper had put some loose waste into the "Bagged Rubbish only Bin" and another had put in a bag with several sharp kebab sticks poking out:Angry::Angry::Angry:, also looked in the bottle wheely bin and someone must have literally thrown in their bottles smashing some in the process more needless bloody work:Angry::Angry::Angry:

I must admit I am begining to have sympathies for the original campsite mentioned it is these inconsiderate campers that are spoiling it for the rest of us, I am seriously wondering if it is worth the hassel for £7 a night or £5 for a tent!:Sad::Sad:, and this is happening with only say 1 or 2 campers for a few nights a week what will it be like if we get busy and have 5 every night???

I can see things from the site owners view, it really is frustrating what campers do such as book in then not turn up!! The waste thing as above! Another time a camper in a tent who couldn't be arsed to walk to the rubbish bin say a maximum of 100 yards away left the bag out side the tent for the night, where on a fox or possibly birds ripped open the bag and scattered it all around, they left leaving muggins here to clean up after them (I had gone to work). Tuesday night had a phone call at 10.45pm 'could we take 2 people and a tent that night' as they were just coming off the ferry in Portsmouth!

Think I'm turning into Basil Fawlty:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: There you are rant over:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards Pat

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Roughing it Smoothly Basil ............

Don't let us get onto bad habits or we will hijack the thread ... but just one little niggle from me .....

How many campers (that includes RV'ers to tenters) have you seen that buy a breathable groundsheet then put it down on top of a heavy duty tarpaulin sheet - so that the breathable groundsheet doesn't get dirty? :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We went to a C&CC Campsite near Ellesmere in Stafford a couple of months ago.

Thay had no waste disposal or washing/toilet facilities even though they had advertised them.

It was a field in the middle of nowhere, other than for the hook up we might as well have been wild.

I forgot the name of the place as soon as we exited the front gate.

Jim :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back