Whitby plus nearby east coast touring (2 Viewers)

Wild Oggie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E462
Exp
Mid 70's
Once we are let loose, we were considering visiting Whitby and touring around the east coast area, for the first time, instead of joining the thousands in Scotland/Wales and Cornwall.
Have seen plenty of campsites and stopovers on search for sites etc, but there is nothing like good solid advice/recommendations from you lot;)
Soooooo, any good ideas.
Thanks in advance

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We live 3 miles inland. I would say in peak summer head slightly inland in the North Yorkshire Moors national park it gets really busy in Whitby. If you can find a site near the northern rail line the train's in aren't too busy it's a pleasant journey and the countryside is lovely.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
We will be touring the Whitby area in mid July. Never been that area before so looking forward to it. So far we have earmarked the train ride, the Cinder Track cycle path to Scarborough and a day in Helmsley, any other suggestions? We have three days at Whitby Holiday Camp, then Lady Cross for a couple of days followed by several CL/ CS sites.

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
About 30 miles back down the east coast just about 9 miles south of Scarborough is a village called Hunmanby. We used to live here, it’s a very interesting place, steeped in history. The village has several pubs and plenty of little shops selling local produce, definitely worth a visit or if you want to stay there is a campsite within easy walking distance of the village called Orchard Farm Holiday Village on Stonegate.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It's a nice walk from Whitby to Sandsend. A good new poshish chipshop in Sandsend do nice fish tacos and two nice beachfront cafes. What was voted the best Bach in Britain last year at runswick bay (although steep road down and limited parking try and avoid weekends or if fit theres a carpark outside the hotel at the top and walk down. Whitby brewery near the abbey are planning more music events this year and have extra outdoor tables.
As you head towards Whitby just before you come down off the moors there's a hill called blue bank. Heading towards Whitby there are 2car parks on the right with a nice view. If you walk across the road through the gate there's a really nice walk along the top of the hill with good views. You can walk to Grosmont from there but would probably need an OS map/app.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
We often visit whitby, the coastal walks both North and South are stunning, and well served by local buses, we usually walk one way and take the bus back. Either Staithes (beautiful small fishing port) Runswick - Sandsend or Whitby to Robin Hoods bay. It's a tradition to have fish and chips at Whitby and buy some kippers from Fortunes Smokehouse at the bottom of the steps to the abbey. The costal cycle track is as I remember is good condition and makes a pleasant ride to Scarborough.
We stayed over a couple of nights in Helmsley, we arrived late and parked next to the castle that allowes overnight stays, I think £7-10 and enjoyed a the Italian restaurant. There are some scenic walks out of Helmsley, we did a circular walk around Reivaux Abbey from the car park.
Dalby Forest is worth a visit, as is the steam railway Grosmont to Pickering, if you're interested in architecture the crypt in lastingham Church is interesting, really depends on what you like to do.

mark73

Free Member
Mar 13, 2017
sheffield
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
About 30 miles back down the east coast just about 9 miles south of Scarborough is a village called Hunmanby. We used to live here, it’s a very interesting place, steeped in history. The village has several pubs and plenty of little shops selling local produce, definitely worth a visit or if you want to stay there is a campsite within easy walking distance of the village called Orchard Farm Holiday Village on Stonegate.
there's a pub in Hunmanby called the piebald inn, you can overnight in their car park, they have hook up, plus they do really nice pies

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
Cafe at the beach does good cakes and you can park any size Motorhome in the large car park on top of the cliffs. Pleasan walk to Filey or the other way to Flambrough head

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
A bit further south to Hornsea. We went last year. Started off at a temp holiday site in Ruswarp (Ccc) nr Whitby. Bus ride into Whitby. Then made our way down the coast. Hornsea a lovely find and if you get there very early you can park almost on the beach. We used Pitch up to find sites. Had a great trip. Thoroughly recommend the East Coast

Attachments

• 20200912_094735.jpg
    20200912_094735.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 27

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A bit further south to Hornsea. We went last year. Started off at a temp holiday site in Ruswarp (Ccc) nr Whitby. Bus ride into Whitby. Then made our way down the coast. Hornsea a lovely find and if you get there very early you can park almost on the beach. We used Pitch up to find sites. Had a great trip. Thoroughly recommend the East Coast
That's some walk.... Got to be the best part of 45 miles

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Actually I got it wrong as a resident I should have said stay away it's terrible!!!. Saw the temp site in Ruswarp last year were about 500 yards from there and rowed past on the river.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We stay at Overbrook in Thornton le Dale. This gives you access by bus to Whitby, Scarbourgh or the inland to Pickering or Helmsley. A very pretty village with pubs, cafes and local walks up the river to Ellerbeck.
If you prefer to be nearer the coast there is a site above Robin Hoods Bay, Midlethorpe Farm in Fillingdale village. The old railway walk, the cinder track or coast path takes you to Whitby or south to Ravenscar or beyond. Again this on a bus route to Whitby or Scarbourgh. There is a nice pub and shop in the village.
A nice challenging walk is the cinder track and lanes to Boggle Hole returning along the beach or coast path to Robin Hoods Bay for a chippy before climbing back up to the site.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Whitby has some of the best fish and chip shops in Yorkshire and that mean in the World :drinks:

If you ever get the chance while you are in Yorkshire, treat yourself to a Yorkshire fish cake - on its own or as a butty.
Two big potato scallops filled with fish and deep fried in batter --- the finest

DSC01262.JPG

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
there's a pub in Hunmanby called the piebald inn, you can overnight in their car park, they have hook up, plus they do really nice pies
I had to look it up as it wasn’t called the Piebald Inn when we lived there and now it’s driving us mad as we can’t remember what it used to be called! If anyone remembers please let us know!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had to look it up as it wasn’t called the Piebald Inn when we lived there and now it’s driving us mad as we can’t remember what it used to be called! If anyone remembers please let us know!
In a Pickle.. I'm sure the piebald used to be the railway tavern or inn.... Just over the rail crossing on sands lane.
I remember the pub was pretty run down so may have changed hands and renamed in the hope of finding new custom. .

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
The new people at the Piebald Inn were recently on the channel 4 ‘four in a bed ‘

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Whitbys great, theres a campsite up on the cliff edge thats actuallyon the pathway of the walk ,with fantastic views and its a 20 minute walk into town, if you fancy a change of site further down theres filey and a council run site at filey brigg
magpie cafe does great fish and chips in whitby(rick stein used to recomend them)
and in filey(much quieter town theres a tea room with a tree growing thru it) you can go out on a pirate ship in whitby (good for the kids) it does get very busy , you used to be able to overnight down in the bigcarpark but i think they stopped that a couple of years ago: enjoy yourself its a nice area 👍

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Staithes is an interesting little village.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
That's the site we stayed at. Nice enough, would stay there again.

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
I am going to stay just outside Whitby on the 19th of April for 3 nights on my own as my wife is back at work and unfortunately I'm not, ( the airport transfers and chauffeuring business is still on hold for the time being ) So I've booked a pitch at Long Meadow Farm which is just off the main Rd between Whitby and Scarborough and across from the old train line that is now a cycle route. I plan to take my bike and cycle to Scarborough on the Tuesday, Whitby on the Wednesday and if enough time when i get there on the Monday cycle to Robin Hoods Bay (May push it back up the hill to save embarrassment and also so i don't get my tongue caught in the front wheel when panting ! ) Not been on my own before but I will enjoy a break.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back