Bailey recall - is this common with motorhomes? (1 Viewer)

Mrs.Mallard

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Just hoping
Exp
No experience
Hi there
Am just about to pick up my 2016 Bailey advance 635 on the weekend, but dealer has rung to say Bailey has recalled it and others in a batch and it needs to go back to factory in October for approx. 6 weeks. He doesn't know what the problem is. Just rang Bailey who advised e mail customer services which may take a while to get back.
Are recalls a common problem with MHs it's my first one.
Starting to get cold feet :(
Any advice? Thanks

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How many baileys are there going to be out there with twisted roofs , seems a good make to keep clear of for quite a while.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
they have offered me a deal on a new van
:smiley:

Make sure it's a very very good deal because instead of someone else taking The Big Hit putting a new van on the road you will be.

We were mighty impressed by the layout in some Bailey vans we saw at a show, very light spacious layout.

Maybe plan B - keep the van you ordered with a seriously good free warranty plan. Lets face it, rebuilt by the factory for a known fault could make for the best built Bailey ever.

Upvote 0

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
I don't disagree with the consensus that the OP should walk away from this one, but just in the interest of presenting some "balance" to this thread, we owned an Auto Trail (from new) for seven years and she was as good as gold, no problems, sailed through every habitation check and we enjoyed the whole experience in particular the layout with island bed and spacious living area. Our friends have owned a Bailey for almost three years and likewise have had no issues whatever and love what they have. Two years ago we "moved up" to a much more expensive (new) continental which caused us no end of build quality issues including ultimately, damp. Needless to say we have now ditched it and moved to a different manufacturer.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have two friends who have/had Baileys. Both of them relate tales of woe and dreadful service. One of them had their mh disappear into Baileys factory for months for damp work and when eventually it came back they had forgotten to run the wires to the rear lights. There would appear to be little quality control in either their manufacturing or their repairs.

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Well done for cancelling,Now sit back take a breath and start again looking not to say you have to use the same dealer .They may have done you a big favour ,but there are plenty of great vans out there ,put it down to a learning curve .Good luck and hope you find another soon.

Upvote 0

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
@John Stanton , I've noticed that you have dropped a few 'little teasers' about your experience with your Hymer. I'm thoroughly intrigued. When are you going to tell us more?:)
We're trying to move on from the whole sorry affair as it cost us dearly both financially and in terms of time driving up and down to the dealer. I just get slightly perturbed when messages are posted suggesting certain brands don't have issues :(. One day maybe I'll detail everything behind our disappointment but doubtless I'll be branded a heretic for daring to do so. Let's hope the replacement doesn't disappoint :).

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Everybody to their own!
We have Bailey 625 and absolutely love it, no issues at all, this sounds like a one off problem.
Iv heard many sad stories of all makes no matter what so it's just pot luck most of the time but yes new roof this early I would walk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Sharon John say they have heard many sad stories of all makes. Very true but what makes a difference is how competently and promptly the manufacturer deals with the issues, and how much support you get from the dealer.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our first MH (CI) was subject to a recall over water ingress in the roof. We had it fixed once at the factory on recall, and a second time with the dealership under extended warranty, which more than paid for itself as the work was estimated in thousands. However it wasn't until a local mobile fitter sorted it for £100 cash that the problem went away for good.

Current MH (Bessacarr/Swift) had a known rattling skylight issue which has been around in some of their models for a couple of years, and if you notice it they'll fix it under warranty - it took about half a day to sort out. You might have thought it would be fixed during manufacture by now, but apparently they prefer to wait to see if it happens.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Taking to a guy a few weeks ago, just picked up a brand new one and after the handover and before he drove it away they booked him in to have rectification work done on the rear floor, much simpler if they got it right when it was built !!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back