May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Can I ask for trip ideas please?

We’re planning a trip of six weeks to Germany in April/May - neither of us has been there before. We don’t tend to go to towns or visit tourist attractions as such because of our dog. We enjoy walking in remote places.

Can anyone recommend a route or areas to explore along with any hints or tips?

Thanks muchly :)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
As far as dogs are concerned, Germany is probably the most dog friendly country I know, they’re pretty much allowed everywhere including bars and restaurants, public transport etc so don’t let that restrict you!

Bavaria is my favourite and will be back there in a few months. Lovely country.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Which ferry are you taking or are you tunnelling?

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
As a first trip , then second vote for Bavaria (Bayern) , Look up Romantische Strasse , and also Black forest . You are not going to really experience Germany if you avoid towns etc , no problem with a dog .

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
As far as dogs are concerned, Germany is probably the most dog friendly country I know, they’re pretty much allowed everywhere including bars and restaurants, public transport etc so don’t let that restrict you!

I didn't know that dogs were welcomed - its good to know that they are... thanks for info!

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Having tented and caravanned in France for 30 odd years we changed to a MH and decided to go on a trip to Germany which involved going to see some friends in Bavaria and then some other friends in Cloppenburg
via the Romantic road.Fantastic place for MHs and dogs.Like you we chose isolated places like this:)

Wald Allgau near Marktoberdorf
20150624_184741.jpg

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997

Us too

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Hartz Mountains. Baltic Coast. Alpinestrasse. Black Forest. Eiffel Forest? Superb country for touring. Back yet again this year. :)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
My Favourite route south through Germany is to pick up the E40/42 in Dunkirk to Aachen via Charleroi. Turn off at Junction 2 just as it enters Germany and head directly south to Monschau a town unchanged since a 1700. Then south again to the Mosel at Cochem. Tour the Mosel to Boppard and a ferry across the Rhine. For me there is not much to see on the Rhine so either side will do. There are ferries at various spots down to the south. South to Rüdesheim am Rheine and then I would head for Lindau on the Bodensee. You’re now in my favourite part of Germany, Bavaria and the Tyrol into Austria. There are many place to stop anywhere in Germany and plenty of Stellplatz if needs be. I would strongly recommend Mittenwald for a few days. You are next to the railway station and ticket to Garmisch are very cheap. At Garmisch station there is mountain railway to the highest Beer Keller in the world.

Other popular visits are a lap of the old Nurburgring circuit and the science museums at Technik Museum Speyer and Sinsheim

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

I also have a list of wild camping sites if you want to PM me.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Ha Ha!!

It would take longer than I have to get across the channel with that thing! :LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Indeed Monschau is a nice spot, a small old town that is a short walk from the stellplatz but plenty of walking in the wooded valleys as well, while you are heading that direction it would be rude not to go and stop on the N+B factory stellplatz and have a look in the Concorde dealer over the road.

Martin

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, that's partly why we've decided on Germany. We're going to the Concorde Owners' do in May. May just have a sneaky look across the road as well !! :D2

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, that's partly why we've decided on Germany. We're going to the Concorde Owners' do in May. May just have a sneaky look across the road as well !! :D2
We are going to be stopping at Morelo as we would not be welcome at Concorde:LOL: with our N+B, will have a look at Concorde while we are there though and try to catch up with you, hopefully they will let us on an english speaking factory tour, and of course Phoenix are next door(y);)

The N+B factory stellplatz is at Polch near to Koblenz and handy for the Rhine and Mosel, about 200 miles from Concorde factory but on the way.

Martin

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We are going to be stopping at Morelo as we would not be welcome at Concorde:LOL: with our N+B, will have a look at Concorde while we are there though and try to catch up with you, hopefully they will let us on an english speaking factory tour, and of course Phoenix are next door(y);)

The N+B factory stellplatz is at Polch near to Koblenz and handy for the Rhine and Mosel, about 200 miles from Concorde factory but on the way.

Martin
Thanks for that - think we might try and fit in a visit to the N+B factory (y)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
My Favourite route south through Germany is to pick up the E40/42 in Dunkirk to Aachen via Charleroi. Turn off at Junction 2 just as it enters Germany and head directly south to Monschau a town unchanged since a 1700. Then south again to the Mosel at Cochem. Tour the Mosel to Boppard and a ferry across the Rhine. For me there is not much to see on the Rhine so either side will do. There are ferries at various spots down to the south. South to Rüdesheim am Rheine and then I would head for Lindau on the Bodensee. You’re now in my favourite part of Germany, Bavaria and the Tyrol into Austria. There are many place to stop anywhere in Germany and plenty of Stellplatz if needs be. I would strongly recommend Mittenwald for a few days. You are next to the railway station and ticket to Garmisch are very cheap. At Garmisch station there is mountain railway to the highest Beer Keller in the world.

Other popular visits are a lap of the old Nurburgring circuit and the science museums at Technik Museum Speyer and Sinsheim

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

I also have a list of wild camping sites if you want to PM me.

You could be my brother, My kind of trips, on 2 wheels especially, havn’t done the N258 for a while now, but will be later this year.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We enjoyed the Kinzig valley with the little towns of Stiltach and Hausach.
Good off road cycle path along the valley and you can (as we did) cycle in a generally downhill direct and get the local train back. Campsite gave us a free pass for the train. Ok to take cycles on and I am sure a dog.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
We enjoyed the Kinzig valley with the little towns of Stiltach and Hausach.
Good off road cycle path along the valley and you can (as we did) cycle in a generally downhill direct and get the local train back. Campsite gave us a free pass for the train. Ok to take cycles on and I am sure a dog.
We did the same last June, a lovely area of the Black Forest. Plenty of dogs travelling on the train and welcomed in bars etc.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We don’t tend to go to towns or visit tourist attractions

Big mistake in Germany. The small towns are a delight with their painted buildings.

Off the top of my head - Lille, Namur to go toll free. Luxembourg for cheap fuel. Now aim for Trier and the Moselle. Wander along the Moselle, dozens of camping/stellplatze. Hit the Rhein at Koblenz and look around, take the cable car for good views. Wander S along the Rhein, look at Boppard, stop in St Goar for a few days right on the river, wonderful town. Next stop Rudesheim, good campsite on river, mega cute tourist trap. Then aim for the Rhein Falls. Schaffhausen, on the Swiss boarder. What a sight. Stellplatz on the Swiss side. Finally Fussen with Germany's number one tourist attract which you won't visit, you loss but a mega pretty town and a fantastic campsite by the lake.

This is the end of the Romanic Road which is plain black tarmac and as romantic as a kiss from your toothless grandmother.

Now head north, but we don't we head for Italy.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Finally Fussen with Germany's number one tourist attract which you won't visit, you loss but a mega pretty town and a fantastic campsite by the lake.
And the opportunity to visit many of The Great Escape locations (y)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We also did it for many years on the motorbikes, staying in hotel as we went. Brilliant trips, Germans are motorbike mad.
Us too, except we mostly used Zimmer Frei, and the occasional hotel, never booked anything in advance, just wandered as we felt like it. Sometimes we never even knew what country we were heading for. Never got treated like second class citizens either, like we did sometimes in this country.Great times.!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I first went over in'63 student exchange Donauworth , and then back again for two years same craic :)
First touring in '68 with a landrover camper, you could pull up pretty much anywhere and camp in woods , on farms . you rarely saw another Brit, vehicle . But more and more restrictions , like everywhere. Germany is very German tho , they do much to preserve that , and still very anglophile so much to see ,and I still enjoy every visit. JMHO .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm a bit late on this thread. In reply to the question in the title it depends which way you are heading. If going east I suggest, based on historical precedence, you go via Poland. If heading west through the Low Countries then down into France. :)

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'm a bit late on this thread. In reply to the question in the title it depends which way you are heading. If going east I suggest, based on historical precedence, you go via Poland. If heading west through the Low Countries then down into France. :)

That plan didn’t end well though did it?!! :D:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back