TonyP

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I just looked at a web site for pub stopovers currently got 165 overnight pubs signed up 75 able to take RV's over 12mtrs throughout England/Scotland & Wales, membership fee £30 per annum with free stop over. As site says they are just stop overs but from what i could see is there is good food & beer available at each stop. its worth a look. Welcome to The Motorhome Stopover
:Smile:Tony & Sue:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I spoke to Kevin on Saturday at Peterboro, he said the website had gone live that day. I have a feeling it will be a great success, and at £30 its very good value especially with the free first night, Great for breaking long journeys, I will definitely join the scheme. Full timers could save hundreds of £ a month, in fees, but will probably have to budget fo more on beer, pie and elasticated waist trousers::bigsmile:

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
What a great idea!

Many thanks, we will certainly be signing up

Jan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
£30 is still quite a lot of money, it'll buy at least a gallon of diesel:ROFLMAO:
Does anyone know the quality of the stopovers? I love the idea but only if they're worth stopping at.

Regards
Doug

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
£30 is still quite a lot of money, it'll buy at least a gallon of diesel:ROFLMAO:
Does anyone know the quality of the stopovers? I love the idea but only if they're worth stopping at.

Regards
Doug

I imagine they will vary in quality, but will all be better than a motorway service station:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
This sounds really good. it was a thought I had a few years ago, I will not be joining just yet aas I would like to see whats on offer, I will watch it very carefully. And really hope it grows to an Aire equivelent

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I imagine they will vary in quality, but will all be better than a motorway service station:Smile:

Yes but will they let me turn up at 2.30 in the morning? ::bigsmile: and leave before they open.

Olley

Lexy Traveller

Free Member
Jul 11, 2008
Funster No
Exp
just started
Hi
Just wondered how the scheme is working for those that have become members as it has been running for while now

what's your experiences been?

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Motorhomestopovers.co.uk

Here is a report that I have received just today 21/7/08 for Glen T - a member of the Big Pitch Guide.....

"Hi Dick

Hope you and Mo are as well as when I last saw you !!

Saw the advert for motorhomestopover in the Big Pitch Guide and thought it a good idea. £30 quid later I am a member - however after accessing the directory it would appear that nearly all the sites are a max size 20 foot, a very few are 35 foot - making it a bit useless for most of us.

Shame as it is a very good concept and I wrongly assumed that it would be restricted to pubs with a large car park ect.

Thought you might like to make this clear to everyone lest those with Big Uns spend £30 for nowt like wot I have !

regards

Glen"

As a direct result of Glen's report, I have not only emailed every member of the Big Pitch Guide but I have also withdrawn the 'advert' from the Guide.

This, of course, only affects RV'ers - not the majority of European motorhomes.

Lexy Traveller

Free Member
Jul 11, 2008
Funster No
Exp
just started
Thanks for the response :) we have a european but its a 29 footer so wouldnt have worked for us but such shame as its a great idea

maybe the site would consider also listing pubs with space for RV's?

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Am I correct in thinking that apart from the map with numbers of the various stopovers that you cannot identify the pubs exactly? (Sorry, bit short of time right now but interested as our MH is only 20 ft.) ....also are you expected to order a meal at every pub?? (We never go to a pub just for a drink so we would buy both at some pubs but maybe spend nothing at others??) :winky: If you moved on every night for a week, you'd find it hard to eat a meal at a pub each night?!!
Am I making any sense?!! :ROFLMAO: Ana x

euro

Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it
Just looked at the site. There is a forum but it has next to no activity recently.

Does anyone have experience of the scheme? I like the idea but I'm a bit wary about putting my hard earned dosh into it just yet?

Lexy Traveller

Free Member
Jul 11, 2008
Funster No
Exp
just started
hi euro
i asked the same question yesterday - the posts at the bottom opf page one give you a good indications as to whether the scheme is any good for you :)

euro

Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it
hi euro
i asked the same question yesterday - the posts at the bottom opf page one give you a good indications as to whether the scheme is any good for you :)

Hi

Yeah, I saw those but as I only have a little one :cry: I was wondering what the general feeling was of anyone who had used them on a regular basis.

The forum is sleepy hollow so its not easy to guage anything from that.

A map of the participating pubs would be a good idea for instance :thumb:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
With reference to the email that I got from Glen saying that he was not impressed with the Motorhome Stopover Site - never let it be said that I cannot give a balanced opinion.

Here are the views of another of my members received quite late yesterday.......

Hi Dick

Thank you for letting us know this gentleman's feelings. However, I have not regretted joining (The Stopover Site) and will renew when the time comes. Surely it is up to the individual to check the site out for individual motorhomes lengths, as sites do change their rules, frequently.

Best wishes to you both

Margaret P

Margaret does have an RV, in case you were wondering.

W

Wilbury

Deleted User
Hi All,
A good friend of mine has been overnighting at various pubs for many years, usually free of charge if use is made of the facilities, just for the asking.
It seems that some body has now dreamt up a scheme to make doing this into another comercial scheme to rip off motorhomers.
I for one will not be giving him any of my money.
Wilbury

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
In the interest of fairness to all concerned - I have spoken to Kevin, the proprietor of the motorhomestopover web site and he has just come back to re-affirm the statement shown on the front page of his web site..............

We have 84 sites with car parks big enough to take 40ft RV's . Sorry for the all the hassle , kindest regards. Kevin

Kevin has also volunteered to refund the membership of the chap who commented on the lack of RV sites on the 'stopover' web site. I think that 84 RV friendly pub car parks out of a total of approx 180 listed is a pretty good ratio and Kevin has given me special entrance to his web site to verify his statement. I really do not think we can ask more of him - and I will report back with my findings in the morning.

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Correction of an anomaly on "stopover" web site.

Kevin, the owner of the "Motorhomestopover" web site, myself and Glen, the member of the BPG who commented on the lack of RV stopovers mentioned on the site, have had a jolly good discussion session today and discovered that the whole subject of pitch sizes had been mis-construed by most of us RV'ers.

I am happy to put the record straight right now and to state quite unequivocally that I, once again, fully and whole heartedly support that web site.

The problem occurred in the interpretation of the vehicle sizes shown against each pub site.

The largest size shown as being accepted was 35 foot and most of the RV community assumed that these were MAXIMUM sizes - whereas, in fact, that actually meant that the Pub could take 35ft and LONGER - hence the reason that Kevin was quite specific that there were 84 sites that could take a 40ft RV.

Kevin has added a small rider to the front page of the website to make this situation much clearer to all of us - and we, in turn, have agreed that there are at least 84 pubs that have car parks big enough to accept a 40 footer.

If you fancy a night on a pub car park rather than a stop-over on a motorway service station - then I really do recommend this site. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Knaus680

Free Member
Sep 11, 2007
Home base is Newcastle, but currently full timing
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Feb 2007
the motorhome stopover

Hi, we have signed up to and used 'The Motorhome Stopover'. So far it has been brilliant. We have also been lucky enough to meet and stay with the founders Kevin & Marita at The Drift Inn Seaton Burn Newcastle upon Tyne. They have been exceptionally welcoming to us and have a huge car park with all facilities. Well worth a visit if going to the area! Knaus680:thumb:

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I am a member of this site and recently stayed at my first m/h stopover site on my way to Scotland.The landlord was a real nice guy and the food in his pub was superb,it was a pleasure to stay there.This scheme has got to be a good thing for motorhomers surely,and I`m sure you`ll get ya 30 quids worth back in a year.::bigsmile:

steve

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Motorhome Stopover

Re Sizes

Check out the website as there is a notice that the sizes can be s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d.

We stayed on a stopover in Amble, Northumberland. GREAT

Plenty space as we were the only unit staying, friendly proprietor, no need to eat in the pub as they didnt do food, but we were right on the High Street so had Pizza.

Went back on our return journey and stayed another night.

The prop. was moving out so we are hoping the new owner will still allow stopovers.

Dont mind using this stopover for a cheap weekend trip as we could easily walk down to the harbour, and hubby enjoyed the breakfast buns from the snack van over the road.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Re Sizes

Check out the website as there is a notice that the sizes can be s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d.

It would be a lot simpler to state the maximum size instead of the confusion caused by the current system :thumb:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
We stayed at the pub in Amble again.

The new owner was happy to let us stay.

Our stay coincided with their games night so free supper.......not bad for the price
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: £0.00 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
interested in this site and opened it up, but you cant get any information unless you cough up the £30 ! i don't spend until i see what i am getting for my cash ! i have sent them an e-mail to see what is available in Cornwall and Scotland , my favourite places ! i don't need explicit details , just numbers ! lets see what happens ! :thumb:

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
rip off

Hola
Cant believe members think that 30 pounds is good value !! Thought this was a good idea until went on the site and saw the joining fee. Sent them an email asking if this was correct but they haven't bothered to reply.
Only wanted to use these sites for two weeks when we come over to England from Spain in our Benimar but will not pay £30 for using what are essentially "Aires". Will stick to France in future where I can park mainly for free.
David and Ann:Sad:
I just looked at a web site for pub stopovers currently got 165 overnight pubs signed up 75 able to take RV's over 12mtrs throughout England/Scotland & Wales, membership fee £30 per annum with free stop over. As site says they are just stop overs but from what i could see is there is good food & beer available at each stop. its worth a look. Welcome to The Motorhome Stopover

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Having spent many a sleep disturbed night parked on a motorway service station at a cost of £10 - £15 per night, listening to the drone of a refrigerated lorry next door to me - compared to the relative peace, serenity, security and availability of a pint and a pie at £30 per year - I know where I want to be!

Long live the Pub Stopover site :thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
35 ft +

Kevin, the owner of the "Motorhomestopover" web site, myself and Glen, the member of the BPG who commented on the lack of RV stopovers mentioned on the site, have had a jolly good discussion session today and discovered that the whole subject of pitch sizes had been mis-construed by most of us RV'ers.

I am happy to put the record straight right now and to state quite unequivocally that I, once again, fully and whole heartedly support that web site.

The problem occurred in the interpretation of the vehicle sizes shown against each pub site.

The largest size shown as being accepted was 35 foot and most of the RV community assumed that these were MAXIMUM sizes - whereas, in fact, that actually meant that the Pub could take 35ft and LONGER - hence the reason that Kevin was quite specific that there were 84 sites that could take a 40ft RV.

Kevin has added a small rider to the front page of the website to make this situation much clearer to all of us - and we, in turn, have agreed that there are at least 84 pubs that have car parks big enough to accept a 40 footer.

If you fancy a night on a pub car park rather than a stop-over on a motorway service station - then I really do recommend this site. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Why not go the whole hog and say 6 inches plus? That would take care of everyone and be just as useless. Got to say I would be wary of paying 30 £ to a site as slapdash as this when I can sniff out overnight stops quite easily myself. :Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Having spent many a sleep disturbed night parked on a motorway service station at a cost of £10 - £15 per night, listening to the drone of a refrigerated lorry next door to me - compared to the relative peace, serenity, security and availability of a pint and a pie at £30 per year - I know where I want to be!

Long live the Pub Stopover site :thumb:

I agree .. but I think the £30 annual fee is way too expensive.. other organisations such as France Passion and Camping La Ferme have an annual book that costs a third of that.. and with literally thousands of sites..

So what do you get for the £30 ? I haven't seen a sample entry so cannot comment on the content and as most landlords are more than happy to let you stay overnight.. I just can't see how the £30 is justified..

I saw this topic discussed on an Irish forum, but most Irish landlords were against their details being published in a book for fear of it being used by the travellers.. so it was a non starter..

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User

This would be good for medium/longterm parking but for occasional stopovers a lot of boozers wouldn't mind you leaving your vehicle overnight anyways.
It does seem to be a sign of the 'Charge travellers for a patch of land' trend that seems prevalent now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back