Alde 2 Year Fluid Change - Cost? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Is it the same number on the site as in they don't seem to advertise that they do servicing?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Rang them and all booked in, its approx 70ish miles for me so not that far just North London which will be a pain but with a midday appointment that will help.

As always appreciate the help :)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
How are these people going to make a living if you question everything they suggest?
Did call him but he now wants £250 which prompted this thread as originally he wanted £185 which i would of just done but to be honest i am glad i am now going to Alde as at least now i will know it will get done by the people that have made the devices.

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
We’re there this week..........rung them regarding the system as it’s new to us on informing them of the colour,
They informed us that Carthago don’t tell them which fluid they put in so they treat it as a 2 year one as its possible it won’t have the corrosion element in it. So we’re having them do it this week, along with a complete check over. Can’t fault the price as it’s worth paying that bit more for going to the experts.
Just need to find somewhere to stop the night before now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
@rb62
Couldn’t stop last night as they’ve got undesirables parked at end of lane causing problems.......bonfires fireworks and speed driving night before MH has a bad night with them. Alde was great phoning us to let us know.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I'm still trying to understand why anyone a) makes or b) buys 2 year stuff rather than 5 year stuff.
Is the 2 year stuff better for disposal or something?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I'm still trying to understand why anyone a) makes or b) buys 2 year stuff rather than 5 year stuff.
Cheaper for the makers I think, anytime to save a few quid. Tight sods

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Just remembered that I don't think the two types mix, so you may need the 2yr stuff to top-up an existing system. Changing from one to the other might also cost more labour due to the need to flush the system well.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If bothered by cost, you could leave it in for longer (or swap the van). I'm sure there's plenty of leeway in the time it would take to degrade.

Don't expect any offers in Aldi, though. :)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We were told they can mix them as they topped ours up with the 5 year on top of the 2 year. Ours is being done next week anyway with the 5 year stuff.

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Ours is being done as Carthago won’t tell them what they put in, Alde class as a two year one going off the colour, as you say They will put the cheapest in.
Just landed down here and there in the process of doing
Oops never hit post yesterday

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
The experience at Alde was really good.
They spent a lot of time bleeding it as it turned out to be a difficult one to do.
They found a slight seep from one of the bleed screws and replaced it free of charge also found that some of the bleed valves were over tightened, seemingly they don’t need to be.
Nothing was to much trouble they answered all of our question and talked us through the system completely.
Wouldn’t hesitate in recommending a visit to them.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The experience at Alde was really good.
They spent a lot of time bleeding it as it turned out to be a difficult one to do.
They found a slight seep from one of the bleed screws and replaced it free of charge also found that some of the bleed valves were over tightened, seemingly they don’t need to be.
Nothing was to much trouble they answered all of our question and talked us through the system completely.
Wouldn’t hesitate in recommending a visit to them.
That’s good as there in a few days. Heard nothing but good things about them

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
@zac
Let us know how you get on
So after approx 4 hour round trip (longer than anticipated) Motorhome now all done. New 5 year fluid put in and more importantly the panel is now setup properly. Apparently the dealer had selected options that I never had and they were surprised the heating was even working.

Also the bed thermostat setting was not for the control in the bedroom. It was for the thermostat that was in the front cab. Something I have been trying to explain to the dealer on each visit for the last 2 years. All in all very happy and only £200. No other parts needed and all working as it should. Just wish they were closer but won’t have to worry now for another 5 years.

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
@zac
Glad you found it worth going.
It’s a 4 hour round trip for us as well but wouldn’t about hesitate in going back if we have any problems.

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
They say two years, but I wonder why. If you don't get it changed is there a sudden deterioration at 2 years + 1 day? After a bad experience a couple of years ago where a fluid change (by a servicing company) left me with strange surging noises when the boiler was on gas, this time, with my new moho, I'm minded to keep an eye on the colour and efficacy of the fluid, though looking out for any signs of corrosion. I have a refractometer to test the freezing point. If I can push the two years to three or even four, then costs become more reasonable. VW and Alde use the same antifreeze I think (G13?) and the recommended service interval on VW's is 4 years or 40k miles.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
They say two years, but I wonder why. If you don't get it changed is there a sudden deterioration at 2 years + 1 day? After a bad experience a couple of years ago where a fluid change (by a servicing company) left me with strange surging noises when the boiler was on gas, this time, with my new moho, I'm minded to keep an eye on the colour and efficacy of the fluid, though looking out for any signs of corrosion. I have a refractometer to test the freezing point. If I can push the two years to three or even four, then costs become more reasonable. VW and Alde use the same antifreeze I think (G13?) and the recommended service interval on VW's is 4 years or 40k miles.
You may be ok but for me I wouldn’t want to risk it and after having them sort out the panel as way it was well worth it. They were also the cheapest although not the closest. All in all I think with everything you can take a chance and you may or may not be lucky. For me it’s peace of mind.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
@rb62
Couldn’t stop last night as they’ve got undesirables parked at end of lane causing problems.......bonfires fireworks and speed driving night before MH has a bad night with them. Alde was great phoning us to let us know.

Still there I see then we had a nightmare with those nutters

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If bothered by cost, you could leave it in for longer (or swap the van). I'm sure there's plenty of leeway in the time it would take to degrade.

Don't expect any offers in Aldi, though. :)
The main ingredient of OAT (organic acid technology) antifreeze has a HALF LIFE of 480,000kms in a commercial industrial engine.
So before it's completely useless it's covered the equivalent of 960,000kms.

http://www.coolantexperts.com/coolant_overview/oat_coolant

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OAT antifreeze is non toxic and environmentally friendly. Shouldn't matter if its 2 or 5 year.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just be aware that if you buy Alde branded G13 antifreeze, you will be paying way over the odds. I just bought 5 litres of G13 concentrate with a 5 year use life for £19. add 5 litres of distilled water for £3 and that is enough to change the fluid in the average system

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back