240v appliances on hook up (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello all

The gaffer went and bought a microwave for bebe.....Yes the van has been given a name now by the gaffer.
Can you use 240v appliances such as microwave or hair dryer, coffee machine when on EHU?
The microwave is still in the box in the garage so can take it back.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
you need to check out the site fuse, normally where you plug in, but probably NOT all your appliances all at the same time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends on the EHU supply, in the UK most are either 10 amp or 16 amp. Also on the MCB's in your van German vans for example are nearly always 10 amp max.
EHU's in France/Spain/Portugal 5 or 6 amp is very common, Italy 3 amp is not unusual.
Microwaves can take up to twice the rated current on startup.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
you need to check out the site fuse, normally where you plug in, but probably NOT all your appliances all at the same time
cheers. unlikely to be using more than one appliance at a time but will keep that in mind when we're away and not assume we can do things in same way as at home.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We use an 800watt Bosch combined Microwave and grill and 1000w kettle, both have been switched on at the same time whilst on EHU without tripping anything.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Depends on the EHU supply, in the UK most are either 10 amp or 16 amp. Also on the MCB's in your van German vans for example are nearly always 10 amp max.
EHU's in France/Spain/Portugal 5 or 6 amp is very common, Italy 3 amp is not unusual.
Microwaves can take up to twice the rated current on start-up.
Thanks Lenny. we got the micro as we plan to take as much ready cooked food home made food with us as we did first time out. Can it do harm to the van electrics?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Microwave, coffee machine, hair dryer take roughly 4 or 5 amps each. Hookup posts are mostly 10A, with some 16A and some 6A. Your fridge takes about 1A. So you can see that one single appliance will very likely be fine, but more than one at a time can sometimes trip the hookup.

If you look at the circuit breaker on the hookup post, the Amps limit is written on it. Typically 'B10' or 'B16', or sometimes 'C10' or 'C16'

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We use an 800watt Bosch combined Microwave and grill and 1000w kettle, both have been switched on at the same time whilst on EHU without tripping anything.
Good to know that. I assumed the uk site EHU were all 240v but didn't take account of Ah. Very frustrating for me not understanding these things

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Good to know that. I assumed the uk site EHU were all 240v but didn't take account of Ah. Very frustrating for me not understanding these things
Most sites are between 10amps and 16amps but all are 230/240volts. In my simplistic brain the amps is the size of signal you can suck out of the cable before you trip the box on the hook up.
if you check each appliance to see what max amps they use and then you add them together as you are using them, if the total goes over the EHU amps 10/16 then it will trip.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny. we got the micro as we plan to take as much ready cooked food home made food with us as we did first time out. Can it do harm to the van electrics?
Can't do any harm if it overloads the circuit the breakers trip. What you don't want to do is trip a site bollard if it's in a locked cabinet, other vans plugged into the same cabinet will not be happy with you.
An 800 watt microwave can take 7 amps on startup if on a continental site the 220v can often be down at 210v or lower so the current will be higher.

IMO Microwaves are a waste of space and payload in a Motorhome there is nothing you can't heat by other means but we don't use EHU. Also hate the way microwaved food comes out scalding hot burns your mouth then in a few minutes its too cold to eat.

Upvote 0

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
If you Google 'caravan appliance wattage table' there are plenty which will give you an idea of what appliances draw, such as this one, halfway down the page

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Can't do any harm if it overloads the circuit the breakers trip. What you don't want to do is trip a site bollard if it's in a locked cabinet, other vans plugged into the same cabinet will not be happy with you.
An 800 watt microwave can take 7 amps on startup if on a continental site the 220v can often be down at 210v or lower so the current will be higher.

IMO Microwaves are a waste of space and payload in a Motorhome there is nothing you can't heat by other means but we don't use EHU. Also hate the way microwaved food comes out scalding hot burns your mouth then in a few minutes its too cold to eat.
Hi Lenny
Thanks for the advice. Yes I think it was a hasty purchase. As a chef I do find them useful to heat certain things that wouldn't come out too well like home cooked pre cooked veg, soups, beans that type of thing By the time it's heated up in the oven the green veg are rank. (just goes to show the kind of cheffing I do)
I think with the issue of payload and the hassle of pulling it out of the garage and deciding where to sit it for use makes it too much of a bother and we'll do without. It's still in the box and going back.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thanks for the advice everyone. Considering the van doesn't have loads of space and the only feasible place to use it would be on the table we'd be eating at and the fact there is not really a convenient place to store other than under the bed or out in the garage I think we are going to have to do without.

No I'm not one of those 'Ping' chefs. I use a micro at work a lot for things like melting chocolate or heating up a small amount of food that would suffer in the oven.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Thing to remember if its not a permanent fixture is to make sure it is stored securely. In the event of heavy braking it could cause injury if loose

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our microwave is generally used for storage - despite the "convenience" it rarely gets used, even on hookup which is not often. I'm not going to remove it as then I'd have a big hole to fill, but I wouldn't have one if I bought another van.

As an aside, it's interesting that over the years we've had the van we're using 240v appliances less and less - I've even replaced the (240v) habitation aircon with a 12v fresh air system by Maxxair. All chargers can now be run off 12v and I can't remember when we last used the inverter - maybe that should go too? But of course we tend not to use campsites with hookup so perhaps we're not completely typical.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
For those not wishing to click through to another site, this is the power consumption table

Electrical consumption table.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
But it is an inductive load not resistive.
I'd have thought it would use less power at a lower voltage. If you plugged it into a 12vac power supply would the microwave use 66.6 amps? (800w) extreme difference I know but where do you draw the line.
🤔 Some regulated LEDs use more amps at lower voltage but that's the only thing I've come across.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back