What do others use...????????? (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
To sanitise and clean the inside of your fresh water tank....

Wont use our on-board water for tea and drinking till it is done...

Not sure how long it has been standing with a few gallons in...

At the moment we use a half gallon container for fresh water for tea and doing our teeth..

Deleted User
Like you Mo. 5 Ltr bottle of water from tap & only use tank for washing and washing up
Haven't bothered to clean tank as it's difficult the way I have to park at home

Ditto, never cleaned a fresh water tank in years, never use it for drinking or cooking and try to leave the tank full.
Edit, no danger of freezing where we are :Smile:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

At the moment we use a half gallon container for fresh water for tea and doing our teeth..

We do not bother doing anything. I drain it in winter and reckon most microbes die off in the cold. and leave it full if it is standing as their is less oxygen in there to assist breeding.

I have drunk the water for 12 years(Basia drinks bottled) but we use it for coffee/cooking.

I did the same on my boat for 30+ years, but that was a s/s tank.

I am sure some Medic or Paranoic will come along and say I am 'at risk' - well I have taken the 'risk' for 40 of my near 80 years and am still here. I am more cautious about eating water melon in cholera areas.

Geoff

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We use Elsil. A full job of it after the winter then some minor cleans and doses through the season or if we have drained it down in the winter months between trips. We still only use it for washing and boiling for tea and coffee. If we want drinking water we use bottled or, we fill a bottle from a site tap.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I would use some puraclean in the water, pump it around in the pipes, let it sit for 24hrs, drain and rinse out. In fact that’s what we do periodically, specially when we use spring well water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Puraclean (not quite sure of spelling) only at beginning of season as van usually drained over colder months in case. After that just refill as needed. Will cook wash clean teeth etc from the tank. Cold drink is the only thing I’d use a bottle for. Most water has trace of chlorine so will keep a little avoid of contamination if regularly used. It’s only if standing some time a risk.

but with a second ownership van I’d want to start knowing it’s all sterile. Can understand Old Mo wanting to clean

beware that solutions like Milton are not good for Motorhomes boilers.

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Milton, and puraclean, Depends what I can get hold of when I need it which is usually at the end of December. we have a caravan and use Milton for the roller containers, never been ill, however, I use boiled water for a cold drink and teeth washing.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Elsan fresh water tank clean at start of year. One bottle cleans and sterilises my tank twice. Pour in, fill with water, leave for 24 hrs after a drive round to mix it. Drain then flush through with fresh.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
It’s a Fresh Water tank. Who says there’s a problem other than those who want to sell you something to solve your ‘problem’?

I rinsed it out a flushed it when we first got the van.... but even after this I fancied the water did not look that clear...

Hence my question... :smiley:

And being a finicky ole bugger when it comes to cleanliness...

Did I tell you we are having a 10 month old bathroom ripped out in a week..... and a new one put in, in a week...

Why........... Because we always have and don`t trust others cleanliness.... :doh:

Any one want a complete bathroom suite "FREE".... Large Bath/Large Shower cubicle/Toilet and vanity unit Wash basin complete with all tap`s, riser Shower unit... etc.... and a large 3 mirrored bathroom cabinet..

All Free to any youngster doing up their home... Collection only... from Weymouth.. (y)

Too good and new to dump.... but may do some one a favour...

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Another vote for Puraclean, couple of times a year, but we tend to only use the tank water, for washing, shower, pots and pans. use bottled water for drinking and site water for kettle.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I use Puriclean at the start of the year. This year I also purchased 2 kg of Citric Acid,, dissolved and poured into FW tank, let it stand for a few hours then drained. I did run through the pipes but forgot to flush them for around 12 hours. When I flushed I was amazed at the cloudy water coming out of the boiler. However,, my tank sensor is now clean of calcium build up and works correctly now.
Citric Acid is safe for Stainless Steel and also an excellent sterilising agent. :giggle: :giggle:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
They (whoever "they" are) do say that you should treat water like food and it will go off/stale.

That said, once a year I put a few tablets in it and the rest of the time just fill and use it. We do have a naturePure tap which we use for coffee/tea etc

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years

Water was put in the day before your handover when we do final checks! The water probably needs a Milton by now!!

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Mo.....`kev says your too old to concern yourself over your water tank! Just drink it and be done with it!!
He says that you have been through worse....So........Stop faffing about!
His words not mine sir! :lips:
Personally Sir old Mo......take aquaTabs and shove them down the tank hole! Kev drinks from the tap in the truck and so far he's ok!! :rolleyes:
I must try a different idea! :Eeek:

Carolyn.....

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Had our van from new and empty tank frequently but for all hot drinks we use a Brita filter jug and for pure drinking water fill a container from our fridge filter unit at home .
Sorry, but I looked into using a Brita filter jug; doesn't filter out microbes.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry, but I looked into using a Brita filter jug; doesn't filter out microbes.
No problem, you will see from my post that the water from the Brita is used for hot drinks so it’s boiled before use.
I have however on the rare occasion drunk water from the tank and had no ill effects .

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
No problem, you will see from my post that the water from the Brita is used for hot drinks so it’s boiled before use.
I have however on the rare occasion drunk water from the tank and had no ill effects .
Boiling will kill any bugs, so no need to filter; and sorry but doubt if your fridge filter will take them out either for cold drinks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back