90 Days in non schengen country (1 Viewer)

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
All,
Having asked for advice on Morocco in an earlier post, Croatia has caught my eye.
It looks a beautiful country with excellent campsites.
Looking at Croatia for 3 months this year September October and November followed by 3 months in Spain and Portugal.
Your opinions are gratefully received.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It will work at the moment as they are not Schengen members yet but they have applied. We have been in September, October still in the 20's in October.

Reactions: PMB
OP
OP
PMB

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
It looks fantastic

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Keep in mind the time travelling through Schengen countries to get to Croatia will come off your 90 day allowance and then allow enough time at the end to leave the Schengen zone. Otherwise I think you could have a good trip.

We've only seen a small part of Croatia so can't comment or recommend places to go.

OP
OP
PMB

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Keep in mind the time travelling through Schengen countries to get to Croatia will come off your 90 day allowance and then allow enough time at the end to leave the Schengen zone. Otherwise I think you could have a good trip.

We've only seen a small part of Croatia so can't comment or recommend places to go.
Understood, we plan to take 2 days to get from Calais to Croatia. Spend 3 months there. That gives us 88 days to get to Spain have a long stay there then set off for Calais.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Croatia is fabulous, a beautiful country, however its not very big, but quite varied i have been numerous times, plitvice lakes are stunning, as is dubrovnik, and many other places, enjoy:giggle:

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
You can do it in two days, but they will be full driving days

Reactions: PMB

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Do you mind if I butt in here a little bit

Croatia is also on our wish list but never been, so going from Calais, can anyone give me a route please and do i need anything regarding tolls or visa’s for different countries.

We like the sea and prefer sites and or aires rather than wilding so any sites in Croatia you could recommend please

thanks and enjoy your trip

Al đź‘Ť

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Croatia is also on our wish list but never been, so going from Calais, can anyone give me a route please and do i need anything regarding tolls or visa’s for different countries.

We like the sea and prefer sites and or aires rather than wilding so any sites in Croatia you could recommend please

Al đź‘Ť
Have a look at my trip we started off at Caravan Salon Dusseldorf and worked our way down.
Link in my signature.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
This is the cheapskates route.
No tolls til Austria yet its all motorway for the speed.
I would adjust it to go over the Glossglockner and take an extra day as that would mean you can do Austria for the cost of 35 eurosish and have one hell of day but it would extend your travel by a day as you have to stop and admire the views.
Italy will have tolls but not in the same expense as France. Fill up Luxembourg and Austria. LPG and Adblue in Belgium.

Route only goes to Trieste for the kilometers

1615915673390.png

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
no tolls i don't think although you will need a vignette in austria, i haven't been in 10 years, so could have changed my route is roughly from calais, head toward dunkirk,bruges,ghent,brussels,liege,Aachen, bonn,frankfurt, wurzburg, nuremberg, munich, salzburg, villach, jesenice,bled,ljubljana,zagreb, you are now in croatia, i must say though my route is mainly motorway, and through some very beautiful parts of europe, most places on the adriatic coast are very nice, i particularly like the old city at dubrovnik, can't remember any of the campsite names, but all were satisfactory, some better than others, as with anywhere else.
i have been many routes to croatia, but this one i think is one of the most scenic, roads excellent, although i have woken in july with 6" of snow on the motorhome on the wurzenpass!, but don't let that put you off, it is steep but easily driven.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Done Croatia and former Yugoslavia many times. Many people visit the Istrian area and don't go further south. Big mistake, from my experiences the Makarska Riviera is the most beautiful stretch of coastline in Europe. Even in September it can be busy. Starts to quieten down around 19th September. I've done most of the islands but to be honest the islands are no different than the main coastal regions so i would question whether its worth the extra ferry costs. Plitvice lakes as others have mentioned is lovely. Travelling along the coastal route is very beautiful but you can travel much faster using the more inland motorway. Going south to Dubrovnik would take you through Bosnia Herzegovinia and that will cause insurance issues. Some pay the extra insurance, some just drive straight through and take a chance others like myself take the ferry around Bosnia.
Makarska is pretty , worth a visit but can be busy. My favourite was the little coastal town of Zaostrog. Here are the links to the sections of my blog that covered our most recent trip to Croatia. Be aware that Bavarian and Italian kids don't go back to school until around 12th September so the more northern , commercial sites will be busy at this time. All in all a trip you have to make.

Dec 18, 2019
Thurnscoe, Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle580PR
Exp
Since 2007
All,
Having asked for advice on Morocco in an earlier post, Croatia has caught my eye.
It looks a beautiful country with excellent campsites.
Looking at Croatia for 3 months this year September October and November followed by 3 months in Spain and Portugal.
Your opinions are gratefully received.
Mini just south of Dubrovnik is a great place to stay. Everything in easy reach. We did Bosnia from there, Mostar and Sarajevo. Montenegro is also within very easy striking distance. If you do Dubrovnik go by sea on the water taxi from Mlini very easy and little money, spectacular approach. We got our campsites from camper contact app. Stopped at a rough and ready site near to the beach and supermarket. All facilities available and picked our own fresh figs every day. Absolutely fabulous.

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I bought insurance at the border for Bosnia, wasn't a problem i have done that a few times, Bosnia was beautiful as well, just not quite so developed and more rural, there was evidence of the conflict there, with buildings shot to pieces, which was an eye opener but good nonetheless.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Sounds like you will really be hammering it to get there in 2 days, it's 1500km.

1500 is 932 miles and at a constant 60mph that’s about 16 hours driving (with no holdups etc) so taking regular breaks (safe driving) your looking at around 10-12 hours per day.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Understood, we plan to take 2 days to get from Calais to Croatia. Spend 3 months there. That gives us 88 days to get to Spain have a long stay there then set off for Calais.
If you are going to spend at least 90 days in Croatia the time taken getting there won't count against the time you have after you leave Croatia - you will have the full 90 days. So you can take your time on the way there. :)

The main thing is to ensure your departure from Schengen is recorded, which is going to be new territory for everyone including the border authorities. It should be simpler with ETIAS but until then it would do no harm to keep a few receipts covering your Croatia stay. If the only record is in your passport and it was stolen it could be awkward - although you could photograph any relevant entries as a belt and braces measure.

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Respectfully, i am sure that is not correct, if you spent 3 days getting there, then that would leave 87 days left for schengen countries, this only resets after you have spent 90 plus days in a non schengen country.
90 in, 90 out including travelling as i understand it, but as DBK rightly says keep proof of your stay in a non schengen country, not just your passport, you may need to call on it to evidence your stay, in and out.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
90 days outside Schengen resets the clock. You can then return for another 90.

90 + 90 = 180.

What happened before the first 90 no longer matters :)

OP
OP
PMB

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
90 days outside Schengen resets the clock. You can then return for another 90.

90 + 90 = 180.

What happened before the first 90 no longer matters :)
So, I dont have to rush through schengen countries to get to Croatia??
I thought 90 in 180 was the rule, not resetting every 90.

Dec 4, 2016
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Eldest firestorm 130
Exp

Al đź‘Ť
Lots of private houses which have mini fully equipped camp sites in their gardens overlooking Adriatic. Keep eyes open for little signs in front gardens.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
1500 is 932 miles and at a constant 60mph that’s about 16 hours driving (with no holdups etc) so taking regular breaks (safe driving) your looking at around 10-12 hours per day.
Sod that, 4-5 hours is more than enough. Prefer to do only 150 miles a day and enjoy the country I'm driving through.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So, I dont have to rush through schengen countries to get to Croatia??
I thought 90 in 180 was the rule, not resetting every 90.
I think what DBK means is that if you do say 10 days getting there then 90 in Croatia after you have done another 80 in Schengen for each extra day you are in one of the first 10 days is no longer in the 180 so doesn't count. I would say its probably better to have 91 days in Croatia to be sure but otherwise you can take as long as you like on the way there.

Reactions: DBK

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Have a look at my trip we started off at Caravan Salon Dusseldorf and worked our way down.
Link in my signature.
Just looked through all your Croatia thread Lenny and its inspired me to want to go even more, the problem I have is that my wife can walk forever and I can't, backache just cripples me after a while and needing another new hip replacement soon (this will be my 3rd), so its the folding elec bike for me. It really does bugger things up for us/me if i'm being totally honest

Your photo's showing the walks you did and the views make me very envious.

So with that in mind i'll need some guidance to any sites/aires/camperparks within walking distance of towns/villages/restaurants/bars

Great thread btw and some really lovely photo's (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We've been to Croatia 4 or 5 times on flotilla sailing holidays for anyone wanting a break from the motorhome it could be a pleasant break for a week. The ones we used start in Murter and sail around the Kornati islands.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just looked through all your Croatia thread Lenny and its inspired me to want to go even more, the problem I have is that my wife can walk forever and I can't, backache just cripples me after a while and needing another new hip replacement soon (this will be my 3rd), so its the folding elec bike for me. It really does bugger things up for us/me if i'm being totally honest

Your photo's showing the walks you did and the views make me very envious.

So with that in mind i'll need some guidance to any sites/aires/camperparks within walking distance of towns/villages/restaurants/bars

Great thread btw and some really lovely photo's (y)
Loads of small stopovers on the coast road normally called Autokamper, about €10 a night, reasonable bus service on the main road.

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
We spent two months in Croatia three years ago.
September to October.
It rained almost every day in September and a lot of October.
We may have been unlucky.
It is a beautiful country.wild camping is difficult and the campsites were full. The Germans seem to like Croatia too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back