First tic on the dog found (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Went for a lovely picnic and walk around Alstonefield on Sunday in the Peaks. Found a tic on the dog today, not huge but had been feasting.

Used to paddle rivers and lochs all over Scotland, it was full of them up there so used to getting them off etc.

Never had one this far south though.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I found the dogs were still getting them , especially Holly who has a fine, flat coat, even though they’re treated with Advantage.
Not had any since I’ve been spraying them with homemade spray.
Cooled, boiled water,
small amount of alcohol ( neat alcohol or vodka would do)
Rose Geranium oil.

Pour up to 20 drops of the oil into the alcohol, add to the water in a spray bottle.
Never use on cats, for dogs only. Don’t spray in their faces.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Found one in the dogs bed the other day.
Well fed and around the size of a marrow fat pea.
Made a hell of a mess of the kitchen paper when I tw@tted it with a hammer.
Her tic repellant was due for a re-dose, which I just did, but she fed quite a few this year before using tic and flea repellant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
See your vet and ask for Simparica,( phonetic spelling) we have German wirehaired pointer, and it was like walking around with a sheet of blotting paper whatever was going she picked it up, no problems and no ticks or fleas since

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I reported in another thread a couple of months back that it's been bad this year, it seems to have reduced some what since Spring but there's still a lot of tics.

Their proximity south is based on the animals they feed on, the increase in deer in many countries = an increase in tics.

Hollyberry we gave up on the RGO as over a few weeks of testing we couldn't see any difference with or without it. We did the same walks on several days and then tracked the number of tics and it didn't change.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Thanks for the tips.

We will see how she goes, I haven’t found one in two years and she does some real mileage with us.

Just reminded me to apply her anti flea and tic stuff. Haven’t done it for a few months as we stupidly forgot, probably didn’t help.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Went for a lovely picnic and walk around Alstonefield on Sunday in the Peaks. Found a tic on the dog today, not huge but had been feasting.

Used to paddle rivers and lochs all over Scotland, it was full of them up there so used to getting them off etc.

Never had one this far south though.
I had them on my dogs in 1999 in Devon before moving out here. That was where I got my first "O' tom tick removing hooks from.
that it's been bad this year,
yes sbad here but died away now. I use Advantix on my dog.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I would merely comment that no pet owners use Advantix or any other anti tick on themselves, yet constantly go to the same locations as their pets. Ticks are utterly democratic and completely unbiased and happy to feed on any type or group of blood.

Google Lyme disease ......

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Here's a link to the earlier thread:

Certainly the combing method has been our best way of removing the little buggers this year.

The Cocker has Bravecto and the Terrier now has a Seresto collar (was using Frontline+ but the 3wk effectiveness was too short). But even with decent products that are all up to date etc they typically bring the tics back home with them so be careful what you do with your dogs after a walk...

Sedge's point is very valid and the main reason we keep both woofers in our utility room for a few hours after a walk each day, that only after manual tic removal.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Google Lyme disease ......
Rather not, Thanks!. Seriously, yes nasty disease, best avoided. We fortunately do most of our longer walking on the beaches, local walks are mostly roadside verges. But once the Camping opens up, I guess we will have to start to observe greater vigilance. Especially where sheep have been. Wife`s Uncle used to put all his dogs in the "dip" after the sheep where done!. But they where never in the Farmhouse anyway.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
All of our walks are over fields so I've just bought a tick and flea collar made by Bayer for my Westie. It was £35, but Hey! he's worth it.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back