Private pitch? (1 Viewer)

Wallylouis

Free Member
Nov 25, 2017
Funster No
Hi gang,
My partner and I have just finished finished up 6 months of travelling and are planning on living in our motorhome for 6 months while we work.

Unfortunately the local caravan parks are quite expensive (almost on par with renting) so we where hoping to get a private arrangement. Is there specific website or app people use for this? We are in the UK, specifically Crawley and Haywood Heath area.

I've checked all seasonal pitches are taken :(

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The Caravan & Motorhome Club and Camping & Caravanning Club have a network of small minimal facility sites (maximum of 5 units) run by private land owners. Expect to pay around £10 per night but long-stay is probably negotiable.

I assume the van will be your only means of transport and it will be necessary to move it every day in order to get to work (it also helps keep the batteries recharged). In which case, it may be possible to wildcamp.

I've seen the odd MH parked overnight in a disused section of road on the B2028 between Turners Hill and Ardingly just south of The Gardeners Arms pub.

Alternatively, check out BritStops a network of overnight stopping places attached to pubs, although you are expected to spend money in the pub.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Only one I can find with services

Flying Bull Inn
ASN.svg
Authorised motorhome service point and night stop
Liss, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom, GU33 7JB
51.043994, -0.85477
N51° 2.64' W0° 51.286'
User denied Geolocation
http://www.theflyingbull.com
info@theflyingbull.com
+44 (0)1730 892285
Open from Jan to Dec
Motorcaravanners club night stop, non members welcome
Camping is located in a peaceful field to the rear of the pub. The field is well drained and can be used all year. We have running water and waste disposal point and campers are welcome to use the pub toilets.
£5 night

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Wallylouis, I would be looking at the range of CLs with the CAMC and CSs with the C&CC, (membership would be required).

Like @Wagoneer suggests, they are small 5 x van sites. The rules allow you to stay up to 28 x days at a time. You could move from one to another after the maximum stay, then back again, or move off for a day or two, then return.

You may be lucky enough to find a CL/CS owner who might draw a blind eye to the 28 day rule, especially if their site is quite secluded. ;)

Good luck,

Jock. :)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
@Wallylouis, I would be looking at the range of CLs with the CAMC and CSs with the C&CC, (membership would be required).

Like @Wagoneer suggests, they are small 5 x van sites. The rules allow you to stay up to 28 x days at a time. You could move from one to another after the maximum stay, then back again, or move off for a day or two, then return.

You may be lucky enough to find a CL/CS owner who might draw a blind eye to the 28 day rule, especially if their site is quite secluded. ;)

Good luck,

That worked for us Jock.

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Is the plan to live as cheaply as possible to be able to go traveling again after?

I always say if the missis kicks me out ever for good id just live in the motorhome and go all minimalist and live as cheaply as possible.

And id free camp most of the time.... Not that I have thought much about this :xwink: But work days would be in the staff car park for free. Then days off either bumming on a mates drive if I was having a night out with them or by the coast for a night on a paid pitch to enjoy the view and have a proper refill/empty of all services and clean clothes etc once a week then the rest of the time just a nice country setting or country pub carpark in exchange for buying a few beers and a dinner there.

Huge saving on campsites and good old council tax :xThumb:

Suppose some of it depends how safe you feel wild camping in the UK and how cheeky you like to be with where you park.... Personally its taxed and tested so anywhere I choose would do so long as your not taking the p***

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
And id free camp most of the time.... Not that I have thought much about this :xwink: But work days would be in the staff car park for free. Then days off either bumming on a mates drive if I was having a night out with them or by the coast for a night on a paid pitch to enjoy the view and have a proper refill/empty of all services and clean clothes etc once a week then the rest of the time just a nice country setting or country pub carpark in exchange for buying a few beers and a dinner there.
Sounds to like you given it a lot of thought ! Must be honest, me too

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Is the plan to live as cheaply as possible to be able to go traveling again after?

I always say if the missis kicks me out ever for good id just live in the motorhome and go all minimalist and live as cheaply as possible.

Huge saving on campsites and good old council tax :xThumb:

Suppose some of it depends how safe you feel wild camping in the UK and how cheeky you like to be with where you park.... Personally its taxed and tested so anywhere I choose would do so long as your not taking the p***
Sounds to like you given it a lot of thought ! Must be honest, me too
And me, but I'm not sure how long it would be, before the novety for me wore off.

Cheers,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back