Thermal Cooking pot - anyone got one? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having seen "Mr D's thermal cooker" being sold at the Peterborough show I wondered if anyone has bought one and if so how easy it is to use.

I've just 'won' a similar item on Ebay so am looking to put it to good use when I get it.

Attachments

• shp 1.jpg
    shp 1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 75
  • shp 2.jpg
    shp 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 68
  • shp 3.jpg
    shp 3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Food Flask?

Bigger - this one's 4 litres. It was originally sold by Lakeland for around £60, then discounted to £29 when they for some reason sold them off. Not telling you how much I paid though! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Bigger - this one's 4 litres. It was originally sold by Lakeland for around £60, then discounted to £29 when they for some reason sold them off. Not telling you how much I paid though! :thumb:

I wasn't referring to a particular product. I just thought it sounds like a flask to keep food in rather than drink :ROFLMAO:

Flask. Heat your drink up and put it in here and it will still be warm hours later.
Your item says: cook your meal on the hob and place in the thermal container. Next bit mentions vacuum. So sounds just like a vacuum flask but for food rather than drink :winky:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hiya, I have the Australian 'Dreampot' which I do use and it is very good! I do wonder, despite the two reviews there are on the Lakeland website if it is truly a pot to cook in :ROFLMAO: or if it is, as advertised, a stay hot pot. I wonder if it is as insulated as the Dreampot or the one being sold at the shows now. Regardless of that...£3.20, a great deal :Smile: Jane

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I read a lot of reviews about the Lakeland 'Stay Hot Pot' (SHP) before I bid on this one, and it appears to be the same quality as "Mr D's" - lots of people have the SHP and use it in exactly the same way as Mr D's - starting cooking the food with the pan on the hob, then place the pan in the thermal outer pot where it continues cooking. The SHP doesn't have the accessories that you can buy for Mr D's as it only has the one 'pan' inside, whereas you can get a second smaller one for Mr D's one as well, however I have a plan on how to sort that out so will experiment when I get it. ::bigsmile:

As we're usually fairly active during the day when away on holiday, or if we've got a long journey, it would be great to be able to do a bit of preparation first thing and then leave it 'cooking' during the day without worry and have a nice hot meal ready in an evening when we're [STRIKE]knackered[/STRIKE] tired!

Hubby is a dab hand with our slow cooker at home so I'm sure he'll be eager to give this a try when it arrives, and it will save gas too. :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
!

Link Removed

Interesting...

£3.20, Mel? Bargain!

You betcha! ::bigsmile:

I had thought of making one - something like the 'wonderbag' which is like a giant beanbag:

Link Removed

However, I spotted the SHP on Ebay so thought if I could get it for a sensible price it would be better and I wouldn't have to worry about the dogs being able to 'raid' it if we were out of the van - even if I put it in the washroom with the door closed I could see them finding a way to get through the door!!!:Eeek:

The pot will also double up as a cooler too, so as we've got a smaller fridge/freezer in our motorhome it might prove useful to keep things like lettuce etc in too - not at the same time as a stew of course! :Doh:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Using residual heat to cook is a recognised method - this just makes it portable & convenient.
My Dad had a wonderful recipe to cook a whole chicken in five minutes, it took 24 hours :ROFLMAO: (used six forks - not four candles :winky:, I digress)
Slightly larger in scale is the Hawaiian bbq pig, cooked by the residual heat of hot rock buried in a pit...

No idea if this particular gadget will prove its worth - but the science is sound.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Using residual heat to cook is a recognised method - this just makes it portable & convenient.
My Dad had a wonderful recipe to cook a whole chicken in five minutes, it took 24 hours :ROFLMAO: (used six forks - not four candles :winky:, I digress)
Slightly larger in scale is the Hawaiian bbq pig, cooked by the residual heat of hot rock buried in a pit...

No idea if this particular gadget will prove its worth - but the science is sound.

Yes, there's nothing new about this way of cooking, but I didn't fancy digging a fire-pit in the floor of my camper! ::bigsmile:

One other benefit of this is that the cooking smells are kept inside the pot so at least the camper won't 'stink' if I do a curry in it, unlike a slow cooker which isn't totally sealed - nice when cooking a stew or joint of meat but it don't half make you hungry when you have to 'smell' it all day!

I already have a double skillet and a pressure cooker so this will add to my 'armoury' of cooking kit.

Ooooooo ... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!!!! :shout:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
An upmarket version of the old 'hay box' ::bigsmile: If it works as well as they did you're onto a winner there Minx! enjoy

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I got a Wonderbag for my birthday from my kids. Last time we were away in the van I got a stew going on the hob at home for 15 minutes, popped the pan into the wonderbag and placed it (carefully) into the van. Once we arrived in the rather chilly Highlands and got set up we sat down to a massive, tender beef stew. Great.
The beauty of a Wonderbag is that when you buy one they give one away to a family in a third world country.
http://nb-wonderbag.com/

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Cant wait to get it! We've been watching some of the Hairy Bikers' TV shows that we've recorded and have just seen one where they've done a chicken casserole with potato cobbler on top - looks an ideal one to use as a first 'experiment' when it comes!

mmmmmm .... I hope the seller posts it quickly .... ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Its arrived! :thumb: I'll have to have a play with it .... now what to cook first ... decisions, decisions, decisions .... ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back