Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590 RS
Exp
Newbies
You can get semi flexible or flexible solar panels. I believe that the ones that 'stick on' are not quite as efficient as the panel that has a gap underneath as the gap allows for cooling but there are many Boats and MoHo's out there with these.
Having read up on them, it's not just that they are less efficient, they have a significantly shorter lifespan as I understand it. It's a shame, as there's acres of space on the overcab hump. I could probably get 1000w up there!!
It looks like the roof rack is the ideal place for a decent sized rigid panel. No drilling into the roof, and nice and secure :cool:

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
LED's were one of my first purchases! I was amazed that most of the bulbs were 10w. I can now turn on all my lights, and draw the same power that one did previously! I think the awning bulb was 20w! 😲
I measured up on the roof rack and looks like I could get up to a 150x75cm panel up there, so at least 150w. My cross bars are the same as yours, with the slot currently underneath, but I'll flip them over. Thanks for the photos.
I opened the bathroom skylight, and it pops up higher than the roof rack 😥 so if I do end up with a roof box or kayak etc, I won't be able to open the vent! Not the end of the world though.
This is a very good panel for the size you describe.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi Raul,
this panel looks great value, can you confirm you have bought one and are you happy with the construction?
thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bruchel

Bruchel

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590 RS
Exp
Newbies
Wow. That's a pretty good price and a nice size too. Thanks! (y)
Do you have one of these panels?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I have no connection at all, I know Craig solar is a UK company and they supply high quality panels. A friend of mine had couple of theirs 330w. I had that saved on my list as I plan a mobile two hinged panels. These are high end 19% efficiency and I liked them a lot. Also is hard to come by the odd 148cm panels at high wattage. They are perfect size for van roofs across, without sticking out.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have no connection at all, I know Craig solar is a UK company and they supply high quality panels. A friend of mine had couple of theirs 330w. I had that saved on my list as I plan a mobile two hinged panels. These are high end 19% efficiency and I liked them a lot. Also is hard to come by the odd 148cm panels at high wattage. They are perfect size for van roofs across, without sticking out.
What does the 19% efficiency mean please I don’t understand solar

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
It means, for its size, produces a lot of power compared to other panels of the same size. To reach 18-20% efficiency, the cells and overall panel, has to be high quality in order to produce more for less surface area. Only few manufacturers have exceeded 19% efficiency.

The sun irradiates the earth on average 1000w per square meter. A panel can only convert a percentage of that energy. In this case 19%, and this is the most visible light spectrum. The rest of the infrared and other invisible spectrum, it’s wasted. The solar cells are not capable to capture the hole spectrum, but only a fraction of it. The space industry, uses super duper expensive cells that are 40% efficient.
We are hoping and waiting on perovskites to boost the classic silica cell to 30-33% efficiency, and that’s pretty much our max here on earth, due to the atmosphere. In space could be as high as 60% with some multilayered cell to be capable of capturing almost the hole spectrum of light.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can get semi flexible or flexible solar panels. I believe that the ones that 'stick on' are not quite as efficient as the panel that has a gap underneath as the gap allows for cooling but there are many Boats and MoHo's out there with these.
I would steer clear of them loads of failures after one to two years, also leaves a right mess if you need to remove them.

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I would steer clear of them loads of failures after one to two years, also leaves a right mess if you need to remove them.
Yes, totally gave up on them. Unfortunately, their benefit (flexing to stick closely to curved surfaces) is totally against their achilles heel (need to be mounted several inches above the surface below to avoid melting their soldered connections in the heat).

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Mate had them, lasted 12 months and both broke.

I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.
I don’t understand this my flex panel has been on my van 2 years and works a treat, I am just considering adding to it with one of the panels listed above. Maybe I should consider replacing flex at same time to have matched pair of non flex panels ?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I don’t understand this my flex panel has been on my van 2 years and works a treat, I am just considering adding to it with one of the panels listed above. Maybe I should consider replacing flex at same time to have matched pair of non flex panels ?
I can only go on what I have read and heard from friends. Not sure if you need a quality flexible panel to make it last whereas even cheap rigid panels will do the job?

If they are working as they should I wouldn’t change them.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Flexible panels do work and there are many of them out there. Performance is said to be affected by not allowing airflow underneath but you would have to research this for example at what temperature and by how much. Also all solar panels degrade over time. If you have ones and they do the job why worry

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The flex panels suffer off micro cracking due to excessive flexing. If you had it delivered in rigid box, and made a good job of not to bend it to much, then it will live on for a bit longer. Also depends what cells, silica can bend 30 deg max, the thin film and organic cells can roll up, but, In the end, will get opalescent with the UV exposure. It’s not as resilient as low iron glass, like the rigid frame ones.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The flex panels suffer off micro cracking due to excessive flexing. If you had it delivered in rigid box, and made a good job of not to bend it to much, then it will live on for a bit longer. Also depends what cells, silica can bend 30 deg max, the thin film and organic cells can roll up, but, In the end, will get opalescent with the UV exposure. It’s not as resilient as low iron glass, like the rigid frame ones.
Just check Craig Solars own website ( not EBay) and the same panel is £20 cheaper. The6 d9 say buy direct for better prices. They have a mean 300w panel for £129 that may be my panel of choice soon. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Flexible panels do work and there are many of them out there. Performance is said to be affected by not allowing airflow underneath but you would have to research this for example at what temperature and by how much. Also all solar panels degrade over time. If you have ones and they do the job why worry
In my case, you could see that all the internal connections had disconnected. The cells themselves looked intact in as much as you can tell by looking at them, but the "wiring" was no longer connected to the cells. I assumed that they'd overheated from lack of ventilation during a particularly hot summer's day and desoldered themselves. There didn't seem to be any obvious signs of physical stress. Before this, when they were working, they worked great.

Oct 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway EB
Exp
New
website & ebay price are same when you include shipping

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
In my case, you could see that all the internal connections had disconnected. The cells themselves looked intact in as much as you can tell by looking at them, but the "wiring" was no longer connected to the cells. I assumed that they'd overheated from lack of ventilation during a particularly hot summer's day and desoldered themselves. There didn't seem to be any obvious signs of physical stress. Before this, when they were working, they worked great.
Buss bar delamination due to excessive expansion and poor EVA encapsulation. The worse is hot spot that burns thru the back sheet.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Buss bar delamination due to excessive expansion and poor EVA encapsulation. The worse is hot spot that burns thru the back sheet.
Wow that sounds very painful, hope it doesn’t happen to me or my panel 🤣🤣🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back