LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A little nervous of drilling a hole in the roof in our 1 year old Hymer, but I’ll read @DBK ‘s fitting guide first!
My Hymer was only a year old when I fitted mine, don't be a wimp only needs a 20 mm dia hole. :) See here.

The Puck comes with a 2 metre cable and I’ve managed to work with that length. Adapter connectors are required to link to the HUAWEI mifi. My van is only 5.4 metres but I could have moved the mifi to try it out.
With 2m of cable you will loose over ½ of your signal gain from the aerial. RG174 looses are approx 1.68 db/metre at 1900 Mhz (freq used for 4G LTE).

OP
OP
J
Sep 23, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
My Hymer was only a year old when I fitted mine, don't be a wimp only needs a 20 mm dia hole. :) See here.

With 2m of cable you will loose over ½ of your signal gain from the aerial. RG174 looses are approx 1.68 db/metre at 1900 Mhz (freq used for 4G LTE).

Thanks @Lenny HB you have put my mind at rest, I’ve got ground clearance to drill a hole and I’ve ordered the Ponyting MiMo, should be here tomorrow.

My van is the exsis 678, looking at your profile think you have DL678 so similar layout? I’m thinking of mounting the mifi in the tall wardrobe between the bathroom and the rear bed, currently I have a useless aerial booster in there so have a power supply for the mifi (with usb adapter of course). Aerial directly above so keeping the cables short. Does that sound an ok place to you?

Also did you drill the hole from underneath or the top?

Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks @Lenny HB you have put my mind at rest, I’ve got ground clearance to drill a hole and I’ve ordered the Ponyting MiMo, should be here tomorrow.

My van is the exsis 678, looking at your profile think you have DL678 so similar layout? I’m thinking of mounting the mifi in the tall wardrobe between the bathroom and the rear bed, currently I have a useless aerial booster in there so have a power supply for the mifi (with usb adapter of course). Aerial directly above so keeping the cables short. Does that sound an ok place to you?

Also did you drill the hole from underneath or the top?

Thanks
Yep mine is a B678DL, my last van was a Exsis i678.
I drilled from the top as I mounted it above the oven, not enough room to get a drill in and pilot from underneath which would have been preferable.
You want to try and mount it in a clear area on the roof away from obstructions, difficult on a Motorome roof.
The MIMO-1 doesn't need a seperate ground plane.

Wondering why you had an aerial booster in the wardrobe I've always found the standard fit Hymer aerial & booster work well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Sep 23, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Great, have a clear space above the wardrobe nearest obstruction is bathroom roof vent about a foot away of where I want to mount it.

I have 2 avtex TVs one in the usual place by the hab door other in the back for watching in bed. Standard hymer whip aerial connected to the booster which is also a splitter that the dealer fitted in the wardrobe. Tv reception is really poor, hardly picks up any channels, thought it may be the type of aerial that hymer fit? Hence moving to the mifi and a firestick.

Didn’t think mine has a standard hymer booster though? Where is it fitted?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Didn’t think mine has a standard hymer booster though? Where is it fitted?
The standard Hymer aerial is very good, it does TV, FM & DAB. Don't know where they fit the booster they hide them well, for it to work you have to turn on 5v Antenna power on the TV. And for the radio booster to work you have to connect the supply behind the radio, normally connect it the the power aerial feed on the radio.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm conflicted about whether to do this upgrade, as it would cost quite a lot & I'm not convinced of the benefit... and it's one of those things you have to spend the cash without any guarantees.

My phone is on Three & I have a separate Three MiFi
Three reception is poor at home... currently 2 bars 'H' occasionally similar strength but H+ or even 4g

Fast.com reports
8Mbps on mobile
28Mbps via the MiFi upstairs
58Mbps via broadband wifi

So how much of a real life improvement would I get from upgrading the kit - I'd have to buy another MiFi as the current one has no aerial connections... and I wouldn't care for a permanent fitting... so possible the aforementioned Puck2
So £100+

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm conflicted about whether to do this upgrade, as it would cost quite a lot & I'm not convinced of the benefit... and it's one of those things you have to spend the cash without any guarantees.

Three reception is poor at home... currently 2 bars 'H' occasionally similar strength but H+ or even 4g

Fast.com reports
8Mbps on mobile

So how much of a real life improvement would I get from upgrading the kit - I'd have to buy another MiFi as the current one has no aerial connections... and I wouldn't care for a permanent fitting... so possible the aforementioned Puck2
So £100+
The main benefit for me of an external antenna is because I like to have Internet access all the time it gives me the best possible chance of getting it. A bonus, and I would put it as no more than that, is it gives a faster connection, especially for uploads. But I lived with slower connections before I fitted the antenna and I remember waiting hours a few times to download at TV program and I wasn't frustrated by the slowness. However, it was frustrating when I couldn't get a usable signal and since fitting the antenna that is now a very rare occurance.

If you haven't found yourself cut off or aren't fussed being disconnected if you are in a spot where reception is poor then the cost isn't probably justified.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Fast.com reports
8Mbps on mobile

So £100+
Better to go for the MIMO-1 to make sure you get max benefit, with a new Mifi & connecting leads will cost about £220.
If you regularly camp in wild out of the ways places or can't live without internet for a day or two, well worth doing. If not probably not cost effective for you.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The New Forrest is renown for not having good reception for TV and Phone. :( With Roof 4G antennae - MotorhomeWiFi one, we get a strong 3 - 4 bars on the MiFi (y) and no signal on our phones or TV signal. (n) We can happily watch TV and surf on "Fun" via Fire TV Stick. :D2 As Lenny says above, if you are Urban or Campsites with WiFi and or good 4G signal, not worth the money.;)

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Hi. I thought I would do a little more testing.
I’m currently in the New Forest near Brockenhurst. The I phone 6 with Vodaphone sim averages about 9 Mbps download and 0.5 Mbps upload. Using the HUAWEI mifi with Three without the aerial I get get an average of 40 Mbps upload and 22 Mbps download. The same using a Puck external aerial I get an average of 38 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload. All the test were done with Speedtest and using the same server.
Confusing ain’t it!! Not yet convinced to drill a hole in the roof! Need to try other locations!
Thanks @Lenny HB for the advice on lead length. The Puck comes with the 2 metre leads sealed into the unit but following your advice I would definitely shorten if I did a permanent fix.

OP
OP
J
Sep 23, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
If you used the aerial lead fitted by Hymer to feed the booster it will never work as that lead comes from the booster Hymer fit and it needs 5v power to work.

That could be the problem! Dealer fitted the booster which is also a splitter for the 2 TVs. I’ll try the lead directly to one tv see if that makes a difference. No issues with radio or DAB both work fine with factory fitted head unit.

Cheeses

Free Member
May 2, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
Ages. Since April 2018
Hi. I thought I would do a little more testing.
I’m currently in the New Forest near Brockenhurst. The I phone 6 with Vodaphone sim averages about 9 Mbps download and 0.5 Mbps upload. Using the HUAWEI mifi with Three without the aerial I get get an average of 40 Mbps upload and 22 Mbps download. The same using a Puck external aerial I get an average of 38 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload. All the test were done with Speedtest and using the same server.
Confusing ain’t it!! Not yet convinced to drill a hole in the roof! Need to try other locations!
Thanks @Lenny HB for the advice on lead length. The Puck comes with the 2 metre leads sealed into the unit but following your advice I would definitely shorten if I did a permanent fix.

I have the same pointing puck 2, just arrived today. Might be better than the phone, but so far very little difference over MiFi unit alone.

Marginally better than MiFi with average signal, about the same with strong signal best was (57 down / 21 up). On Vodafone.....might try EE later.....

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Correction to my earlier post; without the aerial the figures were 40mbps download and 22 Mbps upload. I’m still confused !!!

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
@Lenny HB
Thoughts on this spec aerial?

2G3G4G Cone Body Mount . Ideal for vehicles .

Frequency 3G / 4G
Polarity Vertical
Gain 3 dbi
VSWR 1.5 : 1
Dimensions Height: 90 mm Width: N/A Length: N/ADiameter: 50
Cable 5.00 metres of RG58CU
Connector To Be Specified
Power 25 WATTS
Impedance 50 Ohms

upload_2019-5-30_10-45-58.jpg

Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Better to get a cross arrangement to pick up signals irrespective of their polarity.

They don't specify whether it's omnidirectional.

I assume it's cheap?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Low gain only 3db they normally measure the gain at the aerial and with 5m of RG58 cable I can't see it doing much. Also I think to be effective the cone type need a fairly large ground plane.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Low gain only 3db they normally measure the gain at the aerial and with 5m of RG58 cable I can't see it doing much. Also I think to be effective the cone type need a fairly large ground plane.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I have the same pointing puck 2, just arrived today. Might be better than the phone, but so far very little difference over MiFi unit alone.

Marginally better than MiFi with average signal, about the same with strong signal best was (57 down / 21 up). On Vodafone.....might try EE later.....

As others, including @DBK, have said, the main benefit of a roof-mounted aerial becomes apparent when in poor-signal areas.

The mifi devices are very good at pulling in a signal (better than most phones) when in a good-signal area (as long as they are placed in a sensible location), so an external aerial in those circumstances is unnecessary.

An external aerial often helps if you are off the beaten track. I have found it very helpful in places like parts of the Lake District and Norfolk, where it allowed us to maintain an internet connection even where voice calls on mobiles were sometimes impossible -- and also in some more remote parts of inland Spain.

If most of your time in the van is spent in the vicinity of conurbations, you will likely see little benefit.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
We have the motorhomewifi version and very very happy with it. (y) Yes, it costs a fair bit more, but it is the after sales support that Adam and Sophie gives that is excellent.:) I fitted ours in lieu of the Status Aerial and was very simple. Remove Status pole and slot in 4G Antennae in the same hole. Connect the charger to the same power source lead as the Status Amp and connect the 2 antennae leads, then the attached fly leads to the MiFi unit. Job Done, no mess, no drilling. ;) The New Forest is renowned for none to poor phone reception and in all the times we have used it, the 4G signal is strong. Used with the Vodafone 100Gb deal and those wet and windy UK weekends are transformed with Fire TV.:D2
Hi Zigisla can i ask what antenna you purchased and fitted in the status ariel hole? Looking to go this way as well.
Thanks
Kenny

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi Zigisla can i ask what antenna you purchased and fitted in the status ariel hole? Looking to go this way as well.
Thanks
Kenny
If it was the MotorhomeWiFi one it would be the round one which looks like a gas cooker knob. :) You can see them on this page (packs 2 and 3). It's a bit cheaper buying the bits yourself but the company give excellent support so if you're not too techy they are a good choice.

https://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Thanks DKB idealy looking for one to replace my tv antenna and use the hole to feed my wifi antenna into the van. Just had a good look and found them a bit pricey compared to the solwise ones will need to have a more indepth look at them and decide.

Cheers
Kenny.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks DKB idealy looking for one to replace my tv antenna and use the hole to feed my wifi antenna into the van. Just had a good look and found them a bit pricey compared to the solwise ones will need to have a more indepth look at them and decide.

Cheers
Kenny.
They probably all have a similar size fixing bolt. My Poynting MIMO-1 has an 18mm diameter fitting. You can just glue it down with Sikaflex if the bolt isn't long enough.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Thanks
Kenny
As @DBK said above. It was pack 2 and the fit was so simple, it far outweighed the cost - and it looks better too. ;) The amp for the status was right beside the old aerial post so the quick fit unit was able to be plugged straight in and away you go. Most time consuming part was removing the old sealant from the aerial base. New 4G antenna just peel off the backing paper from the pad and stick to roof. Belt and braces, I used sealant around the base as well.(y)(y)

OP
OP
J
Sep 23, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Ok so Ponyting Mimo arrived, sikaflex bought, just need 20mm hole cutter which I’ll pick up from screwfix tomorrow.. weather permitting will fit the aerial this weekend.
Just one question - I read somewhere that cables can be sometimes routed through the roof section, @Lenny HB do you know if hymer do this?
Thanks

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I blu tac the MiFi to the window, and seem to get a good signal in most places. I’ve resisted the temptation to get an external aerial, as the signal was improved considerably when I stuck the MiFi on the window. :)

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
Considering a roof mounted 3g/4g roof antenna to connect to my Huawei Mifi.

Motorhome WiFi do this one @ £240 -

https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/low-profile-4g-mimo-lte-roof-mount-antenna/

The quick mount looks quite good so the mifi can be quickly removed etc.

However this Ponyting one also looks ok and cheaper -

https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-wifi-antenna-omni-a-mimo-1-1.html

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with these? Also are they easy to diy fit?

Thanks!
I cancelled my 3 mifi contract after serious problems being overcharged, I got a new contract from Vodaphone for my HUAWEI mifi device, £20 for 100gb, they said it’s a standard sim with unlimited calls and texts as well. I put it in my iPhone and it works tethering my iPad or my laptop, so I cancelled my 3 contract for the phone as well, £30 for 3 mifi and £17 for 3 phone contract, that’s a £27 per month saving, haven’t used the HUAWEI since, can’t see the point now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ok so Ponyting Mimo arrived, sikaflex bought, just need 20mm hole cutter which I’ll pick up from screwfix tomorrow.. weather permitting will fit the aerial this weekend.
Just one question - I read somewhere that cables can be sometimes routed through the roof section, @Lenny HB do you know if hymer do this?
Thanks
About the only place you can get through the roof easily is by the main rooflight. There is a small length of trunking from the side of the van to the rooflight that the power cable for the lights goes through.
You really want to try to keep the cables from the MIMO to under a metre in length.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I blu tac the MiFi to the window, and seem to get a good signal in most places. I’ve resisted the temptation to get an external aerial, as the signal was improved considerably when I stuck the MiFi on the window. :)

We used to stick ours to the roof vent before we got an aerial. Worked very well.

OP
OP
J
Sep 23, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
About the only place you can get through the roof easily is by the main rooflight. There is a small length of trunking from the side of the van to the rooflight that the power cable for the lights goes through.
You really want to try to keep the cables from the MIMO to under a metre in length.
Thanks @Lenny HB, I wanted to put it behind the bathroom roof light, drop down into the wardrobe, should only be 0.5m of cable. Does that sound ok to you?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back