14 year old tyres (2 Viewers)

Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
I bought a motorhome, 2008 Bessacarr E635 in July last year from Motorhome depot in Nottingham. I've have tonight found that tyres have date on them as 0712. Found out hard way after blow out on inner wall of tyre tonight travelling back from Lake district. It happened close to junction on M6 but because of road works I had to drive off at junction.
Motorhome ws going into garage next week to have tyres checked/replaced.

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I'm not sure but I believe Motorhome depot is an agent selling on behalf of a private seller?. I don't believe you have a warranty? The seller sent it for an MOT I can't think of anything else they're could of done really. I'd just change tyres and get on with it! You were going to change them anyway.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
antprice1970
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
I got an advisory on mine for cracked side walls on five year old tyres

I agree it would be useful at MOT and any service that tyre date / age is confirmed 👍

Are all four tyres the same age ?
I will be replacing all tyres before next journey, I cannot find dates on tyres, the one that blew yesterday had date on inner wall.
I just know that if I was a large company selling motorhomes that I would ensure, on hand over, that tyres where advisories if of certain age, then I would have made the change them before I purchased. I know it is not law but it should be at least be an advisory.
Thanks
Anthony

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I bought a motorhome, 2008 Bessacarr E635 in July last year from Motorhome depot in Nottingham. I've have tonight found that tyres have date on them as 0712. Found out hard way after blow out on inner wall of tyre tonight travelling back from Lake district. It happened close to junction on M6 but because of road works I had to drive off at junction.
Motorhome ws going into garage next week to have tyres checked/replaced.
Motorhome Depot is only a conduit between an owner wishing to sell and a prospective purchaser and although I sympathise with what must have been an awful experience you have had the Motorhome more than enough time to discover the age of the tyres which are just another thing to be checked as part of routine upkeep. I doubt you have any comeback whatever, indeed I don’t think you should have.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
antprice1970
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
I'm not sure but I believe Motorhome depot is an agent selling on behalf of a private seller?. I don't believe you have a warranty? The seller sent it for an MOT I can't think of anything else they're could of done really. I'd just change tyres and get on with it! You were going to change them anyway.
No the seller didn't have it mot'd, I insisted it had a 12 month mot before I purchased. Motorhome depot changed cambelt on there terms.
Regards
Anthony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
antprice1970
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
Motorhome Depot is only a conduit between an owner wishing to sell and a prospective purchaser and although I sympathise with what must have been an awful experience you have had the Motorhome more than enough time to discover the age of the tyres which are just another thing to be checked as part of routine upkeep. I doubt you have any comeback whatever, indeed I don’t think you should have.
I agree it is down to me, as stated I didn't realise the age of tyres until I read on this forum. I guess I trusted motorhome depot.
Thanks for your telling off👍

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Setting rules for tyre age is all well and good but tyres aren’t all the same. Continental say check/inspect at 10 years, other manufacturers are less.
Add driving styles, maintenance and ambient conditions and it gets even worse. When I started driving back in the 60’s we were told to check tyres, same thing holds good now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
antprice1970
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
Hi, sorry to hear about your experience.

Mostly it’s the motorhome community that recommends 5 years, the Michelin tyres I had on mine, had a manufacturer’s recommendation of 10, so rather confusing at times I’m afraid.

That said, get them all checked or replaced so that you feel a lot more confident next time you’re out and good luck.

Hopefully these might be of some use to you.
View attachment 892775View attachment 892776View attachment 892777
Thank you for your reply, I am in process of replacing all tyres.
Thanks again for information
Anthony

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think your only comeback would be if the tyres were described as new or something similar

As you say live and learn , glad it didn’t have a worse outcome 👍

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I check the tyres before every journey (leaving home) and when away if I have concerns about road conditions
But I'm very lucky as when I get it serviced mot'd I always get the opportunity to have a good look.under the vehicle .
Having a good chat with the old school mechanic when we are in the pit or it's on ramps.
Wear and tear on the inside of the tire is always checked.
He loves my van. As it gets used lots compared to others he sees

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
10 years, but a Jev said RVs are PHGV so class 4 MOT ( car MOT ) and £165 a year road tax (y)
Plus HGV have rules about cracks/cuts regardless of age that also don’t apply if tested as a motorhome. Think it was two or three years back they brought some new rules in

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
I check the tyres before every journey (leaving home) and when away if I have concerns about road conditions
But I'm very lucky as when I get it serviced mot'd I always get the opportunity to have a good look.under the vehicle .
Having a good chat with the old school mechanic when we are in the pit or it's on ramps.
Wear and tear on the inside of the tire is always checked.
He loves my van. As it gets used lots compared to others he sees
Sounds cosy in the pit with the mechanic ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
antprice1970
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
I got an advisory on mine for cracked side walls on five year old tyres

I agree it would be useful at MOT and any service that tyre date / age is confirmed 👍

Are all four tyres the same age ?
I'm struggling to find dates on tyres, due to disability I cannot crawl under motorhome to see if dates, as on one that blew, was on inner of wall. I'm currently looking for tyre fitters in my area to change all tyres. I know for future reference when they will need replacing then. Alot on this site are easy to judge sat behind a computer, but I was simply saying that if you buy from a dealer then they should advise buyer on tyres because if I was selling privately I would inform year I replaced tyres. All of us have been novices when starting out in motorhome/camper world.
Thank you for your reply
Anthony

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I had my last tyres done at home by tyres on the drive , owned by Halfords which many would swerve but I got best price and convenience of fitting at home

Presuming you keep yours at home of course

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
antprice1970
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
I had my last tyres done at hone by tyres in the drive , owned by Halfords which many would swerve but I got best price and convenience of fitting at home

I will look into tyres in the drive, motorhome is in storage but I can bring it home for fitting.
Thanks

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm struggling to find dates on tyres, due to disability I cannot crawl under motorhome to see if dates, as on one that blew, was on inner of wall. I'm currently looking for tyre fitters in my area to change all tyres. I know for future reference when they will need replacing then. Alot on this site are easy to judge sat behind a computer, but I was simply saying that if you buy from a dealer then they should advise buyer on tyres because if I was selling privately I would inform year I replaced tyres. All of us have been novices when starting out in motorhome/camper world.
Thank you for your reply
Anthony
If the tread depth is the same on the tyre on the other side of the axle of the one that blew it is probably the same date.

Unfortunately with dealers as long as the tyres are legal they are not under any obligation, I doubt they would crawl under every van they take in to check tyre date. A lot probably wouldn't even be aware of recommendation on tyre age.
In your case you bought privately via a broker

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I’ve just changed my motorhome tyres on age.

Something I’ve Recomended a lot on here.

The garage who changed them were quite surprised.

Yep that surprised me too. The garage wondering g why I changed mine last year with so much tread on them and looking ok

They were on a 2017 van. So were 6 years old. I always change my caravan tyres at 5 years and have that as a rule of thumb to me.

Tyres and condition probably comes from obsession in relation the motorbike tyres. Where they are even more critical

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I had my last tyres done at home by tyres on the drive , owned by Halfords which many would swerve but I got best price and convenience of fitting at home

They wrecked mine and put the van out of use .

Eventually took to a tyre fitter of my choice to rectify on the back of a lowloader

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I will look into tyres in the drive, motorhome is in storage but I can bring it home for fitting.
Thanks
Try protyre I have found them very good bought put a load of independent maybe franchies but local guys often been with company foe years and many experienced with large vehicles

They may even price match

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We use our self levellers over the winter while we're not using the van and also if we're not using it for more than 2 weeks. We don't lift the wheels off the ground but just take the bulk of the weight off the tyres. The sun is our main concern.
Our wee car is now almost 14 and never having had a puncture the spare tyre has never been used. Does rubber that's not been exposed to the sun perish?

Upvote 0
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Thank you for your reply
Anthony
I'm certainly not hiding behind my computer judging I can understand your disappointment that you got a puncture and the tyres are old. I bought my first van nearly 3 years ago and after a year or so I noticed some slight cracking around tyre wall so I changed them. It's not the previous owners fault it's just part of ownership of a second hand vehicle. Lots of things will break and need tinkering with whilst you have your MH....but 10 months after purchase for what is essentially a private sale...you need to move on!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I hope not, our spare is in our MH garage and looks brand new, infact it technically is, but fitted in 2005 🤔😁

It will get us out of danger if needed 👍
Are you feeling lucky?
They still deteriate but not so fast and at that age it's only fit for the bin, not worth the risk.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back