1 or 2 Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12V - 30A (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 26, 2022
Mallorca, Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar sport 340
Exp
Benimar sport 340
I'm fitting a Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12V - 30A.

I've just noticed, on the "Specifications", that the Max battery capacity is 300Ah. Would I be better to put a second Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12V - 30A in parallel?

I don't want to damage the single Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12V - 30A by charging 600ah.

"The Blue Smart IP22 chargers can now be configured for synchronised charging using Victron VE Smart Wireless Networking. With this feature, make a 12V 60A, or even higher power charger that is (a) parallel redundant, (b) easy to mount in tight places, and (c) very attractive cost-wise".

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only really a problem if you are constantly charging batteries that have been discharged very low. You are probably only charging the batteries when they are down to 80% maybe 50% most of the time.

In my van Schaudt (Elecktroblock) recommends a second 18 amp charger should be fitted if you fit a second battery. I have 3 batteries and only the standard 18 amp charger, never had any problems. Most of our charging is done from solar anyway.

OP
OP
PeteMallorca
Jun 26, 2022
Mallorca, Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar sport 340
Exp
Benimar sport 340
Only really a problem if you are constantly charging batteries that have been discharged very low. You are probably only charging the batteries when they are down to 80% maybe 50% most of the time.

In my van Schaudt (Elecktroblock) recommends a second 18 amp charger should be fitted if you fit a second battery. I have 3 batteries and only the standard 18 amp charger, never had any problems. Most of our charging is done from solar anyway.
Thanks Lenny.

Yes, it will only be used rarely, if I get the opportunity to plug in somewhere and boost the battery bank. I'm fitting an Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger also, so I've got an emergency backup and extra charging when driving.

I'm almost ready to plan the switches and fuses next. Then, after finding them and getting them here, it will be time to put all the pretty blue stuff in the van. Even the batteries I got are blue šŸ¤£, 3 x ULTIMATRON LiFePO4 12.8V 200Ah.

Thanks again šŸ‘

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I'm fitting a Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12V - 30A.

I've just noticed, on the "Specifications", that the Max battery capacity is 300Ah. Would I be better to put a second Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12V - 30A in parallel?

I don't want to damage the single Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12V - 30A by charging 600ah.

"The Blue Smart IP22 chargers can now be configured for synchronised charging using Victron VE Smart Wireless Networking. With this feature, make a 12V 60A, or even higher power charger that is (a) parallel redundant, (b) easy to mount in tight places, and (c) very attractive cost-wise".

We've had our Victron Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12V - 20A hooked up to our 280aH LifePo4 battery for the past 4 years and it's not coughed or spluttered yet when I have asked it to charge our lithium. As we are nearly always off-grid I saw no point in spending big bucks on a 240v charger that would rarely ever get used.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm fitting an Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger also, so I've got an emergency backup and extra charging when driving.
A bit small for that size battery bank although you can fit two in parallel, have look at the Votronic range but before you fit anything too big make sure you have an uprated alternator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PeteMallorca
Jun 26, 2022
Mallorca, Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar sport 340
Exp
Benimar sport 340
We've had our Victron Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12V - 20A hooked up to our 280aH LifePo4 battery for the past 4 years and it's not coughed or spluttered yet when I have asked it to charge our lithium. As we are nearly always off-grid I saw no point in spending big bucks on a 240v charger that would rarely ever get used.
Thanks Two on Tour.

I am trying to plan everything without external AC supply but while I'm going through a complete replacement of the solar system, I'm trying to add some failsafe options.

I just didn't want to damage the one I've got, as and when I do have to use it.

OP
OP
PeteMallorca
Jun 26, 2022
Mallorca, Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar sport 340
Exp
Benimar sport 340
A bit small for that size battery bank although you can fit two in parallel, have look at the Votronic range but before you fit anything too big make sure you have an uprated alternator.
Thanks Lenny.

I was a little concerned about that. I need to check the alternator but looking at it from above, it looks like a standard alternator.

The existing system is a mess and nothing is working as it should. This is why I'm changing everything.

Im thinking that I can try with the one Orion 12 12 30a that I've got and if it's not enough, I will have to upgrade the alternator and add a second Orion 12 12 30a.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Two on Tour.

I am trying to plan everything without external AC supply but while I'm going through a complete replacement of the solar system, I'm trying to add some failsafe options.

I just didn't want to damage the one I've got, as and when I do have to use it.

I don't get what damage your are likely to do by using just a single 30A charger, all it will do is take longer to recharge your battery bank.

Don't forget that Victron do a 3 output version of the Blue Smart IP22 12V - 30A charger that you could hook up an output to each of your 3 batteries.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks Lenny.

I was a little concerned about that. I need to check the alternator but looking at it from above, it looks like a standard alternator.

The existing system is a mess and nothing is working as it should. This is why I'm changing everything.

Im thinking that I can try with the one Orion 12 12 30a that I've got and if it's not enough, I will have to upgrade the alternator and add a second Orion 12 12 30a.
Standard alternator is either a 90 or 110 amp but a lot of Motorhome converters fit an uprated one I think mine is 160 amp.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back