Ham radio - Funsters with a cheap HF ?? (1 Viewer)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Long shot but if i dont ask someone will later say "i have got..... in the loft"

My grandson, Matty aged 13 (nearly) recently joined the air cadets and they did a bit of radio that seemed to spark a bit of interest. So to encourage him a bit more I was thinking of maybe getting a HF transceiver setup BUT not spending a fortune.. I closed my retail store almost 20 years ago and it's been at least 25 years since i was on the air, so way out of touch. Saw a Yaesu FT101 for sale locally and I remember what that was :D .

So my question, anyone got some cheap HF gear lying about and thinking of selling to a worthy cause ??

"Eyes LEFT" !! lol

IMG_20171109_182515_1.jpg

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Ahh he looks so cute in his uniform PLEASE dontd tell Matt I said that loll, hope you manage to get h set UP Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Afraid not. A lot of stuff on ebay but tends to be either quite good and expensive or cheap and junk. Has he passed his foundation exam yet? pretty straightforward even SWMBO passed it.

73s
2EODMV

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Has he passed his foundation exam yet? pretty straightforward even SWMBO passed it.

73s
2EODMV

Nowhere near that far into it yet..
Came home one night after doing the phonetic alphabet at the cadets and a bit of radio work. Seemed to have sparked a bit of interest so would like to encourage him. He asked if I had heard of the alphabet, I passed back in the 80's after the popular CB days and had a retail store selling radio equipment so my answer was "yes"... Told him to ask his Nan, she reeled off almost all of them (non licensed), so we were " cool / sweet" that night. :D

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Nowhere near that far into it yet..
Came home one night after doing the phonetic alphabet at the cadets and a bit of radio work. Seemed to have sparked a bit of interest so would like to encourage him. He asked if I had heard of the alphabet, I passed back in the 80's after the popular CB days and had a retail store selling radio equipment so my answer was "yes"... Told him to ask his Nan, she reeled off almost all of them (non licensed), so we were " cool / sweet" that night. :D

Just a bit of fun - can you remember the International/NATO Phonetic word for 'N' before it changed to 'November'?

AFAIK the only letter that has changed in the current phonetic alphabet.

Geoff

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Just a bit of fun - can you remember the International/NATO Phonetic word for 'N' before it changed to 'November'?

AFAIK the only letter that has changed in the current phonetic alphabet.

Geoff
Got me thinking there, was it a word that would now cause offence ?????????

73s
G4TEB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back