Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to post some really great travelling options! :D

Edit: is there a way to print a thread?

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to post some really great travelling options! :D

Edit: is there a way to print a thread?
If you go to "file" on your browser you can save as pdf and then just leave it on your desktop or phone or you could print all the pages, if you are on a Mac save it to iBooks and read it on any connected device(y)

Martin

EDIT you will need to save each page to get the full thread,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks Martin - much appreciated!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Given the current state of affairs I do not want to be associated with any comments on Germany
For fear of arrest and or imprisonment

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
My Favourite route south through Germany is to pick up the E40/42 in Dunkirk to Aachen via Charleroi. Turn off at Junction 2 just as it enters Germany and head directly south to Monschau a town unchanged since a 1700. Then south again to the Mosel at Cochem. Tour the Mosel to Boppard and a ferry across the Rhine. For me there is not much to see on the Rhine so either side will do. There are ferries at various spots down to the south. South to Rüdesheim am Rheine and then I would head for Lindau on the Bodensee. You’re now in my favourite part of Germany, Bavaria and the Tyrol into Austria. There are many place to stop anywhere in Germany and plenty of Stellplatz if needs be. I would strongly recommend Mittenwald for a few days. You are next to the railway station and ticket to Garmisch are very cheap. At Garmisch station there is mountain railway to the highest Beer Keller in the world.

Other popular visits are a lap of the old Nurburgring circuit and the science museums at Technik Museum Speyer and Sinsheim

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

I also have a list of wild camping sites if you want to PM me.
We have travelled the same route some years ago.
We loved Garmisch, took the rickety cable car upto a lovely hotel with beautiful views over the mountains, had a beer then came back down.
Beautiful part's of Germany

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
took the rickety cable car upto a lovely hotel with beautiful views over the mountains,

When we went up all you see were the skiers making their way to the next lift.
It was so foggy we saw nothing - except a BMW 4x4 on a plinth, god knows how they got that up there.
Had a beer and a Bratwurst

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Mosel a good starting point
But its a big country
My recommendation for a look that doesn't get mentioned much
https://www.pfalzblick.de/en/the-palatinate-alsace-regions/hiking/
We will be heading there as part of this years trip
Where else we go will depend on weather
We were in Titasee last year nice but think Lake District with Cuckoo Clocks instead of Roger Rabbit a bit to touristy for us :(

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
One thing we have noticed with Germany
Unless you are on the Mosel or Rhine you are not going to come across many uk travelers.
I don't know if it was because we travel in September but on the sites we stopped on last year we seen four uk plated vans and one caravan in two weeks
Not moaning or rejoicing just surprised we don't come across more
Germany Austria and the Dolomites are the places I would choose to spend much more time if it were possible.
I really need to retire
We are off to Austria shortly but without the van:)

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
This is turning into a useful thread as we're hoping to head over later in the year :)
Same here,so really enjoying all the input and the original post, thanks.
We can only get away from mid August till beginning of September because of childcare,
bless um. Hopefully we can find a spot or two.
Ray

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
Hi - Having toured France several times we decided to give Germany a whirl last April/May having visited the bulb fields in Holland. We spent six nights there heading south from Holland to Austria. Not very impressed overall with scenery north of Bavaria - tho rivers are OK. Some lovely old towns on the Romantic Strasse - all served by Stellplatz (most charge but generally not a lot). All dog friendly. The Residence at Wursburg is worth a visit (nice Stellplatz on river). Schloss Neuschwanstein is amazing but very busy - wall to wall tourists with selfie sticks. May be worth booking your tour in advance - or at very least arrive early in morning. Tours every 5 mins but only a few are in English. Good parking for MHs (but no overnight allowed). Near there is the extraordinary Wies Kirche (white church). One of finest churches we've ever seen. In that area is a nice ACSI site at Rottenbuch - pretty village with lovely church in similar style to Wies Kirche. Benedictine Abbey at Ettal is beautiful and Oberammergau is lovely with amazing trompe l'oeil facades; free car park there next to river. Think overnight was allowed but we headed on to Wank (!) near Garmisch P. On an earlier hols we'd visited the falls at Schaffhausen - stunning but don't overnight there - it costs a fortune. We bought a German dictionary after failing to realise the overnight charge was £38!! Our most expensive night in the MH ever! Have fun!!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
As far as dogs are concerned, Germany is probably the most dog friendly country I know, they’re pretty much allowed everywhere including bars and restaurants, public transport etc so don’t let that restrict you!

Bavaria is my favourite and will be back there in a few months. Lovely country.
Another vote for Bavaria. If you go to the Berchesgaden area you MUST take the Jennerbahn cable car ( check it's open). Also a visit to the Eagles Nest recommended. We stayed at the moho site at the nice spa town bad reichenhall and got the subsidised bus everywhere including to Salzberg.
9.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
My Favourite route south through Germany is to pick up the E40/42 in Dunkirk to Aachen via Charleroi. Turn off at Junction 2 just as it enters Germany and head directly south to Monschau a town unchanged since a 1700. Then south again to the Mosel at Cochem. Tour the Mosel to Boppard and a ferry across the Rhine. For me there is not much to see on the Rhine so either side will do. There are ferries at various spots down to the south. South to Rüdesheim am Rheine and then I would head for Lindau on the Bodensee. You’re now in my favourite part of Germany, Bavaria and the Tyrol into Austria. There are many place to stop anywhere in Germany and plenty of Stellplatz if needs be. I would strongly recommend Mittenwald for a few days. You are next to the railway station and ticket to Garmisch are very cheap. At Garmisch station there is mountain railway to the highest Beer Keller in the world.

Other popular visits are a lap of the old Nurburgring circuit and the science museums at Technik Museum Speyer and Sinsheim

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

I also have a list of wild camping sites if you want to PM me.
Also worth noting are visits to BMW and Merc museums which include tours around the factories.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
In August we are off for another trip to Bodensee ( aka Lake Constance). We will probably stay on the stellplatz at Meersburg again, all very pleasant and an easy walk down to the 46 mile long lake.

Meersburg is about 550 miles from Calais so easily doable with only a couple of stops. Talking of stops, we stayed on the stellplatz at Geisingen which was great.

Have a good trip.

Paul

May 2, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europea 69+ Silver
Exp
3 years
Can I ask for trip ideas please?

We’re planning a trip of six weeks to Germany in April/May - neither of us has been there before. We don’t tend to go to towns or visit tourist attractions as such because of our dog. We enjoy walking in remote places.

Can anyone recommend a route or areas to explore along with any hints or tips?

Thanks muchly :)
You could be my brother, My kind of trips, on 2 wheels especially, havn’t done the N258 for a while now, but will be later this year.
You
Can I ask for trip ideas please?

We’re planning a trip of six weeks to Germany in April/May - neither of us has been there before. We don’t tend to go to towns or visit tourist attractions as such because of our dog. We enjoy walking in remote places.

Can anyone recommend a route or areas to explore along with any hints or tips?

Thanks muchly :)
The Moselle is absolutely beautiful. The Romantic Road is also a must

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Yep we did the BMW tour and watched 3 series body's being built 95% by robots. Amazing but a bit spooky at times.
I also visited the VW plant in Dresden, housed in a huge glass building in the middle of the city. Definately a case of the Germans showing off that one, by putting it there in the first place..... a logistical nightmare to keep it running efficiently.o_O

Aug 18, 2014
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to reply late. We are planning to do some well trodden routes in Germany if the weather is good. We are going in late May to the end of July which is a late start for us but we have a family wedding to attend. Two years ago we did a little of the Moselle Valley and then drove to Freiburg. The weather turned really cold and wet so we ended up quite quickly going via Switzerland to i Italy which was warm and lovely. So we are planning to go to the Bodensee, slowly, and then back up to the Romantic Road then across to the Rhine in Flames in Rudesheim in July. Then its all by ear. Maybe the Moselle valley. I do tend to plan in detail with extracts from other peoples comments and experiences written down as my brain is soggy. If it would be of help I can email a copy of our plans for you to look at.
Mike

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hello Mike. Thanks for your offer to email a copy of your travel plan... yes please, that would be great!

I’ll pm you with my email

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
- stunning but don't overnight there - it costs a fortune. We bought a German dictionary after failing to realise the overnight charge was £38!! Our most expensive night in the MH ever!

Sorry for the late reply, but I just joined MHF.
I am an ex-pat Brit living in Germany for 40 years.
I live on Lake Constance just 40 km from the Rhine falls at Schaffhausen.
Yes the price to stay overnight on the north side of the Rhine shot up last year.
If you had crossed to the other side, you could have stayed one night for free.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry for the late reply, but I just joined MHF.
I am an ex-pat Brit living in Germany for 40 years.
I live on Lake Constance just 40 km from the Rhine falls at Schaffhausen.
Yes the price to stay overnight on the north side of the Rhine shot up last year.
If you had crossed to the other side, you could have stayed one night for free.
Hi Devra welcome to the forum :D
Do you have a link to the place you mention across the river? We're planning on staying at the Stellplatz in Lottsetten and cycling to see the falls - but if there's somewhere closer then that'd be great (y)

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
150621_028.JPG
Hi DM23.
Yes Lottstetten is a good place to stay. It is free, has EHU, near shops and about 7 km to the falls with the bike.
It also has the advantage of being in Germany which means cheaper prices at the shops.

The place I mentioned is on the south side of the Rhine, about 500m from Schloss Laufen in Switzerland.
It is free but there is no EHU, or anything else apart from the parking.
Coordinates are N47° 40.40999' , E8° 37.19999'

Main advantage is that from Schloss Laufen there are steps leading down, only meters away from the crashing waterfall, with several viewing platforms.

Last edited:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Another late comer to this post but add my vote for Bodensee (Constance) and Frieburg. Just spent a couple of days in Wiel der Stadt, not much on paper but like so many German towns a delight.
Would also stress the need for you emissions sticker if you haven't already got one, easy to think you never go into towns and cities but some good sites and stellplatz in town centres.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back