LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This year at the bash we was short of a ped because no matter what, it just would not start and run properly ( worse than all the others LOL! )
Over the past week I tore it down and went over it..
Duff reed block.. Looked ok but was leaking
Spark, only when it felt like it. Pick up had moved and was too far away from the flywheel
Slightly bunged up float valve reducing the petrol flow into the bowl

Nowt too rare or unusual you say... Until you consider ONE week before the Bash it was running perfectly!

All good now, and even starts first kick from cold

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
It needs to be used to ensure it’s ready for TB20.
Suggest you cancel order for new bike and make more use of what you got.
Shouldn’t take much to make it road legal:LOL:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It needs to be used to ensure it’s ready for TB20.
Suggest you cancel order for new bike and make more use of what you got.
Shouldn’t take much to make it road legal:LOL:
Now thats a challenge !!!

One I will take a pass on though :wink: :imoutahere:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Next week I start the repairs to the one that got rammed up the bum !

Smashed air box, bent stand, and eventually handlebars snapped off etc etc .....

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Next week I start the repairs to the one that got rammed up the bum !

Smashed air box, bent stand, and eventually handlebars snapped off etc etc .....

Oops, sorry about that.
I was trying to nick second across the line :cycle:and he just stopped short of the line right in front of me. I had nowhere to go (well, apart from over the handlebars!), honest. :whistle:

Ian

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oops, sorry about that.
I was trying to nick second across the line :cycle:and he just stopped short of the line right in front of me. I had nowhere to go (well, apart from over the handlebars!), honest. :whistle:

Ian
No sweat at all mate.. Every year something or other breaks, falls off or fails.. Poor little things do well considering the abuse they get !
Got it in the shed now, and found the lower engine mount has gone too.
Cannot get a replacement so the lathe and mill are gonna be busy during the week.
Bars are back on, the air box and engine cowl ( yep, that smashed too ! :LOL: ) will just plastic weld without too much hassle

Gives me something to do LOL!!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
No sweat at all mate.. Every year something or other breaks, falls off or fails.. Poor little things do well considering the abuse they get !
Got it in the shed now, and found the lower engine mount has gone too.
Cannot get a replacement so the lathe and mill are gonna be busy during the week.
Bars are back on, the air box and engine cowl ( yep, that smashed too ! :LOL: ) will just plastic weld without too much hassle

Gives me something to do LOL!!

Double Oops! :(

Ian

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All now done apart from the air box.. Been at hossy today so no chance to finish it.. Will do it tomorrow .. Then I might be tempted to pull the blue one apart and see if I can get it to tick over better !

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Knoblies, can we have knoblies, I had no problem putting the power down but, as everyone knows, the most powerful thing on a motorbike is the brakes and I just couldn’t use all their power! That’s what was slowing me down, it was the brakes! :giggler:

Did I just say that? :lipssealed:

Ian

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Any chance you could weld some rear pegs on so we can do stand up wheelies :)
You can sod right off !
Any attempted wheelies next year will earn you 1 hour in the sin bin.. by which time it will all be over and we can feel safe again !!!!!!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Knoblies, can we have knoblies, I had no problem putting the power down but, as everyone knows, the most powerful thing on a motorbike is the brakes and I just couldn’t use all their power! That’s what was slowing me down, it was the brakes! :giggler:

Did I just say that? :lipssealed:

Ian
No problem Ian.. next year I will be sure to disconnect the brakes on the bikes you ride !

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
This year at the bash we was short of a ped because no matter what, it just would not start and run properly ( worse than all the others LOL! )
Spark, only when it felt like it. Pick up had moved and was too far away from the flywheel

Nowt too rare or unusual you say... Until you consider ONE week before the Bash it was running perfectly!

All good now, and even starts first kick from cold

It was scared! And having watched the races I’m not surprised :D

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You can sod right off !
Any attempted wheelies next year will earn you 1 hour in the sin bin.. by which time it will all be over and we can feel safe again !!!!!!

Thanks for the warning.
I’ll wait for the last lap of the last race and do a Max Biaggi as my wining stunt :rofl:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks for the warning.
I’ll wait for the last lap of the last race and do a Max Biaggi as my wining stunt :rofl:
It will be a rolling hour.. so you will be stuffed the following year !

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It would be worth it :)

And I could change my forum name and come incognito :D
or ask John to fix your own bike so the curse doesnt strike again :p

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The 'accident damage' has now been repaired.. just waiting for a new air filter and that will be number 2 completed.. Next one MIGHT be the blue one... just need the carb stripping and cleaning I think

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

That is so typical, just when you want your pride & joy to shine it goes into a major huff.
I'd had bikes for years & every year a crowd of us went to Blackpool for a jolly boys outing type weekend.
My Honda 400 Four just didn't want to go there & always failed just before we were due to leave. :mad:
I finally got it right by getting a Suzuki 1000GSe & toured down to Italy, we had a ball.

I was also into vintage stationary engine & bought one which needed a whole load of work, the water jacket was frost damaged & sported a big split which everyone said couldn't be repaired.
I fashioned a large piece of steel which I shaped & fitted with Sikaflex & bolts to stitch it all together.
I was aiming for a summer vintage tractor & machinery show in July, I bought the engine in June.
The valves (side valve engine) were sticking, I overhauled the magneto, cleaned the fuel system & serviced the carb, it started first go which was amazing as all I did was swing the flywheel over to check the compression & away she went.
So I got busy & painted it up to perfection & added new transfers, all brass was polished up.
I ran it for a few hours every day & on the morning of the show it started first go.
I got to the show itself & she started perfectly but, before the public showed up it spluttered to a halt.
I ended up stripping it down & could find nothing wrong but, it still wouldn't start! :mad:

Went home very disgruntled & unloaded the engine, so before I put it into my workshop & gave it another spin over & the f***er started! :cry:

I feel your pain mate. :(

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That is so typical, just when you want your pride & joy to shine it goes into a major huff.
I'd had bikes for years & every year a crowd of us went to Blackpool for a jolly boys outing type weekend.
My Honda 400 Four just didn't want to go there & always failed just before we were due to leave. :mad:
I finally got it right by getting a Suzuki 1000GSe & toured down to Italy, we had a ball.

I was also into vintage stationary engine & bought one which needed a whole load of work, the water jacket was frost damaged & sported a big split which everyone said couldn't be repaired.
I fashioned a large piece of steel which I shaped & fitted with Sikaflex & bolts to stitch it all together.
I was aiming for a summer vintage tractor & machinery show in July, I bought the engine in June.
The valves (side valve engine) were sticking, I overhauled the magneto, cleaned the fuel system & serviced the carb, it started first go which was amazing as all I did was swing the flywheel over to check the compression & away she went.
So I got busy & painted it up to perfection & added new transfers, all brass was polished up.
I ran it for a few hours every day & on the morning of the show it started first go.
I got to the show itself & she started perfectly but, before the public showed up it spluttered to a halt.
I ended up stripping it down & could find nothing wrong but, it still wouldn't start! :mad:

Went home very disgruntled & unloaded the engine, so before I put it into my workshop & gave it another spin over & the f***er started! :cry:

I feel your pain mate. :(
Same as when you go to sell something...Some oddity will always fail to function in front of the customer !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back