'3' feel at home 'throttling' (6 Viewers)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Can't talk about 3 but my Vodafone connection throughout my present trip France, Belgium, Netherlands and now Germany had hardly ever dropped down from 4G to 3G. I am presently on a seaside stellplatz in a rural location and am seeing download speeds of above 27 mb even here and it's often in the high 30's also I have never experience throttling, anyway Vodafone say they don't throttle and that appears confirmed. I don't think I am the poor relation or at the back of some que and my package of £22 a month for unlimited calls and texts with 20GB anywhere in Europe seems a great deal to me.

I don't hold any brief for Vodafone but before changing to them last yeat did my own research ignoring the doom mongers and they haven't let me down once. Always easy to contact if need be and great network with some cracking deals if you ask for them.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
3 I only use now for transiting countries. It is definitely throttled whether with or without the conivence of 3. I have NEVER achieved 4g abroad (and it's much more common there than here). In addition I use wifi to listen to the today prog on R4 when I can abroad. I can manage it for maybe an hour through Radio IPlayer. It is then blocked and can't be used again in that country. Local sims are fine!

Dick

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I've been on 3 for years, even in the UK 3G is slow. It doesn't seem any worse in France at the moment, still slow! We are lucky in that we use our motorhome wifi with a Fon signal most of the time. Reasonable speeds too.
Is the Vodafone tariff abroad liable to any use restrictions like 3 is bringing in later this month?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

roger7

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
I have used an Orange data sim for the last 4 years. Good connections and I recharge on line using a Caxton euro Master card.As per the ealier post its not a cheap option.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I've been on 3 for years, even in the UK 3G is slow. It doesn't seem any worse in France at the moment, still slow! We are lucky in that we use our motorhome wifi with a Fon signal most of the time. Reasonable speeds too.
Is the Vodafone tariff abroad liable to any use restrictions like 3 is bringing in later this month?
No restrictions whatsoever were given to me when I took up the latest offer in April. I think the one I have ended on May 9th I got Spotify premium included for a year. It's probably worth calling them during the day to see what deal you could get, if they think you would move from your existing provider they would offer you a deal. The Red entertainment deal for £25 a month includes Spotify which is worth 9.99 a month and you get 25GB of data with unlimited calls and texts. Or you can go down a little to Red Extra @£20 for 20GB

By the way the Vodafone app is very good and shows you how you much you are using easily. You'd could also but more data through it should you need to but I am finding my 20GB a month is plenty even for listening to the radio for the news every day and connection through wi di to my day nav.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Three sims are without doubt throttled for certain websites. If I try any of my banking websites it won't load at all. Most Other stuff works reasonably well though

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thank you, for the extra, speed those prices are bearable. :) I assume I can just buy these at a suitable shop?

I bought the sim in the orange shop in la baule and have always recharged it there in the past but last year I found another orange shop in the Leclerc at Guerande and they said that they could not recharge it, don't know why and how many shops that would apply to, possibly the one in Leclerc was a franchise of some sort.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have been using 3 PAYG trio sim for last five and a half months through France,Spain,Portugal,Belgium,Holland,Germany,Denmark and now Sweden.
Not had any problems wouldn't say it's the fastest but if a bit slow I switch the carrier from auto selection to manual and choose strongest signal seems to work for us.

Last edited:

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
I have been in France for 8 weeks now using a 4G Three Mifi and while I have never seen 4G it has been usable for the most part. It is certainly a lot cheaper than site wifi even if it is a bit slower.
If I have needed to use banking websites I have used my EE phone ( Half of my UK data allowance is allowed to be used for free in the EU ) which invariably has connected using 4G

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Three sims are without doubt throttled for certain websites. If I try any of my banking websites it won't load at all. Most Other stuff works reasonably well though
Never had a problem with bank sites using Three, connected to Nationwide & N & P fine, Lloyds is always slow abroad doesn't matter how you are connected.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Nationwide wouldn't work for me or toggle mobile. I gave up on 3 and use local sims . In Portugal I was getting 60gb for €30 of fast 4g. I am touring Ireland at the moment and it's a bit more expensive but I pay €20 for 7.5 gb of 4g. I just want it to work so 3 sim doesn't cut it for me

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can't talk about 3 but my Vodafone connection throughout my present trip France, Belgium, Netherlands and now Germany had hardly ever dropped down from 4G to 3G. I am presently on a seaside stellplatz in a rural location and am seeing download speeds of above 27 mb even here and it's often in the high 30's also I have never experience throttling, anyway Vodafone say they don't throttle and that appears confirmed. I don't think I am the poor relation or at the back of some que and my package of £22 a month for unlimited calls and texts with 20GB anywhere in Europe seems a great deal to me.

I don't hold any brief for Vodafone but before changing to them last yeat did my own research ignoring the doom mongers and they haven't let me down once. Always easy to contact if need be and great network with some cracking deals if you ask for them.
If you have an " anywhere in Europe" deal it wouldn't be throttled. The ones that are are using Uk cards. that work off local providers & you end up at the bottom of pile in busy areas.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I think that I understand that but how does that fit in with the download speeds being identical (according to Ookla) on '3' via orange and with orange direct but the actual connection speeds are vastly different.

I'm not a comms engineer either but I suspect that you are getting that download speed when you do have access but only when the main provider 'allows' access to you (as a non-priority client network user) when bandwidth is not being taken by their own subscribers. In effect you're getting the scraps, intermittently.
A bit like turning your water tap on and off; the water comes out at the same speed each time you turn it on but it's only being turned on and off intermittently.
(Good eh?).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back