France first timers - which way round? (1 Viewer)

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
We're a couple and our little patterdale terrier recently retired early planning our first trip to France for 6 weeks starting on the weekend of the 12th/13th of May. Can't decide wether to go via the south west and Dordogne first then down to the south of France or, head straight down to the med over 2/3 days then come back up the west coast on the way back. This is our first trip abroad in our MH so we're complete overseas novices. Should we book a single trip ferry to give some flexibility on return dates or book return? Any advice / guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Take your time ,is my advice don't be in a hurry.
6 weeks give you ample time to enjoy the country.
When we go over usually twice a year for 3 & a bit weeks each time ,I never travel more than 180 miles a day usually quite a bit less , otherwise you only see France through the windscreen. Which ever way you go ENJOY!!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We're a couple and our little patterdale terrier recently retired early planning our first trip to France for 6 weeks starting on the weekend of the 12th/13th of May. Can't decide wether to go via the south west and Dordogne first then down to the south of France or, head straight down to the med over 2/3 days then come back up the west coast on the way back. This is our first trip abroad in our MH so we're complete overseas novices. Should we book a single trip ferry to give some flexibility on return dates or book return? Any advice / guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

What kind of things are you interested in? Wine, castles, landscapes, art, battle sites???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:xThumb:We did it down west coast across to Rhône alp then back up East using Aires,we never book a return as you are then free to shorten or extend your trip as you like,don’t forget dog passport very important including rabies injections.
Enjoy your trip:xThumb::xThumb:
We have since found that the municipal campsites are really good value.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Unless you want to see or go to a place in particular then have a slow drive there and back, you should get some good weather then and you could be guided by the weather..... what are your hobbies.? We just like seeing history and culture and France is a great place to just wander around and you will find many things to see and do around every corner...

We are thinking of doing a chateaux tour and do the rounds of some of the best or less known ones.....

Download Campercontact on your smartphone or tablet, that’s all we use and never fail to find an aire or spot to stay in....

Wherever you go you’ll wonder why you never done it sooner and you’ll have a fantastic time as France was made for Motorhomes....:france:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
P.s Others may be able to confirm or deny but the SW may be cooler than the SE in May - with cool winds coming off the Pyrenees. Perhaps it would be warmer going clockwise.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes, passports all in order.
Pet passport
Injection
Insurance
Break down cover
House Insurance cover for 42+ days
Next, your choice
All the Aires (maps, currently on offer at Vicarious Books, a thread on here)
Camperstop, on line
ACSI (discount campsite (not usually available July/August)
Check your vehicle insurance as regards return travel. Some companies require a return trip to be booked rather than an open return.
Halifax Clarity. Albeit a credit card, there is no charge for purchases and no commission (except cash withdrawal) and gives the rate on the day.
Revolut, can be pre loaded with euros prior to leaving if exchange rate is good.
Euros
Sat nav of decent quality (I use Garmin)
Possibly, Lonely Planet of France
We started going to France just over 10 years ago. Initially, like lots of Funsters, went to the West and south. Normandy, Brittany etc but we 'discovered' Eastern France, Champagne area and beyond then through Switzerland and Italy and headed back through Central France. Could quite easily headed further west and return via the West Coast.
Many options and there'll be much more advice in the next few hours/days/weeks.
If you're considering Paris, Lyon or Grenoble, you'll need the Crit Air certificate (or whatever its called)
Taking your dog. On the train, they stay with you in the Moho. On ferry, they go to kennel or possibly stay in the Moho but you can't.
Gas.... If you've not got refillable cylinders, it may be worth taking one full and be prepared to buy a French one, and adapter, because you can't buy 'British' type cylinder in Europe but you can exchange French ones in France but it'll be redundant once empty till you return to France.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just be aware that most chateaux and historic buildings will not allow dogs in. If you are ok leaving the dog in the van and the weather isn’t hot, you could then look around on you own.
But there are plenty of places you can take dogs and the French countryside, with its right to roam, is excellent for walking round.
As has been mentioned above, I would tend to start off clockwise. Going down the east side, Champagne is worth a visit to see the vines and producers around Epernay
Troyes is nice to visit, maybe get down to Provence then across to the Pyrenees ( we aren’t keen on the south coast, bit too busy) then up the west coast and don’t forget Brittany. No toll roads, gorgeous beaches and fine weather. We have done similar trips and I usually limit driving to under 80 miles a day, usually much shorter.
Take information about Aires( we use All the Aires and Campercontact) and my advice is to use those as much as you can. A book on places to visit in France is a good idea, or do some research online to find places you like the look of.
Of course, if you find somewhere you want to stay a few days, a municipal site is a good idea, we like them because they are usually smaller, quieter and nicer than commercial campsites.
6 weeks will go too quickly so leave your return open, and good luck.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I would suggest the Tunnel as the dog stops with you in the motorhome. Book your initial travel date and then book the return on line in France when you know the date.

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for all the advice - lots of great suggestions and info - much appreciated. Lots to think about.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Unless its beaches youre after then Beziers down to Spain doesnt hold much viewing capacity (imho) whereas 10 miles inland all the way to Italy from Beziers is truely stunning.
I would be tempted to get pas Paris on the hurry up (even with 6 weeks travelling) via Rouen Chartres and pop down and take a peek at the Dordogne, keep going down to Herault, go cross country to Provence and shoot up the Lyon road (non toll) and oik a right to the already pointed out Alsace region.
If you take it nice and slow that 6 weeks doesnt even come close to touching the sides of france but what it will do is give you a taste for a lot of different areas to go back and spend 6 weeks in each of those areas. - OK 3 months for Provence, a couple of months for the alps, couple of months for Rhone alps, then 3 months for alsace and the juras, Champagne region could take some time, but then you should have to get Normandy and Brittany in (which i advised to skirt by !) then you can revisit Britanny, the vendee, acquitaine, the pyrenees, the auvergne, the cevennes etc and leave Paris well alone.
So in short, i would go for the rookie mistake and try to do quite a bit without travelling too far to see what areas you actually like.
We all made the same mistake so i cant see why you shouldnt

Or just do the Dordogne in 6 weeks ! Thats the sensible decision

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
France is a BIG country. Don’t try and see it all in one trip.
Take it easy, don’t do too many miles each day and be guided by the weather forecasts. Have Météo-France App on your phone, plus Camper Contact and go with the flow. If the weather looks dodgy in the north just head south or reverse.
We try to get to our chosen overnight stop by early afternoon. That gives us time for a bit of lunch then time to explore the town/village before dark.
Do use the aires, most are safe and give you a great flavour of the region you are in.
Most of all enjoy what will be the first trip of many,

Richard.
PS. Written while on an Aire in central France.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I would suggest the Tunnel as the dog stops with you in the motorhome. Book your initial travel date and then book the return on line in France when you know the date.
Not all insurance companies permit travel without a return date but dates can be changed later

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Additional information
Reflective tabards in the Moho not in the boot (need to be accessible before you get out)
Beam benders (we use headlight protectors so square goes on those, not the headlamp)
Torch.
Euros in change
Toll roads are called Peage.
Massive empty space on return (for wine/beer etc)
Phrase book (just in case)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
In mid-May, my inclination would be to head directly south for the likelihood of warmer weather. Potter around from their on, making your way slowly north as the early summer progresses, and the weather continues to warm... hopefully.

But, as others have suggested, you might want to keep a close eye on the forecast and adjust your plans accordingly.

Lots of good advice in the previous posts.

Have a great trip and hope it's the first of many enjoyable continental adventures! (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Listen to all the opinions but be aware you might want to do things differently. You might want to do low miles see things in more detail or cover more and make a note of places you like too return later so you can cover more its a big country. I think the advice to go to the med side at the start is sound but if theres an early heatwave forecast change around its easier to get warmer than cooler!

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks again for all the sound advice and guidance. I'm sure to all you seasoned tourers the answers to our questions seem obvious! For us as continental novices it's really good to have your experience to call on. We don't want to rush things and understand France is a vast country with lots to offer. It's really important that our first experience is a good one and hopefully the first of many. I think on reflection we will head south over a few days in search of some decent weather and head back up via the Dordogne and the west coast over a couple of weeks in June.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
For "different" places to stay try France Passion. After you pay your annual sub (?EUR 25) the overnight stops are free though for your money you only get a place to park.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
France is far too big to see it all in one go. Remember that you have retired early so have the opportunity to go time and time again.

With that in mind I would suggest heading south first for the better weather, as some previous posts suggest, then slowly wend your way North. Choose a route either up the West i.e. Atlantic coast, Centre i.e. Central Massif, or the East i.e. Provence, Jura, Burgundy, Champagne etc, leaving the rest for another time.

On heading south you will make very good time on the Autoroutes. They are much better than British Motorways, in better repair and quieter. However, you have to pay. France is big enough to have the land available to have their National Routes paralleling the Autoroutes. These are good quality roads, often dual carriageway, and will allow you to see something of French life even when just heading south.

When you have the time to spare, take the backroads and stop off to explore the area. In particular keep your eyes open for signs to Les Plus Beaux Villages de France.

These are nationally recognised villages of special interest, beautiful architecture etc and always worth a visit.

Good luck, enjoy your trip.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Doesn't matter which way round you go. Just be aware that almost everywhere in France there will be something of interest.

Take it slow and easy. Keep your eyes skinned all around and be prepared to just turn off the road you're on to explore. We've found so many hidden gems like that.

It may help to have good internet access and Google maps satellite / street view to do your reconnaissance for you.

We always travel with full water and empty black and grey as often as possible so that any opportunity to overnight at any exceptionally interesting or pleasant spot isn't missed.

Basically, you can't go wrong (y)

Oh, a few things if you're going to take the minor roads:
# Roundabouts. They don't half love roundabouts, even though they don't really know how to use them. Make sure everything is properly stowed.
# Priorité à Droite. It's such an alien concept that it could easily catch you out. Be very careful especially in small, out-of-the-way villages.
# Speed Bumps. They're not as regulated as in the UK, with it's defined angles &c. They're vicious, and plentiful.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would drive through France as soon as possible into Spain.

Then relax and enjoy yourselves before hacking it back through France at speed.

If you get it right you might only need to stop for fuel once in France

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's not which way round for us but where's the decent weather. On arrival Calais we buy a paper with the national weather forecast then decide which direction to head in.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks again for all the sound advice and guidance. I'm sure to all you seasoned tourers the answers to our questions seem obvious! For us as continental novices it's really good to have your experience to call on. We don't want to rush things and understand France is a vast country with lots to offer. It's really important that our first experience is a good one and hopefully the first of many. I think on reflection we will head south over a few days in search of some decent weather and head back up via the Dordogne and the west coast over a couple of weeks in June.
Living in Lancashire you have many options for getting across the Channel. Undoubtedly, the short routes are the cheapest but if you are are happy to pay a bit more the routes from Plymouth or Portsmouth will avoid the M25 circuit. Brittany is a wonderful place to explore but very much out on a limb if using Dover/Calais or one of its clones. :)

My only other advice would be to enjoy the middle bit of France. The Mediterranean coast can be very disappointing in my experience. There are some great bits but a lot of less great. But it depends what you want. :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Last spring we went down the east side to the med, across to Biarritz, up to the Dordogne then over to the W coast near La Rochelle. Our reasoning was that we explored the unfamiliar places first, before resting in the familiar ones, plus we prefer the west coast to the Med. I like sea with waves on it.

The logic of heading south to the sun first whilst the rest warms up for later is good thinking, although by May it'll all be pretty warm anyway.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
My only other advice would be to enjoy the middle bit of France.

My advice too but please stay away from the Lot - there are quite enough Brits here already.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
And of course a few phrases could be useful , don't forget you'll also get answers you will have to understand!

-Bonjour je voudrais une baguette s'il vous plait (for the pronunciation , enter this in google translation on French BAM and click on the little speaker, their translation is rubbish most of the time but not the pronunciation which is perfect)
- Vous désirez autre chose?
-Oui , 2 croissants, 2 chocolatines, et 2 pains aux raisins s'il vous plait
- Avec ça?
- C'est tout merci ! Combien je vous dois?
- Dix euros vingt s'il vous plait

At the Bar (or café)
Messieurs dame bonjour, que désirez-vous?
-Je voudrais une bière pression, et un panaché pour Madame s'il vous plait, Merci
-Je vous amène ça de suite!

Right , that will do for today lol !

Amicalement
Frankie

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I'd get into serious trouble if I ordered a shandy for Madame!

Don't forget it's just meant to learn new words! We can put it the other way round... Un panaché pour moi, madame prendra un whisky frappé ... Sounds better for Madame? ;):D(y)
I'm sorry , you'll have the shandy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back