Nine things that can help prevent dementia (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Too late for some, they'll never remember 9 things..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Oh dear, I suffer from four of those risk factors so it's not looking good for me :(

Hope you all do well. All the best,

Stret . . . Stret : oh, whatever my name is . . .

IMG_0827.JPG

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Few years ago tried to persuade my wife that regular sex was a sure fired way of stopping dementia and Alzheimer's - I shall never know whether that was right or wrong !!!!!!!:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Can't help with most of them, but 'depression' and 'social isolation' can certainly be cured by MHF

But on the other hand, it may also lead to 'mid life hearing loss' (nothing against our music maestros but the noise level in the marquee can be impressive) 'obesity' (jacobs table/sunday bacon rolls/BBQ overdose) & 'high blood pressure' (currently being eased by inflatable/pop-up awning, as opposed to my earlier model with all the poles!)
  • mid-life hearing loss - 9%
  • failing to complete secondary education - 8%
  • smoking - 5%
  • depression - 4%
  • physical inactivity - 3%
  • social isolation - 2%
  • high blood pressure - 2%
  • obesity - 1%
  • type 2 diabetes - 1%

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I'm sure I read somewhere about 9 things that contribute to dementia (n)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
My 90y old Dad has dementia :(

His hearing is fine (albeit selective at times), he went to Oxford Uni when he was 30 and LSE aged 40, having left secondary education at 15, never smoked, went to the Working Mens Club several times a week for dancing rather than downing pints and has always been of slim build.

Unfortunately, Mum died of a brain tumour 20y ago and that resulted in him sitting in the house more and becoming depressed. 10y ago he got diabetes but didn't control it, believing that "a little of what you fancy can't do you any harm". Trying to persuade him that a box of Mr Kipling's finest every day was not "a little" fell on deaf ears (the start of hearing loss? ;) ).

Eventually he was diagnosed with vascular dementia, resulting from the diabetes reducing the flow of blood to his brain. I was surprised to find it at the bottom of the list, as it seems a reasonable physical explanation for an awful condition. And Type2 has shown a remarkable increase over the last few years.

Gordon

PS They diagnosed me with diabetes 3y ago and I'm working quite hard to keep what may be inevitable at bay (y).

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Well my Mum had Alzheimer's and my Aunt also, I can not see any factors listed here that relate to them so my conclusion is B----cks.

Martin
They're claim is that 35% of cases can be avoided by lifestyle changes, which means 65% could not.
Maybe your mum was in the 65%

Seems a strange coincidence though how dementia is on the increase - along with obesity, lack of exercise, diabetes, loneliness etc etc

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Pleased to say only fell down on 2 of them, high blood pressure & education. My mum had dementia started in her 80's but didn't get bad until her late 80's.
I don't see what "Failing to complete secondary education - 8%" has to do with it looks like they are assuming anyone who left school early (I left at 15) doesn't exercise their brain enough, doesn't take account of people like me who went onto further education and still have active interests that stimulate the brain.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you are looking at the list of risk factors you are probably middle aged how can you then modify the fact that you might not have completed secondary education!!!. I recon they made it a lot more complicated than it is all the things you know are bad for you increase the risk its not rocket science dementia is an ageing condition if you do things that make you age more quickly the risk increases.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
So the bit about hearing loss, actually does not say "hearing loss can lead to dementia", this is what it says;

Another major risk factor is hearing loss in middle age - the researchers say this can deny people a cognitively rich environment and lead to social isolation and depression, which are among other potentially modifiable risk factors for dementia.

Which is totally different. Maybe the researchers were not as sharp as they pretend to be.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I spent 37 years in secondary education if you include the time I spent teaching, and only finished 4 years ago - do I gain any points for that? :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I spent 37 years in secondary education
Does your blazer still fit?? I only ask, because I have spent 37 years in a secondary marriage, and the other day tried on a pair of my 'Y' fronts from the first year, but they only fitted on one leg. I have (quite rightly) put this down to inferior cotton from the time, and the fact that the jockey who modeled them is riding in the 2.30 in Heaven. The wife's wedding dress has fared no better. It will now only fit our Jack Russel. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back