12v sockets giving me 240v power (1 Viewer)

Jackthehat

Free Member
Nov 7, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Van conversion A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there, hope someone can help. Got a small problem with the 12v sockets in my recently purchased camper. When hooked up to the mains via the Zig CF9 everything works OK except for the 12v sockets. They're the 240v/12v combination type with the 12v socket in the middle with the aerial and satellite connectors. Having burnt out two 12v devices in as many minutes I'm assuming I'm getting 240v through the sockets instead of 12v. I Haven't checked with a meter but it couldn't be anything else, I'm sure. What I want to know is: is there a step-down transformer built into the Zig reducing 240v to 12v or should the 12v sockets be wired directly to the leisure battery? When I'm not hooked up to the mains nothing comes through the 12v sockets. I'm just curious as to how anyone could have wired this up wrong or if the zig is at fault. Thanks in advance.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Many moons ago our brother I law had a caravan that had a zig and it fried the leisure battery and caused all sorts of problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jackthehat

Free Member
Nov 7, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Van conversion A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I've heard one or two things about the Zigs but considering their widespread use I suppose they'll have their faults here and there. Bit like Ryanair I supose...

Regarding the reverse polarity - do you mean the 12v connections on the Zig or the sockets themselves?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ch
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I've heard one or two things about the Zigs but considering their widespread use I suppose they'll have their faults here and there. Bit like Ryanair I supose...

Regarding the reverse polarity - do you mean the 12v connections on the Zig or the sockets themselves?
check battery connections and wiring
bill

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I think Bill meant your 12v sockets. Mains reverse polarity is another subject altogher and will not cause this type of fault.

It sounds like you need someone competent to check out your entire electrical system. If you have got mains supplied to your 12v sockets this is a very serious and potentially lethal fault.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm wondering, as you don't get 12v through them when not on main, if a previous owner has instead changed them to only supply 240v on mains through the 12v sockets themselves and therefore only have to use 12v plugs ... far, far from ideal, but a possibility!

Reverse polarity would NOT cause this though so that is a red herring.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Mains polarity reversal is irrelevant from an operational point of view and cannot cause damage. However it is essential that the centre pin of the 12v socket is positive (+12v) and that the outer tube is negative (0v).

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Sorry to say this, but chuck the Zig. Mine decided to convert the passenger seat on our Romahome into a fried dinner, whist at the same time blowing the fridge 12 volt panel, giving it a look you would get if you coupled 30,000 volts to it. :mad::mad:

OP
OP
J

Jackthehat

Free Member
Nov 7, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Van conversion A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm wondering, as you don't get 12v through them when not on main, if a previous owner has instead changed them to only supply 240v on mains through the 12v sockets themselves and therefore only have to use 12v plugs ... far, far from ideal, but a possibility!

Reverse polarity would NOT cause this though so that is a red herring.

I thought the same thing. That's why I wondered if the Zig has a step-down transformer from 240v to 12v. If that was faulty that might explain it although I'm not sure the Zig actually does that. To be honest I can't think why it would.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I think Bill meant your 12v sockets. Mains reverse polarity is another subject altogher and will not cause this type of fault.

It sounds like you need someone competent to check out your entire electrical system. If you have got mains supplied to your 12v sockets this is a very serious and potentially lethal fault.
I blew a TV because the 12v was wrong way round he dose not know if he has 230 volts to his 12v as he has not had it checked

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Someone connecting the battery back to front could also screw everything up Bill. Including the charger unit.
I reckon its best to get someone look at it.
Armchair diagnostics arent going to help with a serious defect like this I reckon!

OP
OP
J

Jackthehat

Free Member
Nov 7, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Van conversion A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Someone connecting the battery back to front could also screw everything up Bill. Including the charger unit.
I reckon its best to get someone look at it.
Armchair diagnostics arent going to help with a serious defect like this I reckon!

Interesting point. Does the reverse polarity affect the 12v lighting? I've got LEDs and they're working fine.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Lets stop guessing here, get a voltmeter on the socket. Safely. Carefully.

Naturally set it on a 240V AC range first, then 24V DC.

OP
OP
J

Jackthehat

Free Member
Nov 7, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Van conversion A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just ordered a new multimeter on ebay. No more guessing :LOL: Thanks for all your suggestions.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just ordered a new multimeter on ebay. No more guessing :LOL: Thanks for all your suggestions.

Essential piece of kit. Assuming that you can use it safely, which is not a given especially when 240V is involved. Watch where your fingers end up !

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Interesting point. Does the reverse polarity affect the 12v lighting? I've got LEDs and they're working fine.
They wouldn't work reversed, as I found out when I replaced a 'not working' 12 volt strip with LED. The truck had been wired wrong to that single light. Altered the polarity, the LED worked fine.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
They wouldn't work reversed, as I found out when I replaced a 'not working' 12 volt strip with LED. The truck had been wired wrong to that single light. Altered the polarity, the LED worked fine.

Some LEDs come with their own little rectifier bridge. You can stick em in either way and they will still work!

At least the G4s and MR16s I got from EBay for ours and Shells Mum and Dads van did!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back