Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I've asked for the weight at downplating lol!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Just because it has been downrated, it does not qualify for class 4 MOT unless it states 'motorcaravan' on V5? :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Hi sorry don't know the weight, the previous owner got that done but double checked when had it in for mot and they said it was coming up as a class 4.On log book it's got private hgv.Yeah not driven loads in it but engine and gearbox seem ok,chassis doesn't have any rust that will cause problems just surface rust from being sat around was going to wire brush and under seal it just didn't get round to it. With it being built as a coach it has side skirts built out of 30x30mm box section some of them are rusted and could do with replacing.I can get a video of underneath and running sent over to you if you want just might be towards weekend when can get to my parents.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Hi sorry don't know the weight, the previous owner got that done but double checked when had it in for mot and they said it was coming up as a class 4.On log book it's got private hgv.Yeah not driven loads in it but engine and gearbox seem ok,chassis doesn't have any rust that will cause problems just surface rust from being sat around was going to wire brush and under seal it just didn't get round to it. With it being built as a coach it has side skirts built out of 30x30mm box section some of them are rusted and could do with replacing.I can get a video of underneath and running sent over to you if you want just might be towards weekend when can get to my parents.

It's some years since I was a HGV/PSV Transport Owner/Manager but it used to be that to be taxed as a PHGV, the vehicle would be over 3.500kgs, but as PHGV is a Taxation Class, not a MOT Class it is, perhaps, advisable to put the Reg. Number into an online checker.

I know that you have stated what the MOT Station has told you BUT, YOU are responsible that the vehicle is road legal, NOT the MOT Station!

PS. Because the PHGV designation will deprive the Government of about a Ā£100 in Road Tax, around Surrey which is a Training Area, PHGV's would sometimes be 'pulled' more. (This might apply to other area's also?)

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
A relative of mine has Mercedes based overcab motorhome. It has twin wheel rear axle, six berth, large garage etc. When looking round it I noticed it was plated at 3500kg, when I asked him, he said he had downplated it for licence reasons. But, I said, it must weigh about 5000kg empty. He just looked blank and shrugged his shoulders:(:(:(:(

Geoff

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its been off the road a long time

1651040555111.png

Apr 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Self conversion merc
Exp
Since 1998
Mine weighs 5 ton empty then swmbo puts her clothes in and hey presto we're nearly up to the 6 ton max.the clue is in the 6 of 614 ha

OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Yeap one to pass on!!!

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Once converted, the weight is irrelevant to MOT, provided it is not used commercially. Before conversion, it would be MOT Class VII, as it is downrated, or N2 before the downrating.

It is up to you to tell the MOT tester what the purpose of the vehicle is (i.e. personal use motorhome). Provided it is plausible given the state of the vehicle (i.e. has proper sleeping/cooking facilities and doesn't contain lots of commercial goods), they should MOT as Class IV. It is irrelevant what is on the logbook.

Conversely, it could be a full blown from the factory motorhome and would need a Class VII/N2 if it was presented with 100 Amazon parcels in the garage that weren't for the home address.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Fully stripped out my vario weighed 3827kg on a weighbridge. that was with no interior not even a floor and before i had the rear framework welded in . so I've no idea how they could get that to under 3.5t . My guess is they didn't and somehow DVLA accepted their word for it

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Once converted, the weight is irrelevant to MOT, provided it is not used commercially. Before conversion, it would be MOT Class VII, as it is downrated, or N2 before the downrating.

It is up to you to tell the MOT tester what the purpose of the vehicle is (i.e. personal use motorhome). Provided it is plausible given the state of the vehicle (i.e. has proper sleeping/cooking facilities and doesn't contain lots of commercial goods), they should MOT as Class IV. It is irrelevant what is on the logbook.

Conversely, it could be a full blown from the factory motorhome and would need a Class VII/N2 if it was presented with 100 Amazon parcels in the garage that weren't for the home address.

You say it doesn't matter what's on the V5. Interesting!

What's on the V5 is surely what's on the electronic MOT data and I was under the impression that the tester could not change that even if he wanted too?
IF one wants it to be MOTed as a IV it must be registered as a 'Van with Windows' surely??

What do I know, it been a long time since I was a Transport Manager/Owner?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You say it doesn't matter what's on the V5. Interesting!

What's on the V5 is surely what's on the electronic MOT data and I was under the impression that the tester could not change that even if he wanted too?
IF one wants it to be MOTed as a IV it must be registered as a 'Van with Windows' surely??

What do I know, it been a long time since I was a Transport Manager/Owner?
You're correct . My vario had bus on the v5 and coukd only be tested as a bus until i had it removed from the psv register by dvsa . Before that no mot station could touch it.

Once done it was tested as an hgv and couldn't be tested as a class 4 until it had been converted and had no load space.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You're correct . My vario had bus on the v5 and coukd only be tested as a bus until i had it removed from the psv register by dvsa . Before that no mot station could touch it.

Once done it was tested as an hgv and couldn't be tested as a class 4 until it had been converted and had no load space.

Registered body type has (almost) no statutory purpose. I have had no difficulty getting a Class IV MOT for a 4500kg N2 registered vehicle without any re-registration required. All that is required is for the vehicle to actually be permanently converted. If it looks like a van with a mattress in the back and still has loads of carrying space, you will not succeed.

However, being registered as a bus with more than 8 passenger seats trumps anything else. I think they count as buses whatever the vehicle is used for and will need re-registration to get a Class IV.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Registered body type has (almost) no statutory purpose. I have had no difficulty getting a Class IV MOT for a 4500kg N2 registered vehicle without any re-registration required. All that is required is for the vehicle to actually be permanently converted. If it looks like a van with a mattress in the back and still has loads of carrying space, you will not succeed.

However, being registered as a bus with more than 8 passenger seats trumps anything else. I think they count as buses whatever the vehicle is used for and will need re-registration to get a Class IV.
Thats pretty much what i said above

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back