We are done with the Caravan Club (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
It a very thing that through history there have been people with the exact opposite attitude of people like you.
Thankfully there have always been “can do” people and not all like you “ can’t do” people.
It works on the friendly sites, sort of makes one wonder why they’re the ones known as the friendly club.
That would be the friendly club that virtually abandoned us in Spain on one of there Winter rallies when Covid struck and offered NO help apart from telling us our ferry home from Bilbao was now cancelled the tunnel was our best way home but they couldn't help with any overnight campsites as most were closed . ( we were towing our caravan at the time )
Thankfully we had insurance with Red Pennant and even before I'd thought about phoning them the C&MC contacted us to see how we were and offered to find two overnight sites that would accept us and booked us a Eurotunnel crossing late at night and arranged with warden at Black horse Farm C&MC near Folkstone that we needed an overnight stop on arriving back in the UK .
To rub salt in the wounds the so called " Friendly Club " were uncontactable except by email then took 6 months to refund my Ferry crossing money plus cancelled sites fees which amounted to £1,800
Needless to say after 21 years membership they are history

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It a very good thing that through history there have been people with the exact opposite attitude of people like you.
Thankfully there have always been “can do” people and not all like you “ can’t do” people.
It works on the friendly sites, sort of makes one wonder why they’re the ones known as the friendly club.
Rather than just banging the same drum would it be possible to answer the questions previously raised or is it a case of a possible(?) non-member just expecting a service from the Club and just saying get on with it because that's what some people want?

Post 104 in response to one of your posts -
+++++
  • Are you proposing this for both members and non-members?
  • Would it be chargeable or free of charge?
  • If the former how would the charges be collected?
  • How would it be monitored \ managed as the wardens have other duties, toilet cleaning, grass cutting, general maintenance, etc outwith the times reception are open for new arrival booking-ins?
  • A number, if not most C&MC sites have gate barriers that would require opening to enable access to the facilities. Who would do this?
In my opinion the more sensible and simpler option would be for the traveller to book a pitch for one night, which C&MC permits, to undertake all these task rather than placing a considerable additional burden on what are very busy site staff.
+++++
  • Why would a traveller be totally adverse to booking a pitch for one night to undertake all their "housekeeping" tasks?
  • How do you suggest the Club manages the infrastructure issues at the club's sites listed above to which you gave your quoted "non-response"?
It would be useful to the debate if you could give some rationale around how you believe it could work so those of us who believe, and have laid out some rationale, it is currently unworkable can give some thought as to where we are going wrong. Even if this is how C&CC achieve the above it would be useful.

Surely a well thought out solution is a much better outcome rather than bandying about incorrect and somewhat derogatory comments.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Rather than just banging the same drum would it be possible to answer the questions previously raised or is it a case of a possible(?) non-member just expecting a service from the Club and just saying get on with it because that's what some people want?

Post 104 in response to one of your posts -
+++++
  • Are you proposing this for both members and non-members?
  • Would it be chargeable or free of charge?
  • If the former how would the charges be collected?
  • How would it be monitored \ managed as the wardens have other duties, toilet cleaning, grass cutting, general maintenance, etc outwith the times reception are open for new arrival booking-ins?
  • A number, if not most C&MC sites have gate barriers that would require opening to enable access to the facilities. Who would do this?
In my opinion the more sensible and simpler option would be for the traveller to book a pitch for one night, which C&MC permits, to undertake all these task rather than placing a considerable additional burden on what are very busy site staff.
+++++
  • Why would a traveller be totally adverse to booking a pitch for one night to undertake all their "housekeeping" tasks?
  • How do you suggest the Club manages the infrastructure issues at the club's sites listed above to which you gave your quoted "non-response"?
It would be useful to the debate if you could give some rationale around how you believe it could work so those of us who believe, and have laid out some rationale, it is currently unworkable can give some thought as to where we are going wrong. Even if this is how C&CC achieve the above it would be useful.

Surely a well thought out solution is a much better outcome rather than bandying about incorrect and somewhat derogatory comments.
Your still can’t get it. The friendly club already offers this service to members. Why, if they can do it can’t the other club?
I have and will use this again.
It’s really not difficult.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Your still can’t get it. The friendly club already offers this service to members. Why, if they can do it can’t the other club?
Another non-response with derogatory comment.:frowny:
It's disappointing you appear to be unwilling to help others try and understand your point of view so no point in :banghead:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I agree. If the CCC can successfully do it, which they have done, I cannot see why the CMC can't. Their sites are as busy now and run on similar principles.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
i see your point. McDonald’s do a McMuffin so I don’t see why Burger King can’t. They’re both busy and run on similar principles.
But I think they both have the same rules around emptying your toilet cassette even if you're not eating in!:whistle2::getmecoat:

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
So here I am sitting in Rules Restaurant just off the strand. Somebody walks off the street pops in to use their loo’s - do you think they were turned away?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
So here I am sitting in Rules Restaurant just off the strand. Somebody walks off the street pops in to use their loo’s - do you think they were turned away?
You'll be having the grouse then?

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I fail to see why any membership organisation should feel obliged to make their facilities available to ad hoc non-member passers-by.
CCC did it in a commercial basis and was only for members (so no non members ad hoc or not). They charged the member for using the facilities in the same way (but at a smaller amount) as they charged the members staying overnight. My guess is that they realised that many of their sites could handle it without becoming too busy and it would be a bit more money the site could earn them. Seems eminently sensible to me. It was not all of their sites, I think mainly those that had a decent motorhome fill and dump facility.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
CCC did it in a commercial basis and was only for members (so no non members ad hoc or not). They charged the member for using the facilities in the same way (but at a smaller amount) as they charged the members staying overnight. My guess is that they realised that many of their sites could handle it without becoming too busy and it would be a bit more money the site could earn them. Seems eminently sensible to me. It was not all of their sites, I think mainly those that had a decent motorhome fill and dump facility.
Yep, seems sensible to me too that members can benefit by dropping in to use the facilities and add a bit of income for the site.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Right here we go, first hand experience of motorhome stopoffs. I’m a former franchisee of the Camping and Caravanning Club. My site had a lovely and easy to use motorhome service point designed by me! We offered the motorhome stopoff service, which was use of all facilities for 3 hours for £7.50. So fill up, drain grey, empty your cassette, shower, washing machine/dryer (extra). It never caused us any problems and to be honest it wasn’t used that much. Perhaps it would be used more these days. The biggest issue was motorhomers wanting to book an overnight stay for £7.50.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Right here we go, first hand experience of motorhome stopoffs. I’m a former franchisee of the Camping and Caravanning Club. My site had a lovely and easy to use motorhome service point designed by me! We offered the motorhome stopoff service, which was use of all facilities for 3 hours for £7.50. So fill up, drain grey, empty your cassette, shower, washing machine/dryer (extra). It never caused us any problems and to be honest it wasn’t used that much. Perhaps it would be used more these days. The biggest issue was motorhomers wanting to book an overnight stay for £7.50.
Thanks for offering this service however I’m sure someone will be along in a minuet to tell you that there’s no way you could have done this.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
:unsure:
Was that to anyone or CCC members only?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
& here in spain the complete opposite. Can only refuse in certain circumstances & agreed with council + sign has to be in prominent display "customers only" . Same as all bars/restaurants have to supply customers with a daily paper/s
Road side service areas /bars /restaurants that get inundated with travellers going to & from Morocco in spring/summer , build standalone easy clean toilets/showers away from the main building for them to use & comply with the law so allowing customers of the bar/restaurant sole use of the inside ones.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Well once you’ve risked everything and begged borrowed and spent the best part of a million pounds buying and improving a site, charging £7.50 seemed quite reasonable. However, some people are saying it can’t be done. I’ve proved it can. 👍
I agree, but the first thing most on here ask is how much, not what the service is etc.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
& here in spain the complete opposite. Can only refuse in certain circumstances & agreed with council + sign has to be in prominent display "customers only" . Same as all bars/restaurants have to supply customers with a daily paper/s
Road side service areas /bars /restaurants that get inundated with travellers going to & from Morocco in spring/summer , build standalone easy clean toilets/showers away from the main building for them to use & comply with the law so allowing customers of the bar/restaurant sole use of the inside ones.
But this is the UK thank goodness

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Sorry to be a newbie but can anyone tell me what and Aires is??

Cheers James

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Shortened version or Aire de Camping Car in France. They have thousands of places where motorhomes are welcome to park for the night cheaply or free. Most, but not all, also have fresh water and dumps for grey and black waste as well and some even have EHUs. The original idea was for municipalities to encourage tourists to visit cities towns and villages and spend money in them although now some are commercially run. Similar in Germany, called Stellplatz, and Italy, which have Sostas.

It is motorhome paradise and we are looking forward to getting back to them as soon as possible.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for offering this service however I’m sure someone will be along in a minuet to tell you that there’s no way you could have done this.
That service has been available for years from C and C and I am not aware of anyone raising it as a problem. . Not at all sites. There is a list of around 53

the discussion is whether C and MC should do it It would be great especially for those of us with a black tank to empty

Not sure what all the angst is about.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
So has anyone in the C&MC actually contacted the club to ask why this service is not available? Or is everyone hoping that someone in the club administration is reading this and will consider the problem? As someone said in another post on this thread - if enough members ask for this, maybe something will have to be done to satisfy the demand.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
So has anyone in the C&MC actually contacted the club to ask why this service is not available? Or is everyone hoping that someone in the club administration is reading this and will consider the problem? As someone said in another post on this thread - if enough members ask for this, maybe something will have to be done to satisfy the demand.
Good point!

I will kick it off by contacting them. I dint hold out a lot of hope I have to say

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Demand and money, nobody does anything for nothing.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Good point!

I will kick it off by contacting them. I dint hold out a lot of hope I have to say
You won't be the first that is for sure!
ezee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back