Updated Conversion Regs From 21 October 19. Graphics And Awning Now Required (1 Viewer)

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I phoned DVLA this morning and asked them to clarify the high roof requirement and the awning ‘bar’. I was told by a man called Rhys that an awning rail was sufficient. No mention of both sides. I told them I had an H2 van and would that qualify. Rhys checked with the relevant department and his answer was every van will be judged on it’s own merit. For me that meant that a high van included my H2. After visiting Birmingham NEC last week where I saw dozens of H2 builds by the professional companies, so if I’m stuck so are they. My wife is a painter so it was always our intention to add decals. But this afternoon I had to rip out some insulation to create a space for another window on the passengers side. I am lucky that my changes are not that costly ( £218 for a window, and an awning rail £17 ). I hope that others are also lucky. I am of the opinion that these changes are as a result of the growth in stealth vans.

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Someone else. For me it’s that I can easily sell the van if we don’t like using it. Never had one before, never had a caravan. Always ridden motorcycles and travelled numerous times into Europe, this is new and if I’m spending a lot of money on this conversion it would help if I could get it reclassified. I’m also really enjoying the build ( I was a woodwork teacher) so wouldn’t be against doing it again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
What is the advantage of registering as a motor caravan?
Cheaper insurance and van can be valued much higher if stolen or written off
Easier to sell if ever you feel the need.
Increased speed limits when on dual carriageway
Personal satisfaction of being able to get own conversion reclassified

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
. I am of the opinion that these changes are as a result of the growth in stealth vans.
But they will still exist?
What is the advantage of registering as a motor caravan?
Not a lot really.
At the end of the day you only need to comply with the parts that they insist on to get it changed & with the graphics you can bin them after if you want. Many would also do a decent job with covering letters, explanations & photo's of ...........................a completely different van if they are not going to inspect everyone.

Bertie Van

Free Member
Oct 19, 2019
Paisley, Renfrewshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Does anyone have photos of where is the best place to attach awning rails on a Boxer van?
How high up do you fit them?
Sorry if those sound like daft questions but being a newbie I am struggling to visualise what it should look like.
Thanks

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Does anyone have photos of where is the best place to attach awning rails on a Boxer van?
How high up do you fit them?
Sorry if those sound like daft questions but being a newbie I am struggling to visualise what it should look like.
Thanks
You don’t fix an awning rail on a Boxer or Fiat high top van, the awning is fixed to the existing fixing lugs on the roof using a bracket.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the info Mikeco, where can I sourse one and what does it look like?
The Fiamma F65S is the one for the Boxer or Ducato vans and you will need the brackets as well.
These just bolt onto the lugs on the roof and it’s a simple job to do although it’s a two person job to lift the awning into place. Having said that I did it on my own in around 30 minutes.
Fiammastore sell them.
EDCD1053-0A0B-4F37-8A4B-39DA1951C025.jpeg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
You don’t fix an awning rail on a Boxer or Fiat high top van, the awning is fixed to the existing fixing lugs on the roof using a bracket.
a wind out awning yes but if you want a caravan style awning or the roll out awning in a bag you need a awning rail however the guidelines say awning bar a term i've never heard of

Bertie Van

Free Member
Oct 19, 2019
Paisley, Renfrewshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
The Fiamma F65S is the one for the Boxer or Ducato vans and you will need the brackets as well.
These just bolt onto the lugs on the roof and it’s a simple job to do although it’s a two person job to lift the awning into place. Having said that I did it on my own in around 30 minutes.
Fiammastore sell them.View attachment 340889
That looks really neat too, thankyou.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
awning bar/rail/track are interchangeable. what you could do is fit a lightweight awning rail with double sided tape for the purpose of photos and if required inspection, then remove after

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Bertie, I have the same van. Take a look at DIY campervans on YouTube mine is going where the one in the video is fitted. I have solar panels fitted and can’t get near the lugs on the roof.

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Mitzimad. DVLA told me this morning a caravan type awning rail was ok.Why do they use words that are different? What the heck is an awning’bar’?

Bertie Van

Free Member
Oct 19, 2019
Paisley, Renfrewshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Bertie, I have the same van. Take a look at DIY campervans on YouTube mine is going where the one in the video is fitted. I have solar panels fitted and can’t get near the lugs on the roof.
Thanks Littleoldman, you could drive yourself crazy watching all the videos and reading all the forum threads, guess I just need to crack on with it, I thought doing up houses was like a money pit but it looks like vans are much the same lol

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Mitzimad. DVLA told me this morning a caravan type awning rail was ok.Why do they use words that are different? What the heck is an awning’bar’?

I found it hard to get a definite answer online but my interpretation is that an awning bar is the roll out awning whereas an awning rail is what you would slide a fabric room style awning onto. But guess it would all depend on the interpretation of the person checking your paperwork. Shawn

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I presume if an application gets rejected you can still re-submit with changes?
I personally don't want graphics on my van but it will tick all the other boxes, so I don't fancy sticking them on if it could pass without them.
Martin

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
If it don’t state size will 6” be enough?

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
And what qualifies as a graphic?
long swirling stripes, straight lines, compasses, dots, go faster stripes...........?

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
"2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation"

I have one extra window on each side so will this count?
I'm reading this as you need at least 2 windows overall and that they have to be on the sides not on the rear.

Martin

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
"2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation"

I have one extra window on each side so will this count?
I'm reading this as you need at least 2 windows overall and that they have to be on the sides not on the rear.

Martin
As long as you are not including the ones on the drivers or passenger doors, as it says.

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
As long as you are not including the ones on the drivers or passenger doors, as it says.
That's what I thought, but I watched a Youtube video yesterday and the chap on there perceived it has having to have 2 cabin windows on one side which would mean a re-design for me :(

Martin

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I like pop-top campers but the ventilation can be limited but the cooker etc can still in theory be used.
With the roof up there is more ventilation as you can open the zipped window.
Ventilation is very important in a motor caravan with regard to carbon monoxide.
If NOT to DVLA Motor caravan requirements the van will be classified as a van with windows.
I think that the DVLA is very easy going with regard to Motor Caravan Classification as there is no requirement for the LPG, electrics or ventilation to be checked. People do sleep in these vans. Some converters don't know about regulations they just see £ signs when they buy a panel van to convert for a quick profit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back