Thinking of converting a transit! (1 Viewer)

Shazmart

Free Member
May 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently between va
Exp
8 yrs
Hello. We are considering doing our own van conversion and like the Transit L4H3. If anyone has done one of these any tips would be welcome. Theres a lot of good info out there but mainly aimed at the Sprinter. We've been caravanning or MHing for nearly 25 years and full timed for a year in a Hymer A class. Looking forward to being back on the road!

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Double bubble silver insulation is for sale at Wickes / Screwfix for around £70.
A 25M X 1.4M roll did My LWB Hightop Transit Ceiling, walls etc.
Chinese Diesel Air Heater for warmth.
Saniclad Hygenic cladding 2MM thick for the ceiling.
http://www.leisurevehiclewindows.co.uk/ for side vent windows ?
Heki Mini Rooflight vents
I have just converted My Transit in to a Mobile Caravan & Motorhome Engineer's van / camper type van.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Back in the day of the old smiley face 2.5di we converted around 17 Van's hobby/business used to love them had my own hiigh roof moulds back then . Kids spent their summer hols on a beach in warmer climes ,ah them was the days (y)
98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2 (1).gif

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
andy63 has converted a few I think :)
love that avatar Helen (y):LOL:

as Helen says ive done a couple... an old mark 3 minibus which was rough as a badgers :LOL: but i I owned for 16 years and a more recent 08 mark 7 which was well kitted out and I sold on after using it for 6 years..

overall I think the transit is a great van to drive , but never has been the easiest panel van to convert.. the cargo space is not a nice square rectangular shape.. tapers quite markedly front to back and top to bottom so the layout is harder and fitting windows and skylights into the body properly needs more care I think..
a picture of each..
Andy

3E88A4AF-F878-4D31-B48F-7CEDC6E79CB4.jpeg

7375C44A-CB41-49D0-9105-8CD26EB9B53E_1_105_c.jpeg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you dont mention how old the transit is likley to be but anything over 5 years check for rust then check for rust then fit lots of security

OP
OP
S

Shazmart

Free Member
May 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently between va
Exp
8 yrs
Thanks. Looking at something more recent but will certainly take that on board.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome

Whenever I've driven a trannie van, I always felt it was a much better drive than all the other vans I'd driven and generally higher specification

I looked long & hard at transits for a van to convert, but I was looking in 2015 at 4 year old vans covered in rust - as were the Mercedes and VWs & they were priced 30% higher!

I believe the rust issue has now been sorted but the other reason for going for a 'Seval' van (Peugeot Boxer in my case) is that the shape - boxy - gives a lot more interior space - plus at least mine had the Ford 2.2 engine!

Last edited:

Deleted User
They are good to drive and reliable. You will get a lot of negative comments about being easy to steal but for very little money you can make them more secure than any other van.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Transits are great drive, but I have watched my convertor cut into both a transit and my CitroenRelay and the Transit cut like butter whereas he broke 5 blades cutting the windows in mine. Transit, because it’s narrow forces you to have your bed longitudinal not transverse, ( less than 6ft across ) so you eating into your kitchen/toilet space, so you have to go down the roro bed style. So however big the van is it will still feel like a small camper inside.
make sure you check out the revised DVLA rules for conversions.
have a great time designing it and buying all the kit, that is far better than having to do the actual work ?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Welcome

Whenever I've driven a trannie van, I always felt it was a much better drive than all the other vans I'd driven and generally higher specification

I looked long & hard at transits for a van to convert, but I was looking in 2015 at 4 year old vans covered in rust - as were the Mercedes and VWs & they were priced 30% higher!

I believe the rust issue has now been sorted but the other reason for going for a 'Seval' van (Peugeot Boxer in my case) is that the shape - boxy - gives a lot more interior space - plus at least mine had the Ford 2.2 engine!
each to their own but VW drive so nicley

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Welcome from a Ford believer. :welc:
We are on our second Ford based motorhome. The first one rotted faster than it used fuel but the Mk6 we are running now doesn’t seem as bad.
I can’t say I am a fan of Seval, Pug, Fiat or Citroen base for a motorhome. Given the choice first would be a Merc followed by a VW but financially it would be a Ford for me preferably rear wheel drive.
Reading forums the spares situation with Sevals is not good. Try getting a gearbox sorted or replaced on an older van.
I spent twenty two years working at the roadside with Transits until the last couple of years then we swapped to VW due to a change to lease vehicles. The rest of the fleet were Fiats or Talbots/ Pugs. They didnt often last the three years in use before they needed major mechanical repairs.
We had a scattering of LDV vans that were fairly reliable but they were very old fashioned. A Sherpa is a Sherpa no matter what engine or gearbox they put in it or call it.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Welcome from a Ford believer. :welc:
We are on our second Ford based motorhome. The first one rotted faster than it used fuel but the Mk6 we are running now doesn’t seem as bad.
I can’t say I am a fan of Seval, Pug, Fiat or Citroen base for a motorhome. Given the choice first would be a Merc followed by a VW but financially it would be a Ford for me preferably rear wheel drive.
Reading forums the spares situation with Sevals is not good. Try getting a gearbox sorted or replaced on an older van.
I spent twenty two years working at the roadside with Transits until the last couple of years then we swapped to VW due to a change to lease vehicles. The rest of the fleet were Fiats or Talbots/ Pugs. They didnt often last the three years in use before they needed major mechanical repairs.
We had a scattering of LDV vans that were fairly reliable but they were very old fashioned. A Sherpa is a Sherpa no matter what engine or gearbox they put in it or call it.
Have to agree with re spares on Citroen, mine needed a new wiring loom after just 1000 miles and it took a month. Since then 9000 mikes without any faults or further issue. But, your experience of Seval vans sounds as though it is based on commercial use, eg high mileage, possibly lots of different drivers, who will not lavish the love and car we MoHo owners do. Seval vans imho give you the best square/rectangular space to design a practical MoHo the metal doesn't rust like a ford or merc and they don’t cost the earth like a VW. Ask a VW owner what he thinks if their reliability, they drive great but break down More than they should for the price premiu.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Have to agree with re spares on Citroen, mine needed a new wiring loom after just 1000 miles and it took a month. Since then 9000 mikes without any faults or further issue. But, your experience of Seval vans sounds as though it is based on commercial use, eg high mileage, possibly lots of different drivers, who will not lavish the love and car we MoHo owners do. Seval vans imho give you the best square/rectangular space to design a practical MoHo the metal doesn't rust like a ford or merc and they don’t cost the earth like a VW. Ask a VW owner what he thinks if their reliability, they drive great but break down More than they should for the price premiu.
It’s all subjective 3 x Transporters 1x T5 2x T6 no reliability issues. 3 x Golfs Over the past 15 years no reliability issues. But I’m just one person.

OP
OP
S

Shazmart

Free Member
May 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently between va
Exp
8 yrs
Thanks very much. Will check this out.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Take what you want from this.
I drove various vans for work. Last two was trafic LWB. Good vans, but the last one, dropped two injectors that broke the head on the extraction process. Vivaro gave me 0 problems but to small. Had two transits before, one lwb. No problems, solid like a tractor. Our window fitters have two new fiats and one Citroen. Utterly tin and no soul. Our Brickie has a transit and is sound but still lack of soul. We hired a master, and then a movano. Specifically to see if is a good choice for our conversion. Surprise came when I tested a new crafter. This edition is made by VW, not the old merk-vw. It blue me right away, quality of drive, power, gizmos that really work, doors that don’t sound like a tin, euro 6 engine, 2.0l 140bhp and a respectable 30-40mpg fully converted. We settled for a 2018 used 18k miles, lwb- high roof, trend line, air con, and few add ons. I did the conversion myself, to a personal high spec and still came ahead on money if I would of bought a converted one.
I still can drive it like a car, and crush huge distance if needed, but in the same time, I can enjoy the luxury of a Motorhome. The metal in the body work is quite thick, well built, quality everywhere. The only hiccup I had was a recall for a software to do with the ad blue, and upgraded fuel filter. Now is almost on 45k miles, serviced by VW and still in warranty. Very happy with the choice, and peace of mind with VW cover worldwide.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I've converted five VWs over the past 16 years, all done good service and there is endless support on the internet to help with conversion ideas and conversion problems. i.e. https://www.t6forum.com/ and https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/ (which includes T5s).
As Raul says above, for a larger van the New Crafter is probably one of the best options and again the support is ever increasing as the VW enthusiasts take them on.

Broken Link Removed

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our first camper was a DIY Toyota Hi-Ace minibus, a grey import from Japan which had previously been used as a Tokyo taxi. We originally bought it to use as a base when kayaking (at the time our kids were seriously into competitive kayak slalom - one still is). There is nothing like freshly made hot drinks/ soup in the winter when you are cold and hungry. Much better than tea or coffee or even hot chocolate from a flask.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back