Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi Folks
Hopefully soon buying our first MH, going to look at a 2008 Cathargo I44 with 30,000 miles, on a Fiat tomorrow. Does anyone have experience of this model and age? Things to look for that may be unique to this model. It is a private sale.
In general is there any major downsides on a vehicle this old? In the car world regular use is considered a plus as opposed to infrequent use.
Also it is rated at 3850 kgs and has Fiat 2.3 130bhp, is this adequate for driving over Alpine passes?
I have seen variants with the 3.0 180 and 160bhp engines, though they are thin on the ground.
The MH does not appear to have any extras fitted other than hydraulic levellers and front axle air suspension. There is no solar, extra batt, awning, SOG etc.
We want to be able to wild camp, off grid as much as possible, so would need to factor in costs to provide enough power in the future.
Also does anyone know if this age of Cathargo is wood free construction?
Hope you can help
asking price is 36k
which on the one hand looks OK but on the other is a fair chunk of hard earned, so need to be sure it is OK
Hope you can offer some help
chablais

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0
Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
I trust you have the correct driving license for over 3500 kgs first of all,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just make sure it's dry !

Then celebrate how much money you are saving. 8 years and 30K is just nicely run in.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:
Fairly certain it is wood free all current ones are. If you look at the internal walls they should be finished with a micro fibre cloth which indicates the inner wall is aluminum.
Quite a small van the 130 engine will have no problems pulling it up the hills, good engine.
Internal floor hatches tend to collapse on them if they have had heavy occupants, check that the Al-Ko rear axle has been greased every year as expensive to replace. Do check there is enough space on the roof to fit solar panels because of the design of the front end some models lack roof space. Also I would try and get it on a weighbridge before committing to buy, Carthago's tend to come out the factory on the heavy side and with the jacks & air suspension payload may be a bit tight.

Assuming it is a Chic C-line price sounds good, especially once you have haggled a bit off.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As like us you to plan on camping off grid payload becomes very important as you will want to run with a full water tank.
The MIRO (running weight) given by the manufacturer includes a driver @75kg, 90% fuel, 20Lt of water, 1 x 11kg aluminium gas bottle . To this you need to add any extras that have been fitted, hydraulic jacks (50kg), air suspension (50kg), awning (40kg). Then add the weight of a passenger, will probably have two steel gas bottle (another 30kg), clothes, bedding, food, pots & pans bikes etc. The Chic I think has a 160lt water tank so a full tank will add 140kg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chablais

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Many thanks for the very useful replies, hi Lenny, yes I have thought about the payload, it does sound like it is very likely to be overweight, there is a weighbridge 13miles from the sellers house, so hopefully will be able to weigh it. Interesting how different people have very different ideas with regard to vans. I would have put solar and extra batteries well in front of self levellers, but we are all unique!
How long do pumps, electrical switchgear, heaters, water boliers etc tend to last (on the habitation side) again from a car perspective bits start going wrong and failing at about this age

Upvote 0
Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
It's very easy to get carried away with what you need to carry and have fitted I found the best way is to try it out as it is for a couple of nights and then see what you need, enthusiasm often overtakes common sense and you end up with bits in the shed that never get used.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Jim our ringleader on here has produced a wonderful book about buying motorhomes, but you need to join us at a cost of £15 subscripion fee to access it I think.

Anyway welcome to fun, hope you join you will get your money back fairly quickly with the member discounts that have been negotiated on our behalf.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's very easy to get carried away with what you need to carry and have fitted I found the best way is to try it out as it is for a couple of nights and then see what you need, enthusiasm often overtakes common sense and you end up with bits in the shed that never get used.
True, we often have a clear out but to be practical still need at least 600kg payload if you want to run with full tanks.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Welcome

Im still looking for a suitable Mho and have read through Jim's guide well worth the read.

Also do all the other checks i.e. HPI etc

Good luck

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
How long do pumps, electrical switchgear, heaters, water boliers etc tend to last (on the habitation side) again from a car perspective bits start going wrong and failing at about this age
Too long for you to need to worry about them.:)
Most of the items these days a fairly reliable and they will have probably only been used for a total time of 2-3 months a year.

Upvote 0

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Lenny HB is right before you buy get a genuine weight bridge ticket.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chablais

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi Folks
So I have been to see and drive the van, it weighed 3420kg with half a fuel tank (40kgs) 1 full gas cylinder, alloy, one tv and bedding on both beds and driver, next to no water in the tanks, one real spare wheel with tyre fitted. It is plated at 3850kg. It has just had a Hab check/service, new cam belt and service. It drove well, and quiet. For me it was interesting that it has both Alde and Webasto heating, and both have heat exchangers. Only one leisure battery, no solar panels. As we want to wild camp as much as possible I would imagine we would want two batteries and two or three panels. Roughly how heavy are the panels and gear?
It also has air suspension front axle and hydraulic self levellers.
I am a little concerned about the payload. There is only two of us and we are light, 45 and 65kg. But with full water and waste tanks and an extra battery and solar panels it starts adding up.
We also wish to carry four cycles at 12kg a bike.
How much does the day to day living stuff weigh? Pots and pans, plates, cutlery, general 'stuff' to make the van function, electrical leads, hosepipes, gas fittings, tools, seats, table etc.
Any pointers that would save me getting it all out and weighing it would be gratefully received.
We are used to travelling light as cyclists, but the van way of travelling is new to us.
Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Chablais,

:welcomesign:to the best place to be, apart from in the van. Although you are asking about the weight of various essentials for your van there is no easy answer. How many pans do you intend to take, how long is your hosepipe, how many tools do you want to take !!
If there are only going to be two of you as you say do you need four bikes !!
I originally weighed ever item I needed for my van and then compiled a list, then lost the list !!
Only you know what you will need but I would suggest weighing what you need as opposed to what you would like.
Happy touring, overweight or not :welcome4:

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Carthago? - You'd be unlucky to have problems with it. The only wood is in the fine cabinet work. You're likely to be overweight in this one, but not unlike many others. One battery should be enough unless you stay in one place at length. Hydraulic levelling is a boon for rough ground and other reasons. Improved front suspension is also a worthwhile improvement.
Learn to live with it before adding extras, if you do purchase, especially if difficult to remove. You could trade the added weight of a tow bar to be able to carry heavy stuff in a trailer. Also investigate the UK Owner Group.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back