Processionary Caterpillars Warning Pet Owners (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Just a reminder all you pet owners travelling in Spain the processionary caterpillars are active, they have seen in towns where you never expect them, we have not seen them on ground ourselves on our walks in the mountains, but plenty of nests and they are out and ready to go, so be extra careful when out and about. 😎 Bob.

20230131_134448.jpg

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Im on a quesada facebook group and someone put a photo of two lines of caterpillers on the path outside a pub,ive never seen it before they looked like a crack in pavement but ive been told they dangerous to dogs (sorry i cant find picture). Pam

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes nasty things, someone said they was outside Maseymas supermarket in Benicachel you cant see any pine trees close to it, and that's what they build their nest in. 🤔
I think it was Rayb182 cleaning pine needles off his motorhome roof, all his arms come up in an irritating rash, obviously the caterpillars had shed some hairs. 😮
We had them a few years ago in Portugal in September, and unknown to us them being in the trees we parked under, until we got out the camper in the morning and they was everywhere, so a lot earlier than we get them here in Javea. 🙂 Bob.

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
What harm do they do to dogs?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
What harm do they do to dogs?
Swollen tongue: if they stick to the tongue of a dog, the hooked and stinging hairs of processionary caterpillars can cause real injuries. The resulting allergic reaction makes the animal's tongue swollen, with a consequent risk of suffocation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
Swollen tongue: if they stick to the tongue of a dog, the hooked and stinging hairs of processionary caterpillars can cause real injuries. The resulting allergic reaction makes the animal's tongue swollen, with a consequent risk of suffocation.
Thanks, sounds horrible. I'll look out for them as we are in Spain with dog atm for another few weeks.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We parked under some pine trees in France, never thought of the caterpillars but then looking around we saw some nests so moved double quick!

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
and we have the oak processionary caterpillar here in uk, every bit as evil to both man and beaast, and also notifiable to the relevent agency so they can be dealt with, but i cant remember which one it is..

Dec 28, 2017
Loughborough
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We are in Guadramas du Suguria this week,the park area near the beach is covered with them never seen so many,they seem to be on the increase in this area first ones we have seen this year on our travels.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
and we have the oak processionary caterpillar here in uk, every bit as evil to both man and beaast, and also notifiable to the relevent agency so they can be dealt with, but i cant remember which one it is..

It's The Forest Commission.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
They are deadly do not underestimate the danger.

Why are Pine Processionary Caterpillars So Dangerous?

It is impossible to underestimate the horrifying impact that these caterpillars can have on both children and animals (particularly -Broken Link Removed-). There are often stories in the press of dogs who are put to sleep, or who have to undertake extensive surgery as a result of standing on or swallowing pine processionary caterpillars. Although not as fatal, children can also experience allergic reactions or respiratory problems as a result of coming into contact with the caterpillars. Individuals with asthma are particularly vulnerable and at risk of having a severe attack, so need to be especially careful when walking in Spanish woodland.

These caterpillars are so dangerous because the hairs or bristles that cover their bodies contain an urticating protein called Thaumetopoein. This is a poison that can case severe skin irritation, and lead to a rash in humans, whilst because animals are more likely to eat the caterpillars, or lick any wounds or sores that they receive, the damage can be much more devastating to them.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We’re currently in a pine forest in Sagres with several suspicious looking nests above us.
Forewarned is forarmed.
The bug splatter is charging.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Just a reminder all you pet owners travelling in Spain the processionary caterpillars are active, they have seen in towns where you never expect them, we have not seen them on ground ourselves on our walks in the mountains, but plenty of nests and they are out and ready to go, so be extra careful when out and about. 😎 Bob.

View attachment 711963
Absolutely horrid creatures.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
My husband had a very painful rash on his back after brushing past them when biking. We are always very careful with our dog & move on if we see a lot of nests. I think they sort of shoot the hairs out if touched?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When I did the Camino four years ago, (WHAT!!! How long ago?)

I spent hours pointing out the nests to fellow perigrinos of the danger. They, of course, coming from all over the planet, had no idea of the danger.

I only saw one actual caterpillar as it was early season in the North of Spain.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I had an encounter with these little beasts a couple of years ago, before I knew about the harm they can cause. We stopped for an overnight stay in Portugal. I noticed a ball of caterpillars on the ground where I was going to put down a couple of mats outside the MOHO door. I pushed the ball of caterpillars out of the way with my hand, put the mats down and went inside. Next day I had the hands of Mickey Mouse. They looked OK, but I couldn't bend my fingers, my hands were itching like fury, and I had to drive only using my palms. Fortunately my dogs and wife were unaffected. Now when I pull up to a pitch at this time of year my eyes are as much in the pine trees and on the ground under them as they are on a good pitch to park on.

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
Dogs/pets usually get them stuck in their paws, then start licking or pulling at their paws, hence then getting the hairs in their mouths.

Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Dogs/pets usually get them stuck in their paws, then start licking or pulling at their paws, hence then getting the hairs in their mouths.
For that reason can’t emphasise enough to get the animal to a vet within a couple of hours. We’ve met people it’s happened to and it’s really been that serious.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back