Updated Conversion Regs From 21 October 19. Graphics And Awning Now Required

Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
1 Year
That's what I thought, but I watched a Youtube video yesterday and the chap on there perceived it has having to have 2 cabin windows on one side which would mean a re-design for me :(

Martin
I watched that video too and concluded that he had got it wrong. What they are saying is that there must be 2 windows in the sides of the van not counting the cab door windows or those in the rear doors. So one either side in the lounge area will be OK.

DBK

Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does anyone have photos of where is the best place to attach awning rails on a Boxer van?
How high up do you fit them?
Sorry if those sound like daft questions but being a newbie I am struggling to visualise what it should look like.
Thanks
You can get awning rails which fit directly onto the fittings for roof bars, which should already be in place.

Have a look on here.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar garage
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Glad my Doblo, no graphics, but walking height only for 5' me is already registered as a motorhome. Do have some graphics though, wonder if you would get away with putting graphics on for the photos and removing them after you get the registration. How will insurance deal with a 'van with windows' which also has electrics, gas, toilet etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2014
Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
I watched that video too and concluded that he had got it wrong. What they are saying is that there must be 2 windows in the sides of the van not counting the cab door windows or those in the rear doors. So one either side in the lounge area will be

The guidelines quite clearly ask for at least 2 windows on one side of the van excluding the drivers door window. The reason for this is to make it look like a motor caravan and not simply a van with windows.

May 29, 2019
Deepest darkest North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter self build
Exp
Campervaning 9yrs
Got my V5c back last week, "van/w windows..."
Sent it away the week before the website got updated, just back luck I guess.

Thankfully I put 2 windows either side so I'm hopefully only looking at graphics and a £650 4m awning which we were going to get anyway, just not till the finances had recovered some what from the sting of the original conversion.

The language on the DVLA website is somewhat ambiguous, but that could be said for any of the government’s websites.
I'd rather be fitting a rail for a removable canopy/drive away awning but I'm not sure that's what they mean.

Nov 5, 2014
Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
It's difficult to know what exactly they want but if you keep in mind that from the DVLA point of view it has to look like a motor caravan as opposed to a van with windows. Adding graphics and an awning rail (doesn't have to be full on board awning) will help. I have seen a photo on a van that got accepted that didn't have an awning rail but looked every way like a motor caravan having 2 windows in living area, graphics, roof solar panels, skylight, wind deflector, vent for heating, inlet and outlet for water etc.

Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Crafter xlwb
The "Motorcaravan style graphics" is beyond stupid in my opinion. What is that even, how can it change with the times? Quantify!
It's an aesthetic aspect of the vehicle I really feel they have no right to a say on.
I really hate the "Motorcaravan style graphics" and I would be ashamed of carting around a monstrosity with that stuff plastered over the sides.
What next, no red or yellow vehicles allowed?
Mandatory stories on the back, similar to the 'smoking kills' messages on fag boxes, of how our beloved Dear Leaders have improved our camping experience?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMC Motorhomes Newark
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers