4 Way Gas Manifold (1 Viewer)

Ashypants

Free Member
Jan 25, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
We picked up our new to us Motorhome on Saturday - started having a ‘play’ with everything on Sunday; I fiddled with the 4 way gas manifold under the sink, to get a feeling of what the on / off position looks like - however I can’t turn the gas to the oven back on!! When I turn the red plastic knob it moves in to the horizontal position but becomes very wobbly like it has spun off its shaft, if I move it back vertical is goes back rigid. It is a Truma 4 Way Manifold - before I go about getting it replaced does anyone have any tips for either removing the plastic knob or if vice grips may help to turn it to the on position - I would still obviously get it replaced.

Thanks,

Ash

OP
OP
Ashypants

Ashypants

Free Member
Jan 25, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
All the others have returned to in position - the manifold is mounted vertically - so on it the switches horizontally. I suspect whatever socket the knob sits in is rounded off in the plastic. I’m thinking brute force to squeeze it and turn it - but don’t want to do anymore damage.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sorry, can't advise on freeing it up.. just advice if buying..

I bought a 4 way to replace a 3 way to add a BBQ point, then discovered I bought the wrong size.. I sold it on ebay.

When ordering, be aware there are two different gas inlet pipe sizes, 8 mm and 10 mm.. hard to tell the difference just looking.

they are not easy to source and quite expensive.

The pipe nuts will be extremely tight, they are not conventional copper olives but a stepped olive, specific to the Truma fittings .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ashypants

Ashypants

Free Member
Jan 25, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
Sorry, can't advise on freeing it up.. just advice if buying..

I bought a 4 way to replace a 3 way to add a BBQ point, then discovered I bought the wrong size.. I sold it on ebay.

When ordering, be aware there are two different gas inlet pipe sizes, 8 mm and 10 mm.. hard to tell the difference just looking.

they are not easy to source and quite expensive.

The pipe nuts will be extremely tight, they are not conventional copper olives but a stepped olive, specific to the Truma fittings .

8mm ones seems easy to get hold of - £46 from Leisureshopdirect.com - would an in-line 10mm to 8mm converter be ok to use ??

I think I’m going to try opening it with a set of pliers first and if needs be break the plastic knob off...a weekend job while we are out getting ‘used’ to it :)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
8mm ones seems easy to get hold of - £46 from Leisureshopdirect.com - would an in-line 10mm to 8mm converter be ok to use ??

I think I’m going to try opening it with a set of pliers first and if needs be break the plastic knob off...a weekend job while we are out getting ‘used’ to it :)

In theory yes, but in practice it's another pipe fitting with two more potential places to leak.. it may also be difficult to fit it..

the knob should pull off, and if you exercise the valve and use some penetrating oil may free it off.. if you remove the manifold it would be easier to work on ..

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
If it ain't broke ,gas flows and didn't leak .......don't mend it .simple little jobs could be costly imo
Each van have there own little quirks (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
You could try to remove any one of the other knobs, likely to simply be a straight pull off the shaft. One of them is likely to be readily removed. This would then show you how the knobs are held on. I suspect a round shaft with a flat face in one part. If you are already resigned to replacing the whole manifold, then you have nothing to lose by removing the other knobs. Having got one off, you would then be better able to remove the problem one and then mend or glue it back on.
David

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ashypants

Ashypants

Free Member
Jan 25, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
You could try to remove any one of the other knobs, likely to simply be a straight pull off the shaft. One of them is likely to be readily removed. This would then show you how the knobs are held on. I suspect a round shaft with a flat face in one part. If you are already resigned to replacing the whole manifold, then you have nothing to lose by removing the other knobs. Having got one off, you would then be better able to remove the problem one and then mend or glue it back on.
David

Cheers - given the oven one is obviously dodgy, I think I’m just going to try and get that knob off, if a tight squeeze and twist with pliers doesn’t solve it. If I can get it working I’ll leave the manifold till next havent/gas check and get it replaced then.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back