3rd, 4th, 5th Gearbox Issue- 1994 Peugeot Boxer 2.5 TD Swift Kontiki 640 (1 Viewer)

Scordell

Free Member
Aug 11, 2019
Atherstone
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hello All,
I recently purchased a 1994 Peugeot Boxer 2.5 TD Swift Kontiki 640 at 54k miles.

I managed to get it at a very very good price and was aware of an issue with third and fourth gears clunking when being selected.

As a temporary fix to this issue I managed to avoid clunking the gears by keeping the gear stick in neutral for 3-4 seconds and then selecting third or fourth.

My family and I recently used it on a trip to Wales for its first use and whilst travelling around it developed another issue where it would not stay in fifth gear. I could select fifth and release the clutch with no issue, but when I tried to accelerate it would jump out of gear.

I purchased this vehicle knowing it may well need a new gearbox so am prepared to potentially pay that sort of money, but after googling the issue it would seem many have had similar issues and avoided the cost of putting a new gearbox in.

If anyone has had this issue or alternatively could offer help and advice I’d be very grateful.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Search the Forum - gearbox problems with the 2.5TD (and others) are far from unknown. The really bad news is that replacement gearboxes are not available and rebuilding isn't an option either. There are no known supplies of spares for them

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
How can it be possible that "gearboxes are not available" when they were made by their thousands in boxer, relay and ducato?
Loads on ebay from what I can see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
Run it past Pappajohn or Dave Newell (tomorrow) - They’re both very knowledgeable and experienced - Pappajohn about Kontiki’s in particular.?

Just found this Scordell, but seek opinion of experts in the first instance:

Last edited:

bill1950

Free Member
Jan 9, 2018
Funster No
Heres my opinion.But after running several trucks I hope I know something

The 3rd to 4th problem is the probably the syncro cones try and double declutch esp when changing down and the 5th gear problem could be the detent springs in the selecter arms. The main problem is MH are in between cars and commercial. Too big for a car and too small for a commercial. It all depends where you live but these companies may be able to help. Try John at Transgear in Sheffield give him the symptoms and he will advise you and depending on where you live he might recommend someone local to you. Also there are several places around Birmingham and a very good gearbox reconditioner is at Albrighton Shropshire but I cant remember their name. Another good one is C&J gearboxes just off A14 near Cambridge but it all depends on where you live . Most will pick the gearbox up unless you are 100s miles away. Price wise I can get a truck gearbox reconed for about £1500 - £2000 so I would hazard a guess you are looking about £750 ish to have your gearbox reconed only a guess though

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
i've got that engine on 1999 autostratus and I had the same 5th gear symptoms as you are having.
the gearbox is basically a 4 speed box with a 5 gear bolted on to the side. It suffers from lack of lubrication as the oil gets into the 5th gear via 2 or 3 holes in the gearbox casing. The problem arises if the oil is not warm enough to flow through these holes ie no oil. The replacement of the 5th gear is not hard and can be done on axle stands, the problem is getting the right gearing.Check on google as there a few blogs about this problem. I got the gears from ebay for about £100 and my garage replaced it. The gearing is a bit higher and it cruises quite happily at 95kmh
The 5th gear had broken in Silves in portugal and I drove all the way back to UK in 4th gear (52 mph flat out) with no problems in my case. The syncromesh had gone and there were no odd noise coming from the gearbox.
My garage has told me to slightly overfill the gearbox oil and only use 5thy gear when the engine is hot.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
How can it be possible that "gearboxes are not available" when they were made by their thousands in boxer, relay and ducato?
Loads on ebay from what I can see.
I was repeating what has appeared on other threads. New spares are AFAIK no longer being made so fully reconditioned boxes aren't available. There will be loads of second-hand ones still around - possibly in the same condition as the OPs.

george w menzies

Free Member
Apr 25, 2018
Funster No
i had a swift with 2.5 td wih similar problems 3rd and 4th stiff and jumping out off 5th i striped it to find out the number off teeth on the gears also check syncro hub witch was knackerd found kit on ebay came folowing day cost about £70 quid .a competant diy mechcanic could do this job inside2 hours .
i found there was more water than oil in the box a known problem so i extended the drain pipes from above to prevent this and a litle extra fully synthetic gear oil in the geabox ran fine till i sold it

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The 3rd to 4th problem is the probably the syncro cones try and double declutch esp when changing down
How to 'double declutch'. Press clutch and change to neutral. release clutch. Rev the engine to the speed you think it will be when it's in the new gear. This synchronises the driving and driven gear cogs. When the engine speed is right, press the clutch, change gear and release the clutch.

Changing up, let the engine speed drop until it's right for the new gear. Changing down, rev the engine to bring it up to the right speed for the new gear. Practice, and you'll soon be double-declutching and braking (heel-and-toeing) like a rally driver.

Once upon a time, all gearboxes were like this. Happy days.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Search my posts, I had 2000 Boxer that crunched going 2nd to 3rd. Changed gearbox oil and after couple hundred miles, no more crunching for the thousands of miles before I changed van.

5th gear is a bolt on that is easily done without box out. Axel Augastine sells the parts.

Boxes can be rebuilt but new parts are becoming scarce so most reconditioned boxes are made up of salvaged parts from scrap ones

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
When you get it sorted fill with a full synthetic oil . eg Redline

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun