14 year old tyres (2 Viewers)

Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
I bought a motorhome, 2008 Bessacarr E635 in July last year from Motorhome depot in Nottingham. I've have tonight found that tyres have date on them as 0712. Found out hard way after blow out on inner wall of tyre tonight travelling back from Lake district. It happened close to junction on M6 but because of road works I had to drive off at junction.
Motorhome ws going into garage next week to have tyres checked/replaced.

OP
OP
antprice1970
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
Only by reading forms on here, I was not aware about 5 year rule to replace tyres. Surely a depot selling motorhomes should be doing these checks. Am I within my rights to make a complaint to motorhome depot, now called Rove, as I put my trust in them when I purchased from them?

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
So sorry you have had that experience.

You could send a complaint but I would not hold my breath. You have had the motorhome approaching a year, and as owner you are responsible for it's running order and safety.

It's the same thing with buying a car, one of the things you look at is the state and date on the tyres. It's not a rule that they have to be changed, but strongly recommended.

The person doing the handover may have said something, but there is so much else to take in it didn't register.

When was the cambelt last changed would be my next question?

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have found that the date code can often be fitted facing inwards so virtually impossible to see without removing the wheel

Was it MOT’d at the time you bought it, or have you had that done? Was there any advisory about the tyres?

BTW I think the code reads week then year of manufacture, so although still old they are coming up for 12 years old, do they all have the same date code ? Is it possible a spare has been fitted which could easily be older , they have done well not have cracked side walls at this age

I don’t think you have any comeback on the seller now, but a politely worded explanation of your surprise at what you have found might be useful

Were you having the tyres checked next week for a specific reason?

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi, sorry to hear about your experience.

Mostly it’s the motorhome community that recommends 5 years, the Michelin tyres I had on mine, had a manufacturer’s recommendation of 10, so rather confusing at times I’m afraid.

That said, get them all checked or replaced so that you feel a lot more confident next time you’re out and good luck.

Hopefully these might be of some use to you.
IMG_2392.jpeg
IMG_2390.jpeg
IMG_2391.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, there is no "legal rule' about replacing tyres. Tread depth and general condition are the only legal aspects. IMO, I doubt you have any valid claim against the seller.

Many motorhome owners like to think about changing their tyres when they reach 5 years old, but plenty run them longer. You say checked/replaced. When checking, even if they looked brand new with no cracking and plenty of tread depth; at 14, I think you've had a lucky escape. I would still replace them ASAP (y).

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
My moho tyres passed several MOT's before I found out they were 11 years old. It was the cracking on the sidewall that made me decide to change them.
It surprises me that the age of the tyre is not even mentioned as an advisory on MOT tests.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Only by reading forms on here, I was not aware about 5 year rule to replace tyres. Surely a depot selling motorhomes should be doing these checks. Am I within my rights to make a complaint to motorhome depot, now called Rove, as I put my trust in them when I purchased from them?

I think it's a case of doing your home work and at least your experience may highlight to others why it is so necessary to ensure your tyres are appropriate. Tyres on Motorhomes are often more stressed as they carry weight whilst sat at home or in storage and often sat for long periods in sun etc.

Being as Motorhome Depot are a broker and not the seller, I am unsure what recourse you would have with them other than them taking on board your comments to ensure they take more care.
The fact though is as stated already. Age in a tyre doesn't make it illegal, only condition and wear.

hope you get it sorted and back on the road, and make sure you spread the word.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
My Continental 4Season’s are coming up to 7 years old and are hardly worn, though a little side wall cracking is evident on the rears that I think I’ve caused by running them a little low.
Regarding the ‘5 year rule’ Continental’s technical department advised 10 years as being the expected life but to pay closer attention to them after 7 years.
The dealer hasn’t broken any rules but has put themselves in a bad light regarding reputation. I would expect a good dealer to have changed them, if not mentioned them at the handover.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Presumably it was motd with those tyres on that suggests that it met the legal requirements in which case I doubt you have any comeback. I think tyres in general are seen as a wear and tear item that you expect to replace rather than anything covered by a warranty. It's a pity you didn't spot it at the time of purchase I suspect that they might well have replaced them as part of the deal maybe you could try contacting them to see if they would make a goodwill gesture.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Regarding the ‘5 year rule’ Continental’s technical department advised 10 years as being the expected life but to pay closer attention to them after 7 years.
Good advice. But, a caveat; I've no problem with keeping them over 7 if I know, or have a good idea of their history. If I know my tyres have not spent whole winters underinflated under heavy motorhomes, then reaching 7 isn't going to worry me too much. (y)

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The German rules are a good guide......7 years advisory and 10 years failure for MOT (Tüv).
From 7-10 years they can reccommend a reduced Max speed.
I wonder what the reduced speed they recommend would be I bet a bit faster than most MH get driven at!

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Not a pleasant experience, I doubt that you bought the motorhome from The Motorhome Depot as they are mostly brokers. I very much doubt you will have any comeback on them.
Personally I would get all tyres changed,
Spread the word about tyre age and get on with my travels.

Upvote 0
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Sorry to hear of your tyre blow out. Tyres are an often over looked part of any vehicle, to quote my motorbike test instructor from many moons ago 'your tyres lad are the only part of the vehicle in contact with the road'. I doubt it's unusual for people to not keep on top of them as I didn't know about the date on side wall either. I'd just change them and move on and tour around with confidence you have new tyres on. On a slight tangent, I had my brake fluid changed yesterday it hadn't been done in 10 years. I have read on line that some countries include a brake fluid test annually.....well I never!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As Jim says no legal requirement to change them on a Motorhome.
It really depends how it's used if the van has been doing 10,000 miles a year and used most weeks they are probably fine for 7 or more years. If it's only done 3 or 4,000 a year and been sitting around a lot best to change at 5 years also best to change at 5 years if you don't know the history.

At 14 years old pretty obvious the van has been sitting around a lot unless that one was the spare.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I had my brake fluid changed yesterday it hadn't been done in 10 years. I have read on line that some countries include a brake fluid test annually.....well I never!
Should be changed every two years really important on heavy vehicles you would have found out the hard way if you had driven over any big mountains, the fluid would have boiled and the brakes faded. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
An MOT CANNOT see inside the wheel rim and the tyre itself. The degradation inside the wheel and tyre (condensation sat in a puddle at the bottom?) can be substantial before any outer cracking occurs. Went to view an RV and all tyres were 18+ years old with a fresh MOT.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just replaced our two rear tyres, the fronts were done 30 months ago. Both the rears had stacks of tread left but were dated 1715. One had surfacing cracking near the rim the other appeared okay. Once removed I carefully checked both. The one with external surface cracking showed no signs of distress internally, the one that appeared okay had signs of early failure at the inner wall / tread interface. You just can't tell what the condition is from looking at a tyre in situ. I too like the German (Tuv) rules.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
An MOT CANNOT see inside the wheel rim and the tyre itself. The degradation inside the wheel and tyre (condensation sat in a puddle at the bottom?) can be substantial before any outer cracking occurs. Went to view an RV and all tyres were 18+ years old with a fresh MOT.
So why isn't tyre age part of the mot test?

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear of your tyre blow out. Tyres are an often over looked part of any vehicle, to quote my motorbike test instructor from many moons ago 'your tyres lad are the only part of the vehicle in contact with the road'. I doubt it's unusual for people to not keep on top of them as I didn't know about the date on side wall either. I'd just change them and move on and tour around with confidence you have new tyres on. On a slight tangent, I had my brake fluid changed yesterday it hadn't been done in 10 years. I have read on line that some countries include a brake fluid test annually.....well I never!
My garage includes a brake and clutch fluid test in the vehicle health check they do each time they see it. It saves unnecessary and expensive intervention and catches any problem early.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I was looking at a pair of commercial van tyres off a motorhome only last week, 2 large ( half a tennis ball) areas of separation on the sidewalls of both of them and still holding air, no apparent impact damage no excessive kerb damage both on the inside of a pair of twins. 5 years old but cheap tyres made you know where.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Should be changed every two years really important on heavy vehicles you would have found out the hard way if you had driven over any big mountains, the fluid would have boiled and the brakes faded. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture.
Hygroscopic!

A mistake I used to make when teaching and discussing PÁG oils.

😀

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Yes that's why I changed it. I looked back through service history which is very precise and can only find one change of brake fluid at 2007 2 years after registration:oops: It's done 42.000mls so probably on second set of pads! So the brake fluid in reality could of had just one complete change and one partial bleed whilst getting first pad change. Wow I have an old invoice for everything, I guess previous owner wasn't very aware of brake fluid changes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
antprice1970
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
So sorry you have had that experience.

You could send a complaint but I would not hold my breath. You have had the motorhome approaching a year, and as owner you are responsible for it's running order and safety.

It's the same thing with buying a car, one of the things you look at is the state and date on the tyres. It's not a rule that they have to be changed, but strongly recommended.

The person doing the handover may have said something, but there is so much else to take in it didn't register.

When was the cambelt last changed would be my next question?
Thank you for your reply. When I bought motorhome the tyres looked, to me, very good.
I made the company put 12 month mot on it and in my opinion these should be an advisory. I appreciate it's up to myself to check the tyre year but I did not know this until I read about it on this forum.
The company did replace cambelt and that's stated on sticker on engine bay.
Anthony.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
antprice1970
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
My Continental 4Season’s are coming up to 7 years old and are hardly worn, though a little side wall cracking is evident on the rears that I think I’ve caused by running them a little low.
The dealer hasn’t broken any rules but has put themselves in a bad light regarding reputation. I would expect a good dealer to have changed them, if not mentioned them at the handover.
I agree, I know it is my down to myself to check the age of tyres. The age stamp was on the inner wall and it was booked in for tyre checks in 7 days time. I just put the argument out there that whilst it bought from a dealer, who should know better that they advice the buyer.
Live and learn I suppose
Anthony

Upvote 0
OP
OP
antprice1970
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
I have found that the date code can often be fitted facing inwards so virtually impossible to see without removing the wheel

Was it MOT’d at the time you bought it, or have you had that done? Was there any advisory about the tyres?

BTW I think the code reads week then year of manufacture, so although still old they are coming up for 12 years old, do they all have the same date code ? Is it possible a spare has been fitted which could easily be older , they have done well not have cracked side walls at this age

I don’t think you have any comeback on the seller now, but a politely worded explanation of your surprise at what you have found might be useful

Were you having the tyres checked next week for a specific reason?
I was getting tyres checked after reading a forum on this group last week with regards to tyre age. I just think it should be within the mot on larger/heavier vehicles that it should be mandatory to advise.
Live and learn
Anthony

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I was getting tyres checked after reading a forum on this group last week with regards to tyre age. I just think it should be within the mot on larger/heavier vehicles that it should be mandatory to advise.
Live and learn
Anthony

I got an advisory on mine for cracked side walls on five year old tyres

I agree it would be useful at MOT and any service that tyre date / age is confirmed 👍

Are all four tyres the same age ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back