Beware the truck pumps in LeClerc or really glad we carry more than one card (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sunday we called in to LeClercs at Nonancourt, just off the N154. All we wanted was a top up to get us home. The car side was fullish but the truck side was empty and as we are fairly big its sometimes easier to use the truck pumps if they re quiet. 24/7 so in goes the Revolut card - refused. OK I put in my zero card also refused. Having encountered a situation at a Super U on the Friday where they couldnt take payments from foreign cards because of a server issue I assumed it was related - afterall very little gets done in France over the weekend.

Next thing was a text from Santander fraud dept notifying me of a transaction of 2000 euros, this I deduced was amount LeClerc tried to put on my card before turning the pumps on, as there was insufficent credit on my Revolut card, that had failed and is still blocked at the moment and Santander which had plenty of balance available decided it could be fraud as I don't often use it.

I've no idea whether this is a new policy, I ve previously used the truck pumps in other LeClercs and not had this problem but thought it was worth mentioning as it could be a big problem if it happened to someone who only had one card

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Always been wise to take more than one card even before the current practice of pumps putting a holding charge on. I found Revolt did not work at an unmanned 24/7 Total pump. It had plenty of euros on to cover the 2 150 euro holding charges put on - I tried it in the pump twice.
We always go with 3 debit cards and 2 credit cards

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I had a similar situation this summer with my Santander card. Santander had blocked the payment because it looked suspicious. Quickly sorted with a phone call but a hassle nevertheless when stood at the pumps.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The key to this is they tried to put a hold on 2k euros which for trucks i am assuming is ok but for our vehicles is way OTT, most pumps will put a small hold but not 2k that's def one to watch out for when using truck pumps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It might be a system to discourage smaller vehicles from using the truck pump unless there is sufficient funds to fill a trucks tanks?
I can imagine the reaction from a queue of French truckers waiting to fill up behind car owners! 😱

When I was trucking over there, we used to have special trucking discount cards. 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
No issue with a Chase card either, but then we haven’t ever tried to fill at a truck pump. They tend to pump fuel far too fast for a smaller vehicle’s tanks to cope with, so risk an overflow spill. We stick to the ordinary pumps.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Filled up with £57 squiddlies of fuel on the A3 Southbound and went to pay by my Santander Debit Card and the cashier said its been refused. Tried again and no luck, with the cashier saying that Santander or whoever, had instructed him to confiscate the card. He didn’t and luckily I had £60 squiddlies in my wallet.

A call to Santander and was informed that 3 minutes before I had put my card in the machine, someone had paid for a hotel and train tickets in Italy.

Got my money refunded, but takes time and is a proverbial pain in the 🫏. The card details had apparently been taken from a motorbike shop and passed on to whomever the in scrupulous people were.

Then, using a phone in the Warrant Officers and Sergeants Mess in Güterslöh Germany that required a card to be swiped before it would allow the call to be made, also collected my details and spent on my card, which again, Santander sorted for me.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We use Halifax Clarity never had a single refusal either at automated pumps or peages
I hadnt before this, been doing it for years
It might be a system to discourage smaller vehicles from using the truck pump unless there is sufficient funds to fill a trucks tanks?
I can imagine the reaction from a queue of French truckers waiting to fill up behind car owners! 😱

When I was trucking over there, we used to have special trucking discount cards. 🤔
I agree with this, but we can't always get into the car ones 3.4m high. I've used truck pumps quite a few times because the speed is also good for me and its particularly handy if I want to fill both tanks ( 150litres each side) I can be quite a while on some car pumps.

Just a note I drive a truck myself, I try my hardest not to make a nuisance of myself for people who have got schedules to meet.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've no idea whether this is a new policy, I ve previously used the truck pumps in other LeClercs and not had this problem but thought it was worth mentioning as it could be a big problem if it happened to someone who only had one card
pay at pump truck pumps ring fence 2k. Attended service I have never been allowed to use a truck pump.
that's def one to watch out for when using truck pumps.
On the peage in France I have never been allowed to fill without first going in & depositing either a credit, debit card or driving licence against payment before the pump will be turned on.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Le Clerc pumps today refused my Revolut and HSBC global card both of which had over €100 credit. Carrefour accepted Revolut a few days ago no issue.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
On the peage in France I have never been allowed to fill without first going in & depositing either a credit, debit card or driving licence against payment before the pump will be turned on.
Interesting as when we drove back in January from Spain to Calais we filled up several times on the peage fuel stations and always filled up then inside to pay, never the other way around. Not seen that method for a very long time, i guess it depends where you are by the sounds of it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We use Halifax Clarity never had a single refusal either at automated pumps or peages
Same here.
I tend not to use the truck pumps as the fill can be bit fast & sometimes you can end up with diesel all over your feet & legs.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Interesting as when we drove back in January from Spain to Calais we filled up several times on the peage fuel stations and always filled up then inside to pay, never the other way around. Not seen that method for a very long time, i guess it depends where you are by the sounds of it.
I dont think you would be filling on the peage at present, mostly over 2 euros, highest one at 2.35/litre
LeClerc was 1.80 hence I thought I would have some. previous fill was at Roses 1.56.

• Informative
Reactions: zac
OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just checked my Revolut card and the amount blocked by LeClerc is still blocked, according to Revolut help pages its up to the retailer to either charge or release it. If they do neither by 31st October then the transaction will be automatically cancelled.

Luckily I'm home now.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
I've had problems with debit and preloaded cards in the past blocking money till it clears. Always use my Halifax Credit card or Tesco one for fuel now.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I've had problems with debit and preloaded cards in the past blocking money till it clears. Always use my Halifax Credit card or Tesco one for fuel now.
in Uk or France?

I was forced to use my Tesco Credit Card ( in another petrol station) and the rate was E1.125, compared to the E15.5 current on my Zero Card and E1.16 that I pre bought on the Revolut.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
in Uk or France?

I was forced to use my Tesco Credit Card ( in another petrol station) and the rate was E1.125, compared to the E15.5 current on my Zero Card and E1.16 that I pre bought on the Revolut.
France.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
in Uk or France?

Still would use the credit card personal preference and less hassle.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
I had issues with Revolut last year where it preauthorises card and then declines. In the end I used my Halifax Clarity card with no problems (same pump). In every other respect - paying site fees, food shopping, restaurants and bar bills I swear by Revolut as you’re paying in Euros or whatever locsl currency you’ve loaded. This year, in light of last years debacle, our strategy was use Clarity for fuel and Revolut for everything else. Worked fine.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
This was a few years back & from La Jonquera travelling up to cross in to Germany at Mulhouse.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Travelling up out of Italy this year, as fuel prices were rapidly rising, found that many stations were blocking €120
There is so much variance , pumps stopping at anywhere between E100 and E200, I think it would be helpful if the operators put a sign on the pumps saying what their limits are. If I want a full fill it can take me 6 or 7 times.

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
That’s normal practice on the UK motorway HGV pumps.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
That’s normal practice on the UK motorway HGV pumps.
This was just an mpv.

Another thing I noticed that came to me on my return journey the same way was that most of the fuel stations had been completely altered from "drive in off peage , on to pump,fill ,drive out i" in the direction you are travelling to " drive off the peage, turn right 180º into the fuel station to get on the pump facing the opposite way to direction of travel, exit station by having to cross the incoming traffic from the peage exit" The only thing we concluded is that it was yet another way to stop "drive offs"? But as i have asked before how can you have drive offs on a toll road & how can you be robbed on a toll road without anyone being trapped between the exit booths? especially considering there are usually dozens of gendarmes dossing around toll exits.

Feb 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
Exp
Since 2019
We had issues on the Peage with truck pumps not accepting our cards, so resorted to the car pumps which worked fine. Only problem there was on three sites, there was nowhere to park the 8meter and no way to get to the truck parking from the car parking, so we could not stop there for a cuppa or a bite to eat.
Ended up doing separate fuel and nibble stops.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back