2 questions - Windscreen covers- in or out? And sterilizing the water tank - how? (1 Viewer)

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Hello Motorhomers, we are nearing completion with our project but a few details are still a puzzle.
Q1. We need to black out the windscreen, obvs, but there are covers that go inside the cab and covers that go on the outside.... Which is best?!
Q2. The water tank instructions tell us to sanitize the Tank using bleach from time to time (and our water at home is from a bore hole so it has no chlorine added) - we'd rather not use bleach in case we don't manage to clean it out properly afterwards. Does anyone use Milton for this purpose? And seeing as it's only got a hose pipe push on inlet, no direct access to the Tank, how do you get the bleach or whatever in the tank?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have internal screen covers. As we wild camp sometimes, we feel happier that we could drive off, if necessary, without having to leave the van.

We don't sterilise our water tank. We drink bottled water.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
If you don't sterilise your tank now and again it will start to grow biofilms which appear as black slime. Emptying your tank and letting it dry out also helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't external covers get awfully soggy in our wet weather? Where do you put them when it's rained and you want to get on your way?
They don't get 'soggy' as they don't absorb water but obviously the outer surfaces get wet, there are also different 'levels' of insulation so some will take up a lot less space than others.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
They come with a waterproof bag, so in they go! We do try to dry them out if they are not going to be used for a while though! Wouldn’t be without our silver screens - we have the privacy panel so we can see out during the day, but I can still get changed if I need to, as we have a pvc, so nowhere to hide! Have to say, if we are wilding we just use the remis blinds, but they are not a patch on silver screens for insulation, condensation or black out qualities!

Purely academic because I have a bulk head wall anyway, but I've often wondered. Good thing with the bag. I've just always thought it would be a soggy mess. Like putting a wet tent away. I'm tenting tomorrow, so I think I'll have that particular joy of wet tents and too small a bag to look forward to soon.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our screens bag has lost its waterproof qualities so if I have to pack them wet they stand up in the shower whilst we are travelling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our screens bag has lost its waterproof qualities so if I have to pack them wet they stand up in the shower whilst we are travelling.
Black bin bag ....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back