240v appliances on hook up (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello all

The gaffer went and bought a microwave for bebe.....Yes the van has been given a name now by the gaffer.
Can you use 240v appliances such as microwave or hair dryer, coffee machine when on EHU?
The microwave is still in the box in the garage so can take it back.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you think that you may move to Lithium, make sure that your solar controller has an option for them else you'll need to buy another. Changing to Lithium is usually more than a simple swap of the battery. Frankly, you'll probably get on fine with the technology already on board. There are so many variables, it'll be better to see how you get on first. You may even decide to swap the van...
Try not to fret about potential problems, they may never occur. The ones that do are almost bound to be those that you don't anticipate.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have to say that you can get a better deal by NOT using your dealer - no disrespect but all he'll do is sub it out to someone else and put his 10-20% on top. Better to go direct to someone who knows what they're doing and can give proper advice. The first of which should be go for as much as your roof will accomodate, you can never have too much solar! We get by happily with 100w but we tend not to stay in one place very long so our travels recharge the batteries okay (B2B charger) and most of it is anyway in sunnier climes!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
What you need to do first is decide whether you intend to do much "wild camping" (off site's) we have a 100watt solar panel and the moho has NOT been on 240 for about 3 months, both batteries, starter and leisure PERFECT, we wild camp on route to our destinations, so we wild camp for just a night or two, if you intend to wild camp more than that, then as already said get as much solar as possible, but make sure the solar controller charges BOTH leisure and starter batteries, good luck

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
cheers. unlikely to be using more than one appliance at a time but will keep that in mind when we're away and not assume we can do things in same way as at home.
Appliances will include your space heater and water heater if switched to electric plus your lights TV if on mains battery charger etc.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
... plus fridge (although that's not a big consumer). Heating is the main culprit and that switches on/off unpredictably.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
... plus fridge (although that's not a big consumer). Heating is the main culprit and that switches on/off unpredictably.

With modern designs, the fridge may be a compressor type. This might make the fridge the biggest consumer of electricity.

Reactions: two
Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Have to say that you can get a better deal by NOT using your dealer - no disrespect but all he'll do is sub it out to someone else and put his 10-20% on top. Better to go direct to someone who knows what they're doing and can give proper advice. The first of which should be go for as much as your roof will accomodate, you can never have too much solar! We get by happily with 100w but we tend not to stay in one place very long so our travels recharge the batteries okay (B2B charger) and most of it is anyway in sunnier climes!
Don't know who to go to really, I'm in Glasgow. I was thinking of the place that done the recall work but there is a small independent campervan place near me. I'll get quotes from a few places but comparing the offer would be difficult as I have no understanding of these things other than getting as much solar onto the roof space as I can as you say.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
If you think that you may move to Lithium, make sure that your solar controller has an option for them else you'll need to buy another. Changing to Lithium is usually more than a simple swap of the battery. Frankly, you'll probably get on fine with the technology already on board. There are so many variables, it'll be better to see how you get on first. You may even decide to swap the van...
Try not to fret about potential problems, they may never occur. The ones that do are almost bound to be those that you don't anticipate.
Won't be swapping the van as we've just bought it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
What you need to do first is decide whether you intend to do much "wild camping" (off site's) we have a 100watt solar panel and the moho has NOT been on 240 for about 3 months, both batteries, starter and leisure PERFECT, we wild camp on route to our destinations, so we wild camp for just a night or two, if you intend to wild camp more than that, then as already said get as much solar as possible, but make sure the solar controller charges BOTH leisure and starter batteries, good luck

I would imagine we'll be about the same as you. Will spend maybe a night or two wild camping on the way to a site and spend most of our time on a site. We both feel we would like to be near to towns/cities for the markets and things to see but like walking so outdoors appeals too. Our preferences may change over time though so will keep to the battery type we have for now until we get used to the whole thing.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Won't be swapping the van as we've just bought it.

My point was not to fix what's not broke.
You can spend a lot in the excitement of an initial purchase, only to discover that you didn't need it.
A couple of years can be a long time in motorhoming and, by then, you may realise that you could do better with something else. Some investments take a while to recover and you may not keep your first van that long.

Learn about payload. You have a finite amount and may wish to 'spend' it differently once you've weighed-up what you would like to take.
Try to be patient and discover for yourself what your preferences are.
I'd spend more time planning where to go with it than what to add.

"You cannot have too much solar" is generally true (as long as your payload will permit) but whether you need any or not will depend on how you use the vehicle. I manage without solar, so don't rush. I do hope that does not confuse...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
My point was not to fix what's not broke.
You can spend a lot in the excitement of an initial purchase, only to discover that you didn't need it.
A couple of years can be a long time in motorhoming and, by then, you may realise that you could do better with something else. Some investments take a while to recover and you may not keep your first van that long.

Learn about payload. You have a finite amount and may wish to 'spend' it differently once you've weighed-up what you would like to take.
Try to be patient and discover for yourself what your preferences are.
I'd spend more time planning where to go with it than what to add.

"You cannot have too much solar" is generally true (as long as your payload will permit) but whether you need any or not will depend on how you use the vehicle. I manage without solar, so don't rush. I do hope that does not confuse...
I take all you're points, especially on payload as the van is 3500. Would that be total payload? I'm only looking into a solar set up for now to get an idea of price but most likely won't do anything till next year.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I take all you're points, especially on payload as the van is 3500. Would that be total payload? I'm only looking into a solar set up for now to get an idea of price but most likely won't do anything till next year.

Payload will be very important for you. It may be the prime reason you consider a different model in future.
There's no harm in investigating and understanding alternative scenarios, but I'd be very cautious about spending more until you have discovered your requirements from personal experience.
Don't fret too much if you exceed your payload: you won't be alone, but most do so in ignorance and you're already becoming much wiser.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2018
Funster No
Well I can say I like the microwave in my van - was factory fitted when I bought it. Great for soups, beans, sauces etc and came in handy when doing Xmas lunch! When not on EHU it is used as a bread cupboard!!
Just remember to take the bread out when you get home or you have a bluey, powdery, disgusting looking loaf when you next use the van!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back