Unsure after viewing today (2 Viewers)

Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Went to view a MH which we thought was a real possibility, but have come away feeling a bit confused and would be grateful for any thoughts. It is a burstner harmony, just over 6 months old and on with a dealer. Dealer was excellent, let us spend ages going over it, answered our questions, no pressure at all, very helpful.

We found a few things wrong that individually aren't too bad, but added up are concerning us that maybe the van hasn't been looked after that well in it's short life, but not sure if we are being too picky.

Lots of scuffs on the inside of the wardrobe door where drawers have been pulled out and caught the door.
Deeper scratch on laminate shelf in bathroom.
Fridge door was shut but freezer compartment had 1" of water on it's floor where it had defrosted and been left wet.
Fridge top shelf has had it's plastic rubbed off.
Electric drop down bed wouldn't stop half way down when we tried to stop it - kept drifting down at slower speed, then wouldn't stay up when we put it back up.
Garage had a few scuffs inside.
Spashes that looked as if either tea or muddy water perhaps around inside of the fuse box cabinet at floor level.
When we lifted the under floor storage compartment lid up, the edge of the lid underneath had dried water marks the whole way round and the same around the top floor level edge of the compartment (burstner double floor). Mentioned it to dealer who got a damp meter and showed us it was 6-9 around the edge in places, but zero a couple of inches further away on the floor. It looked to us as though water had sat around the edge of the storage space, maybe a floor spill?

So we came away to scratch heads, head saying don't rule it out, heart feeling a bit deflated. Suppose we were expecting a nearly new van to look a bit more looked after. The dealer would fix the bed and replace the fridge shelf, scuffs would have to go down as use, but the water marks and damp around the floor storage area surprised us. It's under warranty but we feel uncertain how concerned we should be. It hasn't had it's first official warranty hab check yet, that would be done by us in 2022. Dealer said they would do a pre sale one and we felt generally as though they would be good to buy from.

Any thoughts?

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
May have served 6 months as a hire vehicle.
If dealer is going to fix or reduce cost should be okay.
Have you looked at anything else? And how does it compare?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CarlandMandy
Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Seems like a lot of internal damage, is it an ex rental?

I’m amazed a dealer wouldn’t have cleaned the interior a bit. Certainly to deal with most of the issues you noted. Maybe the dealer would be my concern

What mileage is it and can you find out if it's ex-hire ?
Definitely not an ex rental, 1 owner, 3500k miles, bought from the same dealer it's back on with now. Seemed a genuine change of circumstances for the van being sold. It was due to be cleaned properly this week, but we did call Monday to say we were visiting today, so we were a bit surprised too.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Went to view a MH which we thought was a real possibility, but have come away feeling a bit confused and would be grateful for any thoughts. It is a burstner harmony, just over 6 months old and on with a dealer. Dealer was excellent, let us spend ages going over it, answered our questions, no pressure at all, very helpful.

We found a few things wrong that individually aren't too bad, but added up are concerning us that maybe the van hasn't been looked after that well in it's short life, but not sure if we are being too picky.

Lots of scuffs on the inside of the wardrobe door where drawers have been pulled out and caught the door.
Deeper scratch on laminate shelf in bathroom.
Fridge door was shut but freezer compartment had 1" of water on it's floor where it had defrosted and been left wet.
Fridge top shelf has had it's plastic rubbed off.
Electric drop down bed wouldn't stop half way down when we tried to stop it - kept drifting down at slower speed, then wouldn't stay up when we put it back up.
Garage had a few scuffs inside.
Spashes that looked as if either tea or muddy water perhaps around inside of the fuse box cabinet at floor level.
When we lifted the under floor storage compartment lid up, the edge of the lid underneath had dried water marks the whole way round and the same around the top floor level edge of the compartment (burstner double floor). Mentioned it to dealer who got a damp meter and showed us it was 6-9 around the edge in places, but zero a couple of inches further away on the floor. It looked to us as though water had sat around the edge of the storage space, maybe a floor spill?

So we came away to scratch heads, head saying don't rule it out, heart feeling a bit deflated. Suppose we were expecting a nearly new van to look a bit more looked after. The dealer would fix the bed and replace the fridge shelf, scuffs would have to go down as use, but the water marks and damp around the floor storage area surprised us. It's under warranty but we feel uncertain how concerned we should be. It hasn't had it's first official warranty hab check yet, that would be done by us in 2022. Dealer said they would do a pre sale one and we felt generally as though they would be good to buy from.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like an ex rental to me…… not good. If it is not then I would be very suspicious that it is offered for sale in that sloppy state. I would walk from this - these are only the obvious issues; what about other ones that are not obvious?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CarlandMandy
Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
May have served 6 months as a hire vehicle.
If dealer is going to fix or reduce cost should be okay.
Have you looked at anything else? And how does it compare?
We have seen quite a few second hand ones, various makes and ages, this is probably the first we've gone over with a fine tooth comb and had been seriously interested in. This is also the first one that has looked like the owners had been a bit casual with it shall we say...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CarlandMandy
Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
If you aren't sure don't buy it! I wonder if the wet floor was more water out of the freezer. The dealers don't sound very impressive to me
That was the dealer's thought too re the freezer water

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CarlandMandy
Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Sounds like an ex rental to me…… not good. If it is not then I would be very suspicious that it is offered for sale in that sloppy state. I would walk from this - these are only the obvious issues; what about other ones that are not obvious?

There sounds like it has damage that can’t be a quick fix, damage to a door, drawer damage etc etc ☹️

I'd walk away. No matter who has used it I wouldn't expect that level of careless damage in a five year old van let alone at 6 months old.
Thanks everyone - after a 3 hour drive that became 5 thanks to the m25, we have been going round in circles, but you are echoing our own doubts. Being inexperienced, you can doubt your doubts but our gut feeling is walk, there will be others. Thank goodness for this forum!

Upvote 1
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
3500 miles in six months…. Conceivably it could be an ex rental for a short summer season
What makes everyone think it's a rental. Lots of people treat their car like a shed never clean it and drive it with no mechanical sympathy.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
3500 miles in six months…. Conceivably it could be an ex rental for a short summer season
That's not much we do can that on a single 6 week trip.

Whatever the dealer says it sounds like an ex rental an if the dealer knew you were coming and couldn't be bothered to tidy it up not a dealer to buy from.

Upvote 0

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
Had my camper 4 months and done 4300 miles but i do keep it clean so maybe its not an ex rental just used by slobs

burke-enfield.jpg

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Definitely not an ex rental, 1 owner, 3500k miles, bought from the same dealer it's back on with now. Seemed a genuine change of circumstances for the van being sold. It was due to be cleaned properly this week, but we did call Monday to say we were visiting today, so we were a bit surprised too.
The owner could have rented it out through GoBooney or similar.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Personally i wouldn’t want it, unless it is a real bargain price!
For me there are too many oddities and at 6 months old it should be better than that. Most people spending that sort of money on something like that, from new, would be more careful with it.
Wonder if it was a ’Covid-buy’ as in “no hols abroad, we know nothing about MHs but we’ll buy one and go on hols in UK”

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Could have been used as full time accommodation during a building project. Dealer sounds like he doesn't give a flying fig, somebody less knowledgeable will be along shortly attitude isn't a disbarment to a sale in the current market.RUN AWAY, from the van and dealer.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
I read through your comments as far as the bed issue, that was enough for me to think..No, but like others have said, go with your gut, when in doubt, leave it out!
Good luck on finding something that makes you 😃, not :unsure:

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
We viewed a 4 yr old Burstner that had everything we wanted, but, it really did look like it had had the hardest of four years' life before it found its way back onto the forecourt. We chose to walk away as it was evident that it had sat out in the (probably), Spanish sun for months on end and one side of the van was seriously discoloured to the other side, with all of the resultant UV decay on the plastics and such like. Internally, there were just too many dinks and knocks to be seen. This one wasn't for us for sure .....

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Personally I'd reluctantly walk away, if not a rental it's certainly not been looked after by a careful owner.
I find that most owners who invest in a van are fastidious in their care, if you don't buy this one a carefully owned van will become available.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back