Help! Where has my music gone? (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
i have a MAC book which I mainly use for storing music and photographs. When I connected to the internet today I had 13,423 songs on it. I replied to emails whilst listening to music. I now only have 11,788 songs. Where have the other 1,634 gone? How can I find out which tracks have gone?
I am completely mystified.

Thanks,

Lorrainex

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There are loads of possibilities.

Without a lot more info it’s impossible to say for sure.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
can you not restore your mac to the setup prior to your e mail checks? ie. yesterday
( also check your recycle bin)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Copy right infringements they will all disappear soon :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A couple of random possibilities:

iTunes has removed duplicates to tidy up your library

The tracks in question were temporary downloads from a streaming based service such as Apple Music and as such have been auto deleted. Spotify does something similar.

Just guesses based on nothing much.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Copy right infringements they will all disappear soon :Eeek:

Myth

90% of my music library is from non Apple sources and most of it has no DRM. iTunes has never messed with any of it.

OP
OP
whingyraindrop
Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
All the music was purchased. The majority was from my CD and album collection of the last forty five years. It took a flipping long time to put it on!
Duplicates haven’t been removed.
They aren’t in the trash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
All the music was purchased. The majority was from my CD and album collection of the last forty five years. It took a flipping long time to put it on!

There’s no way iTunes will delete anything you’ve ripped from a CD so look at your downloaded purchases.

Go to your account in iTunes, look for purchases and see if anything shows as not downloaded. If there is anything just download it again. You won’t be charged again - an iTunes purchase is lifetime, you can download it as often as you like.

Another possibility is the number of authorised devices you have. You can only have so many (I forget exactly how many) linked to your account to play iTunes purchases. If you have too many - Mac, phone, iPad, iPod, partners phone etc - authorised it may have randomly decided to unauthorise your Mac which would make the iTunes purchases inaccessible. I think it usually warns you before doing this though.

EDIT:

I’ve thought of another one.

iTunes doesn’t store the music files, just links to them. If the missing tracks are stored on a device or drive that it can’t find - an external hard drive that you’ve disconnected for example - they will disappear from your library.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another guess based on nothing much :doh:
At least my guess was based on recent news reports

My guesses are based on many many years using Macs and iTunes (y):D2

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes but the rules have now changed did you miss it

OP
OP
whingyraindrop
Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
PHEW! Thanks Nick. I just put in my iTunes pass word, didn’t need to do anything else, and all was instantly restored.
How can I prevent it happening again? I do have a phone, IPod, MacBook and iPad.

Lorraine x

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back