French dual carriageway speed limits. (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We have been bimbling around France for a few weeks now and I have taken great care to adhere to all the speed limits, sticking to the letter of the law to the point where it’s turned into bloomin’ hard work. One speed limit I can’t get my head round though is signposted everywhere on the N10 dual carriageway so it must be correct and that’s 80kph for any vehicle over 3.5t and no overtaking either. My van is plated at 4.5t and was last weighed fully loaded at 3.75t. This is incredibly difficult to do in practice as there’s always vehicles doing 70kph you want to get past yet you cant overtake, but French lorries come bombing past me all the time in the outside lane seemingly without a care in the world. What am I doing wrong? Have I misunderstood the signage? Am I the only one actually sticking to the law?

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We use that road a lot and to be fair don't take a great deal of notice of the 3.5t restrictions except when there is a camera. remember at 4.5T your limit on a dual carriageway is 100 kmph, 110 on motorway and 80 on a normal road even if it is signposted at 90 because you are over 3.5t...

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
This sort of situation could happen in most countries. The law says in those circumstances that you cannot overtake, so you’re doing nothing wrong.
Of course, it’s up to you whether you overtake or not. So, you’ve got to ask yourself one question. Do you feel lucky?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
How is The gendarme or the guy viewing the camera, going to tell that you are over 3.5T?. Just askin`.

Mine looks just the same as the 3.5t model if you look at the pictures.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Do they not have access to the DVLA database, realtime?

Perhaps?. It would then depend on them being aware that the V5 had the Gross Mass on it?.

Probably just another, way of increasing revenue anyway, as all these so called Safety Feature are. The one thing always forgotten (or ignored) is the real world fact that if you have to keep checking you speed you are (however briefly) taking your eyes from the road and its immediate surrounding. IMV which is the greater risK?.

And yes, I am aware of the existence of Speed limiters, I use the one on mine frequently. to avoid have to keep looking at the speedo!.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I cannot speak for France, I have not driven there for over 10 years now. But in the "old" days here, exceeding the limit in order to (safely) complete an overtaking manoeuvrer, was "acceptable" providing the driver immediately went back to below the posted speed. It`s Camera`s that cannot take a decision of that sophistication.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I hate that N10 the couple of times I've been on it I've noticed the Spainish lorries are the worst offenders. They totally ignor the speed limits and the no overtaking rule & if you keep to the limits they drive right up your arse.

I always use the free section of the A20, far less traffic and hardly any lorries. A few miles more but so much easier.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I hate that N10 the couple of times I've been on it I've noticed the Spainish lorries are the worst offenders. They totally ignor the speed limits and the no overtaking rule & if you keep to the limits they drive right up your arse.

I always use the free section of the A20, far less traffic and hardly any lorries. A few miles more but so much easier.

Hmm?. I used the A20 enroute to Park Verger. I thought it was fully Tolled?. mind it is 12 years ago now!.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We use the N10, but try to do the Bordeaux to Piotiers section on a Sunday when there are relatively few trucks about. We are 5t.
Cheers
Ed

Reactions: f6c

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

Unless you do a huge detour you'll still rejoin the N10 at Angouleme and under the restrictions to close to Bordeaux. If you've got a little time try Chartres, Blois, Le Blanc, Bellac, Angouleme for a change...

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Do the French still prohibit most trucks on a Sunday then?. For many years the only ones you saw on a Sunday where carrying Animals or Produce.?

Edit:- Did use to go A20/N20 Limoge to Perigueuex, and then N89? to Bordeaux. But that was because we stayed over at Parc Verger.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unless you do a huge detour you'll still rejoin the N10 at Angouleme and under the restrictions to close to Bordeaux. If you've got a little time try Chartres, Blois, Le Blanc, Bellac, Angouleme for a change...
I don't go anywhere near Bordeaux or the N10.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
I've just driven along the N21 for quite some way with an Artic sniffing my exhaust despite me going faster than the designated speed limits.

I kept 'losing' him at every island but he was soon catching up - he nearly came in for a cup of tea at one point.

But on the two lane (higher speed ) sections he still stuck close even when I deliberately slowed down a bit to let him overtake.

Ruddy foreign drivers .......

:france: :france::france::france:

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
I've just driven along the N21 for quite some way with an Artic sniffing my exhaust despite me going faster than the designated speed limits.

I kept 'losing' him at every island but he was soon catching up - he nearly came in for a cup of tea at one point.

But on the two lane (higher speed ) sections he still stuck close even when I deliberately slowed down a bit to let him overtake.

You're doing him a serious injustice, he's just hanging back to help you up the next hill with a nudge at the most appropriate time ;) ;)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Maybe he just liked the "scent" of your fuel additives? Not on ad-blu are you?. Had a German Campervan follow me at very close proximity through the Rouen Transit on time, he even ran a red light by the Marshalling Yards, to keep behind me!.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The one thing always forgotten (or ignored) is the real world fact that if you have to keep checking you speed you are (however briefly) taking your eyes from the road and its immediate surrounding. IMV which is the greater risK?.
How did you pass your test?
Surely you need to keep to speed limits in every country you visit.
You should be able to keep to a specific speed quite easily by listening to the engine note with the occasional glance at your speedo to confirm you are at the right speed.
If you have difficulty keeping to the speed limits, maybe a HUD device or sat nav with speed showing in your line of sight might be advantageous.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
How did you pass your test?
Surely you need to keep to speed limits in every country you visit.
You should be able to keep to a specific speed quite easily by listening to the engine note with the occasional glance at your speedo to confirm you are at the right speed.
If you have difficulty keeping to the speed limits, maybe a HUD device or sat nav with speed showing in your line of sight might be advantageous.
a) First time, a very long time ago, And an HGV re-take first time pass too, and still with a full clean licence to boot. b) I am very aware of road speeds, but recently we have been getting reports of people being "done" for 31 or 2mph!. Within such a small range it is obviously an issue. c) Modern cars especially, are often overgeared for economy, automatics of which we have 3, are notorious for creeping the speed up and even refusing to change down unless forced, and their road speed is not entirely directly equated to engine note. When you are changing from one vehicle to another as frequently as I do it is NOT as simple as you make out to judge speed from engine note. d) I have seen especially on "smart" motorway when travelling as a passenger a number of drivers who appear to be permanently checking the speedo. I would love a HUD display and think they should become mandatory. My sat nag is actually in the line of sight anyway and is a useful check on speed, and more accurate than the vehicle device. BTW I haven't been to France for over 12 years, and to be honest apart from perhaps re-visiting the battlefields and my uncle`s grave in Flanders. I have little desire to go.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I cannot speak for France, I have not driven there for over 10 years now. But in the "old" days here, exceeding the limit in order to (safely) complete an overtaking manoeuvrer, was "acceptable" providing the driver immediately went back to below the posted speed. It`s Camera`s that cannot take a decision of that sophistication.

Sorry to contradict you but I exceeded the speed limit by 10kph to overtake a truck on a motorway at Tours and got zapped and fined. Try and argue your case if you wish, my French is rather good and I know the chances are as close to zero of winning as your going to get

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Speed limits in France refer to the maximum plated weight of the vehicle, just like in GB. The actual weight has nothing to do with are you above or below the 3.5t.

If the 3.5t restriction sign is all alone then all vehicles are included. If there is a little picture of a truck with the 3.5t sign then it only applies to "commercial trucks/lorries"

If my information is wrong, and you get nicked, not my fault ... follow 'er indoors and don't listen to me.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Sorry to contradict you but I exceeded the speed limit by 10kph to overtake a truck on a motorway at Tours and got zapped and fined. Try and argue your case if you wish, my French is rather good and I know the chances are as close to zero of winning as your going to get
I was referring to the past in the UK, if you read the post again, not France. The Gendarmerie, like their Spanish counterparts are not known for their benevolence, even the UK plod in the past only ever turned a "Nelsonian" to it it was never actually legal. Since the advent of camera technology everyone is a Traffic cop it seems?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Could I ask how fast this truck was travelling if you managed to exceed the Motorway limit of 130 km/h (80 mph) by at least another 10 km/h to overtake it ?

Just asking.

:france: :france: :france: :france:
Not everywhere it isnt now, We ve travelled up from just below Tours today and were remarking how the limits are all over the place. We ve been travelling France for a long time and to fair many people; locals and foreigners alike used to hurtle down the RN's at a ridiculous pace, but ever since the 80kph limit has been bought in the speed limits are all over the place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back