Life priorities......... (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2018
Funster No
Hello,

Having reviewed my life priorities recently i came to the conclusion that i do way too much planning (and sacrifice) for the future and fail to live for today. It is a fine balance, which i am not getting right at the moment.

As a result i am now entering the research phase of buying a motor-home to enjoy. I live on the edge of the new forest so plenty to do here and the continent is near by. I have owned before so i know i love it!

I've gave myself until March 2019 to research.
What am i looking for?

New or used.
50 - 60 k budget.
4 Berth.
Probably A Class
Fixed rear bed.

I intend to keep it for a good few years so it needs to be a durable, quality van.

Any suggestions based on ownership would be welcome as would a trusted and proven dealership. I think 60k on a private buy may be too risky, however again i am keen to take advice.

Thanks for reading and i hope to regularly contribute.

Cheers,

Pete

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Mine seems to fit your criteria - and co-incidentally will be available later in July when we return from our latest three-month excursion to Europe (y)

2009 Hymer B660 SL Bestline.
3 litre V6, full automatic, cab aircon.
In your ballpark budget.
4 berth, fixed rear double (transverse king-size) and drop-down front king size double.
5000kg, garage, 2 solar panels, 1kw inverter.
Datellite TV, Twin 13kg refillable gas with fixed external filler...
&c.

More details if and when, but in any case, it looks like your criteria point to a Hymer, Carthago, Frankia or Burstner - i.e. a european manufacturer.
Think about carrying capacity (and licensing) - 4 berth implies 3500kg isn’t going to cope. We travel with two bikes and a scooter with just two of us and though we have ample capacity, it does feel good not having to worry whether that extra case of wine is going to make you overweight.
Our size is big enough for comfort long-term, whilst manouverable enough for tight spots.

Finally - regardless if recommendations here, do your research diligently and don’t (nevessarily) jump at the first one.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi and welcome to the fun. Which edge do you live on?

Welcome.jpg

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've gave myself until March 2019 to research.

That sounds like a great plan Pete(y)

I visit this forum almost every day and I always learn something new. At this rate of learning I am planning on becoming a motorhome guru by 2027:D

Welcome to Fun,

Andrew

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sounds like too much planning go for a private sale on somethinh cheaper and expect to swap in 2 or 3 years when you use it your preferences will probably change

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Pete.....that’s a long time to wait. A whole summer gone and possible winter adventures missed out on too. Why the wait? :pink:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Pete.....that’s a long time to wait. A whole summer gone and possible winter adventures missed out on too. Why the wait? :pink:

He could always do what I did - here is my 10-point process to help finding the ideal van.:D

1. Omit the research phase.
2. Buy the wrong van on an impulse.
3. Trust the dealers advice.
4. Within weeks realise that you have rushed the process and have chosen the wrong van.
5. Become temporarily disgruntled with motorhoming for being a plonker and for omitting the research phase in the first instance.
6. Spend months finding the next van.
7. Deal with lots of dealers (which is just about the single most insufferable thing to do on this planet of ours).
8. Part exchange the van and lose money during the process.
9. Start to enjoy motorhoming.
10. Attempt to educate others into not doing the 'plonker route' to motorhome purchases.

Good luck Pete and stick with March(y)

All the best,

Andrew

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.
I agree with @The Wino. It has been acknowledged that most people don't find their 'perfect' motorhome first time around. Better to go for a cheaper second-hand one that you like the look of and use it as much as you can this year. That way you will be able to make a list of wants and don't wants so that you can make a more informed choice second time around. As the depreciation on a £60k van will be far greater than that on a cheaper MH then it would be very expensive if you got it wrong first time around.

Have a look at my signatures below this post ;) and good luck with your search.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Welcome , you need to end research phase way before that , otherwise you will be buying from what is left , as others will have
got the best from "end of season" selling . Buying from a dealer will give you a bit more protection , but you will have paid for it !
Buying privately will get you a far better VFM deal , but with more of a risk , unless you mitigate this risk by getting the vehicle checked out . Buying from a Forum member isn't a bad path to take , as they are generally the more " enthusiasts group " so more finicky :)
They also are less likely to try and stitch you up , in front of others who know them ? Planning and sacrifice all takes up time
which is a finite quantity , and you dont know how much is left !! So plan to use it more effectively :LOL:

OP
OP
Petec
Jun 14, 2018
Funster No
Thanks to all who have responded so far, just what I wanted - advice that makes re-visit my own thoughts.

Ive owned before and toured in Europe so this isn't my first van.

Won't get my hands on the funds until late 2018 so my hand is forced there.

Currently serving in Forces so 'planning' is in my DNA.

ive seen a few nice used vans in the price range so the depreciation aspect could be answered there, 2/3 years old.

That said, a surge in the £ could make a new purchase from a euro dealer a smart move.

Anyway, lots to ponder and very helpful advice.

PS: I'm in the southampton area of the New Forrest edge.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Welcome Pete,

Already some excellent free advice, join for full for £15 a year and watch out for Jim’s offer periods for longer than annual renewals at reduced cost.

Lots of information on here you can search on, including dealer reviews.

When you join you get free access to Jim’s motorhome buyers guide.

You seem to have your layout sorted, and the next issue has already been highlighted, weight.

Because of licence issues we may have to drop to 3500kg, but in the coachbuilt arena it’s pretty dire finding something for just two of us, so if your looking at more than two people then you are definitely looking at quite a high gvw. One major manufacturer at 3500kg has one model on offer and I can’t even get the second person in with the spare weight available once essentials to living are added.

It’s surprising how much you ‘want’ to carry on board, and then there is how you want to use it. Most site use means you can travel light on things like water, but if you enjoy the Group activities shows offer you may want to travel to arrive full, probably 100litres so 100kg. It very soon adds up.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Well in that case....enjoy the search. And enjoy the planning. My husband is ex forces and STILL loves to plan. I don’t. So he plans. He doesn’t tell me and I go with the flow.....saying, on occasion, “oooo! That looks nice, let’s go down there”!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hello and welcome it’s well worth considering buying in Europe there are some good deals out there to be had and lots of extras included in the price.
We have just completed importing our new Hymer B678DL really nice van.
Good luck and enjoy the Fun(y)(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back