Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Enjoy your new car Chris, hope you like it the same as us, as we bought a Hyundai Tucson Nline mild hybrid diesel 2 weeks ago and itā€™s very good on fuel consumption and great to drive.

John.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We went electric a year ago, and there is no going back, so smooth, performance is unreal and running costs are peanuts. Rarely need to charge away from home, and so nice always having a "full tank" in the morning, with the car warmed up or cooled down ready to go.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
Is this your car for use when at home or is it also towed behind your moho?? Are you sure you will always be able to charge it when away from home.
Sorry I still have my doubts about leccy cars.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Is this your car for use when at home or is it also towed behind your moho?? Are you sure you will always be able to charge it when away from home.
Sorry I still have my doubts about leccy cars.
It is my company car with private usage.
It will not be towed at all,
A feature of (all) Electric Cars is that they are usually heavy( this is thick end of 2 tonnes

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We went electric a year ago, and there is no going back, so smooth, performance is unreal and running costs are peanuts. Rarely need to charge away from home, and so nice always having a "full tank" in the morning, with the car warmed up or cooled down ready to go.
What do you have?

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
A feature of (all) Electric Cars is that they are usually heavy( this is thick end of 2 tonnes

This is another myth, the eNiro is 2 tonnes, Tesla S 2.2 tonnes
Petrol cars, Volvo S60 1.8 tonnes, BMW 3 series 1.8 tonnes, Kia Niro 1.8 tonnes (Excl fuel)

Heavier? yes, but only 200kg less the weight of petrol.

Enjoy the eNiro, it's currently my EV of choice when I can afford to change. As your finding out, most range concerns are baseless. I had a Tesla S for 2 years as part of a trial, 27k per year, never had a charging issue. Enjoy the new car.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
As your finding out, most range concerns are baseless. I had a Tesla S for 2 years as part of a trial, 27k per year, never had a charging issue. Enjoy the new car.

Agree with this, everyone claims they need a car which can do 500 miles on a charge, yet very few people drive more than 100 miles a day, I have regularly used mine for 300 miles days, and have just needed a 30 minute top up, if i'm driving 300 miles I would need a break anyway, so can charge whilst having a break, 300 miles would cost be Ā£10 max for electric, or about Ā£35-40 for diesel, for the saving, i'll spend a bit of time topping up if i need to.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Agree with this, everyone claims they need a car which can do 500 miles on a charge, yet very few people drive more than 100 miles a day, I have regularly used mine for 300 miles days, and have just needed a 30 minute top up, if i'm driving 300 miles I would need a break anyway, so can charge whilst having a break, 300 miles would cost be Ā£10 max for electric, or about Ā£35-40 for diesel, for the saving, i'll spend a bit of time topping up if i need to.
How long have you left it unused? It would be interesting to know how it got on if left untouched for 3 months if you went on holiday (either plugged in or not).

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
I ordered my eniro on 1st March. Hoping to get it around September/October time in the last batch of MY20. Hope you enjoy it!

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
How do you get and how much for three phase to be installed for the 4+ 11kw charger?

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
How do you get and how much for three phase to be installed for the 4+ 11kw charger?
For a domestic site? If so would it be worth it fitting 3 phase for the gain.?

Supposeit depends on circumstance and what you are trying to achieve

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
For a domestic site? If so would it be worth it fitting 3 phase for the gain.?

Supposeit depends on circumstance and what you are trying to achieve

One could certainly run a bigger lathe... :cool:

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
Mine won't take 11kw, but never found the need, we have off peak for 8 hours which will give the car about 2/3rds charge, never found the need to do back to back long trips. If I did we could just charge the extra on peak.

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
How long have you left it unused? It would be interesting to know how it got on if left untouched for 3 months if you went on holiday (either plugged in or not).
The Tesla S will lose around 1% charge per day if left unplugged, so always advised to leave plugged in. This is caused by the monitoring systems, including the 3G connection back to Tesla HQ to check for updates and feed back systems info. There is a facility to switch this off completely if for example you are parking at an airport for a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Update on performance/range- not a comment on rights or wrongs of Electric cars, just hope some will find informative

This is as scientific as I have managed so far
Started with car fully charged

Driving was ā€œsensibleā€ and all mixed Urban/A road/Motorway

Drove until dash indicated 50% charge left, and stopped and charged to full
32kw ( so the 64kw battery on the car appears fully usable-as claimed)
I had covered 134 miles

I repeated this procedure twice over the next few days, ā€œfillingā€ the battery with 32kw and 33kw respectively
and covered 135 and 137 miles respectively
A total usage of 97kw and 406 miles or 4.185 miles per kw
( refreshingly/surprisingly the Dash display shows my average consumption as 4.2 miles per kw)šŸ‘šŸ‘

So my real, single charge range appears to be 268 miles
At 14p per kw ( workplace charger) thats just shy of 30 miles for Ā£1

I believe that as I learn the nuances of the driver adjustable KERS system I could get more range
(conversely if I take advantage of the available performance I will get less)

Hooe this is of interest

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
That's pretty good, my ipace only gets about 3 miles per kW.

Can you charge at home? If so you need to get an ev tariff, we are with EDF and only pay 8p per kW for 10 hours each night.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
That's pretty good, my ipace only gets about 3 miles per kW.

Can you charge at home? If so you need to get an ev tariff, we are with EDF and only pay 8p per kW for 10 hours each night.
Hi Thanks for info
I am ā€resistingā€ charging at home
I am fortunate that we have multiple depots in NWest but I live just 6 miles from my base, where I can charge at workā€™s expense šŸ‘
Working just Tues/Wed/Thurs if I get my charging regime sorted for a Thursday, i can have it full for my long weekendsšŸ˜„

The upshot of the results above is that my range anxiety has not taken long to evaporate

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Please keep us informed as to how you get on, interesting so far. We have considered but rejected an EV given our fairly remote rural location. Also, one of our sons lives in France and it's an 800 mile trip. He is certainly going EV with his next car as he lives in a city but just laughed when I said I was thinking of one. He's a Physicist so understands everything about them and he's usually right, smart bugger is that one!

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
I believe that as I learn the nuances of the driver adjustable KERS system I could get more range
(conversely if I take advantage of the available performance I will get less)

I have had a Renault Zoe for 5 years (and love it), yes you will definitely modify the way you drive, coasting up to junctions and roundabouts etc, and finding the best places on regularly used roads to top up the battery a bit with KERS. The best one I have is when travelling to Falmouth, if I leave the main road onto a B road, there is a brilliant long hill which can be coasted down at 50 to 60 mph, recovering over 2 miles for free :giggle:. Simple things please me including free miles!!

Enjoy the car, I am sure you will. I have never regretted getting rid of my diesel hatchback (still have the MH though) because as noted in the thread above, most drivers do very few miles each day.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Finally my Kia e Niro, fully electric car has arrived after almost 10 months wait
So far so good, lovely and smooth AND very fast when pressed

First full charge and the car is predicting 291 miles to my 64kw battery charge

I will have to Wait and see
šŸ‘

You talking to me?

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
I've just taken the plunge and ordered a full EV company car, I'm looking forward to the tax saving and the smiles per mile. Yours is an interesting thread. I think more and more people will head down the PHEV or EV over the next few years.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I have had a Renault Zoe for 5 years (and love it), yes you will definitely modify the way you drive, coasting up to junctions and roundabouts etc, and finding the best places on regularly used roads to top up the battery a bit with KERS. The best one I have is when travelling to Falmouth, if I leave the main road onto a B road, there is a brilliant long hill which can be coasted down at 50 to 60 mph, recovering over 2 miles for free :giggle:. Simple things please me including free miles!!

Enjoy the car, I am sure you will. I have never regretted getting rid of my diesel hatchback (still have the MH though) because as noted in the thread above, most drivers do very few miles each day.
Have you tested the new Zoe.?
I was super impressed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back